Breastfeeding

Pumping sessions

How long do you pump for? I have been doing it once a day for about 15 minutes as of this week. Should I be doing it longer? I've only been able to get an ounce from each side. Which I am fine with at this point. Will it eventually increase? 
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping sessions

• a13049a13049
    500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Honestly I usually do it for less than 10 but that's because I have a huge supply and I am getting about 8 ounces in less than 10 minutes.

• image a13049:
    Honestly I usually do it for less than 10 but that's because I have a huge supply and I am getting about 8 ounces in less than 10 minutes.

OMG thats a ton! Lucky girl!  

• I'm assuming you are pumping in addition to BF LO directly.  If that's the case 2 oz total is a GREAT amount.  The normal amount is about 1 oz for each hour.

Most women pump to replace feedings, so they get more and will sometimes pump longer.  I pump for 20 min.  Some pump for longer when they replace a feeding because they get a 2nd (or 3rd) let down around 20 or 25 min.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image alie78_80:

I'm assuming you are pumping in addition to BF LO directly.  If that's the case 2 oz total is a GREAT amount.  The normal amount is about 1 oz for each hour.

Most women pump to replace feedings, so they get more and will sometimes pump longer.  I pump for 20 min.  Some pump for longer when they replace a feeding because they get a 2nd (or 3rd) let down around 20 or 25 min.

Thanks! Yes i pump after nursing him in the morning...forgot to add that!  

• I pump for 10 min right after I feed my LO in the morning. For me I have up and down days. Some days I get 1 oz, some 3! I try to drink a full glass of water before. Sometimes I will get two let downs, and sometimes just one. It helps to have my LO in front of me too!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ~I have a baby in heaven 3-20-12~ The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning;great is your faithfulness.(Lamentations 3:22-23)
  • a13049a13049
    500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    image KMLilly143:
    image alie78_80:

I'm assuming you are pumping in addition to BF LO directly.  If that's the case 2 oz total is a GREAT amount.  The normal amount is about 1 oz for each hour.

Thanks! Yes i pump after nursing him in the morning...forgot to add that!  

Well this totally changes my answer, when I pump after feeding I will usually get about an ounce in the side I fed off and 23 ounce off te other side

• I've always done about 20 minutes a session. I find you do get more milk as your body gets used to the pump.

• I always did 15 minute long sessions.  As DD got older I got more volume, to a point.  I leveled off at 3 oz by the time she was 3 or 4 months old.  That was straight pumping though, not pumping after feeding.  I only did that a few times before going back to work to get used to pumping.