February 2013 Moms

February 2014 (and a little GTKY)

I just saw that the February 2014 board is up! Sperm were meeting egg for most all of us this time a year ago. Did the year go fast or (epically) slow for you? Any words of wisdom for your year ago self that you would tell the future February mamas? What's the number one thing you wish you knew going into pregnancy/childbirth/mothering that you learned the hard way?
BFP #1: 12.30.11, MC 1.6.12 at 5w; BFP #2: 5.25.12, DS born 2.1.13; BFP #3: 9.4.14, MMC 10.13.14 at 9w
Chart Linky

Re: February 2014 (and a little GTKY)

• The year itself flew by. I would definitely say, enjoy being pregnant. I was/am a first time mom, and spent so much time worried and anxious about every aspect of my pregnancy, that at the time made it less than enjoyable, but I do miss certain aspects of it now. Like DS's big movements. The moment my water broke and I knew he was coming soon. All the ultrasounds I got to see him at, that I spent in a worried haze looking for abnormalities I wouldn't recognize anyway or signs of distress in the tech's face.

The one thing since having DS that I learned the hard way is: whatever you think motherhood is going to be like, don't hang your hat on it. I envisioned so many aspects of it so differently than it has turned out to be, and it has made the adjustment much harder. 

• It flew by! I just finally got my period and I opened my period tracker app on my phone and it was just about exactly a year ago when I had my last one. So strange.
    I wish I enjoyed my sleep and alone time more when I was pregnant because these boys don't let me get much of either. Though I was determined to go out as much as possible while pregnant out with friends the last weekend and out to dinner the night before and I am glad
    I did because I am not out barely ever anymore.
  • The year crawled by for me. I was an anxious mess during most of my pregnancy and it honestly feels like another lifetime ago that I saw that positive test.

I learned the hard way that epidurals might not work, and I wish I had been better prepared for natural childbirth. And I don't think anything can prepare you for the emotional ride of the first two weeks with a little one. I'd probably tell myself to remember how much is out of my control and to just enjoy each moment as they come along.
    BFP #1: 12.30.11, MC 1.6.12 at 5w; BFP #2: 5.25.12, DS born 2.1.13; BFP #3: 9.4.14, MMC 10.13.14 at 9w
    Chart Linky
  • It hasn't even been a year since I saw my positive pregnancy test and it already seems a lifetime ago. My plans and lifestyle have changed so drastically, even before DD just during pregnancy, since then!

Thankfully, I haven't had to learn any hard lessons so far.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It feels like a lifetime ago for me too.  I don't know if I even recognize a year-ago me anymore.  It kind of makes me sad actually.  I love DD and all, but I feel like I lost my identity and I'm not quite sure who I am anymore.  Pregnancy was rough for me.  I was a nervous wreck from halfway through second trimester on.  I wish I would have enjoyed it more, worried much less, and would have taken time off before LO arrived instead of working to finish up projects at work.  Ugh this is supposed to be a happy post and I'm dragging it down sorry!
  • I would tell myself to quit being such a cocky SOB about the lack of stretch marks. Those buggers come at you last minute and it feels like my body has turned into a horror show... Like when more zombies keep appearing and it seems like you don't have enough ammo to slow them down. 

I haven't learned anything the hard way yet... But it is hard to believe that this time last year we miraculously conceived our baby. My body was so off on when I should have O'd, my doctor was telling me I wasn't pregnant the same weekend I was having plantation bleeding.

My other advice to myself as a PGAL is to remember what my boss said about worrying. He reminded me as much as I worried about losing this LO, I would never stop worrying about him when he did come into this world. Which oddly, helped me a lot.

Oh! And follow your nesting instincts when they come. Don't push them off just because everyone tells you you are going to be late! Little bugger came early!  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wish I knew I was pregnant before Mothers' Day so I could have celebrated. (I mean, I knew, but I didn't KNOW.)
  • image Rosebean:

I would tell myself to quit being such a cocky SOB about the lack of stretch marks. Those buggers come at you last minute and it feels like my body has turned into a horror show... Like when more zombies keep appearing and it seems like you don't have enough ammo to slow them down. 

I haven't learned anything the hard way yet... But it is hard to believe that this time last year we miraculously conceived our baby. My body was so off on when I should have O'd, my doctor was telling me I wasn't pregnant the same weekend I was having plantation bleeding.

My other advice to myself as a PGAL is to remember what my boss said about worrying. He reminded me as much as I worried about losing this LO, I would never stop worrying about him when he did come into this world. Which oddly, helped me a lot.

Oh! And follow your nesting instincts when they come. Don't push them off just because everyone tells you you are going to be late! Little bugger came early!  

Totally this! :) Def didn't know that stretch marks still show up after birth...and still don't understand...but yeah.

• What a crazy year! It has gone so fast, and time is going to keep flying by as we watch our LOs grow up. I would tell my not mommy self Don't Do It lol! No really, I probably would have waited a little longer to have kids had I known what motherhood would be like and how it would affect every aspect of life and my relationship with DH and how I feel about work. I am in the process of buying a business right now, and having DD has made me second guess my decision a number of times. I also wish I would have enjoyed my twenties more, gone out more, got drunk with friends more, gone on more vacations. Geez, now it's making me sound like a horrible person. I absolutely love being a mom though! I wouldn't trade it for anything!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 1/20/12; missed m/c 2/17/12; d&c 3/2/12
    BFP #2: 6/1/12; EDD 2/12/13, DD born 1/5/13 at 34w 5d! 
    BFP #3: 8/27/14; EDD 5/4/15

• My husband and I had two foster children that went home exactly 1 week before DD was born 6 weeks early. We were waiting for them to go back to their mom to really "get prepared" and thought we had plenty of time . My advice would be that even if you think it's a little early....pack your hospital bag ahead of time with at least the basics.  Also, learn now that your plans and schedule will go out the window once you LO arrives!

• While living it, time dragged but looking back it seems like it flew by. I am so not the person I was a year ago and I'm thinking it might be for the better. I would love to tell myself to chill out, the anxiety is worse due to hormones and you will be far less anxious once the little nugget is born. I wish I had known that some babies nurse every hour and it takes them 40 minutes to eat so your entire first two weeks or so with your newborn will be spent latched together. And to not blink because it does go by so fast.
  • I think the year went pretty fast for me, with the exception of my last month of pregnancy- that went ridiculously slow. Words of wisdom- enjoy your freedom, because once you have a baby it all goes right out the window! It's all worth it of course, but I still have times almost everyday when I miss being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want, and not having to worry about DD's eating and sleeping schedule. Of course, as she gets older that won't be as big of a deal I suppose.

Number one thing I wish I knew... hmm.... I guess I wish I had known not to put so much stress on myself to get all the housework done in the first 6 weeks. I was thinking that being home all day everyday would be plenty of time to get everything done, plus some. Ha! I wish I would have known to expect to just spend the majority of the day laying on the couch with a baby, and that if I got to take a shower and eat all my meals, that should be considered a good day.

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• image kleigh926:

Number one thing I wish I knew... hmm.... I guess I wish I had known not to put so much stress on myself to get all the housework done in the first 6 weeks. I was thinking that being home all day everyday would be plenty of time to get everything done, plus some. Ha! I wish I would have known to expect to just spend the majority of the day laying on the couch with a baby, and that if I got to take a shower and eat all my meals, that should be considered a good day.

This! Yes

• It went really slow for me. I wish I didn't worry about ever little aspect of the pregnancy because really nothing is in your control.

I also wished I slept more, cleaned more and saw more movies/went out to dinner more while I was pregnant cause them days are gone LOL.

Nothing.....NOTHING can prepare you for the first month after birth. 

• image singingsea:
    Nothing.....NOTHING can prepare you for the first month after birth.nbsp;

It's like Navy Seal training.
    Chart Linky
  • SagenSagen
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper

It was a long wait, not gonna lie. The two week wait, especially the last week before my period would, or would not start was crazy long. Then the first trimester crawled by at snails pace. The second trimester finally picked up a bit, then slowed down again in the third trimester, and back to painstakingly slow the last few weeks. This is my fourth and last, and I was so excited to have him in my arms! Since his birth time is flying by too fast. I want it to slow down :(

I am loving every minute of him being a baby. Don't stress about anything too much, just enjoy it, when the time comes in 9 long months!

Mom to 4 cute kids, 10 y/o girl, 8, 6, and 1.5 y/o boys

• a13049a13049
    500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    image Sterling13:
    The year crawled by for me. I was an anxious mess during most of my pregnancy and it honestly feels like another lifetime ago that I saw that positive test.

I learned the hard way that epidurals might not work, and I wish I had been better prepared for natural childbirth. And I don't think anything can prepare you for the emotional ride of the first two weeks with a little one. I'd probably tell myself to remember how much is out of my control and to just enjoy each moment as they come along.

This was me, add in morning sickness the entire pregnancy and surgery for DH while I was 8 months pregnant. DH is done with physical therapy the week I got my bfp, I can't wait to settle ino our new normal.

• Really fast!  May of last year was really strange for me.  I knew, I knew, I 100% knew I was pregnant for weeks before I got the BFP.  We had just started trying but I could feel it.  DH thought I was totally crazy.  I kept testing every couple of days towards the end of May, and I felt validated, haha.  But also crazed becuase I was expecting more time for us to get KU. 

I wish I had known that your "available" love does grow with the birth of your second child.  I was really hung up on how I would love another as much as DS1, how will I make time, yada  yada yada.  You just do.  And boy do I love me some Cole Henry :)

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• image Sterling13:
    image singingsea:
    Nothing.....NOTHING can prepare you for the first month after birth.nbsp;
    It's like Navy Seal training.

YesBeer

• Fast and slow. :)  Definitely slow at the end.  I think the thing I'd tell myself is to go back and take a BFing class (we've had a rough journey with it) and when things aren't working to trust my instincts.  There were several times in the early days that I thought I should try something and within two days I'd have a LC or pedi recommend the same thing.  I kept thinking if I'd just trusted my instincts a little more that maybe we could have stopped DD's weight loss/got her gaining a lot sooner.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards