3rd Trimester

For STM or knowledgeable about delivery

Does the second delivery come sooner, around the same time, or after your first birth.

For instance, I had my son at 36 weeks and some change, should I expect that this baby will come around the same time...sooner....later???

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
j J

Re: For STM or knowledgeable about delivery

• Was there a reason you delivered so early the first time? That would factor into whether it might happen again.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• image AmandaEricB:
    Was there a reason you delivered so early the first time? That would factor into whether it might happen again.

This...and although many second babies do come sooner, it's not a sure thing.
  • No, My water was leaking throughout the night and I went into labor at 7 in the morning......I wasn't working or doing anything that would cause me to go into "early" labor.
    j J
  • OB told me that it's common to go earlier with your second, but it's no guarantee or anything.  My first was late and I had to be induced.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was told there is no reason to expect a pattern if you have only had one child... I however, had my water break (and had to be induced) at 37.5 weeks with my son, and then had my water break (and had to be induced at 37 weeks with my daughter... So I am now a little over 36 weeks and getting nervous.  Plan for early, and be okay if it is late.
  • image Jackateolive:
    I was told there is no reason to expect a pattern if you have only had one child... I however, had my water break (and had to be induced) at 37.5 weeks with my son, and then had my water break (and had to be induced at 37 weeks with my daughter... So I am now a little over 36 weeks and getting nervous.  Plan for early, and be okay if it is late.

Ok. Just trying to figure out when to stop working. I don't want to push myself into early labor. Even though my son was considered full term he was a few ounces from being 4lbs.....just want to be on the safe side.

j J
  • first born at 36 weeks, 5 days - but after many days of bedrest, drugs to stop pre term labor and hospital stays starting at 30 weeks.  second born - we did lots of preventative measures - bed rest at beginning of 7 months, progesterone supplements, etc. - delivered her at 39 wks, 5 days.  Now I am 38 wks, 2 days and waiting on baby number 3 with no signs of labor. 
  • Well I was born at 34 and my little sister was 37. Usually I think the second is sooner but maybe that doesn't apply when the first is a premie

• ceechieceechie
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    I had my dd1 at about 41 weeks and was induced. I went into labor at 2:45 am, when I was scheduled to be induced morning with ds2 at 41 weeks.
    The only difference for me was that I went Into labor on my own second round.
  • blush64blush64
    2500 Comments 250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its

As PP said, unless there is a reason your babies will come early there is no way to know if the second will be earlier, later or the same.

MY second was a week later than my first. I only know of one woman who had a pattern of early births that kept getting earlier but she had issues causing them. I know people whose second baby was later and some who were earlier and even a couple who were on time. My mother had her first a month early, the second 4 days late and the last two 2 months early. (the last two were twins) 

• I went into spontaneous labor with DS1 at 37w5d.  My twins were born via c/s at 37w4d.  I sit here now at 40w3d and have a RCS scheduled if I don't go into labor by Monday afternoon.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015

babybaby
    baby development
  • I had my first at 38 weeks 1 day and my second at 39 weeks 5 days. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had both my girls at 40 weeks and 5 days.

My sister had all 3 of her children at 38 weeks and 4 days.

However, I don't think there's any particular rule, I know plenty of people with multiple children whose length of gestation has been quite varied.

Elizabeth 3yrs old Jane 1yr old

• kdm06ckdm06c
    5000 Comments 250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its
    Bored and lurking..

My first was born 10 days before his due date. My second was born 9 days before his due date. My OB told me that usually they come around the same time but the actual labors are much shorter.

GL!
    imageimage
    imageimage

• My second did come earlier but was still past my due date. DS was born 42 weeks and my DD was 40 weeks I don't remember how many days.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think there is a good rule for when your babies come. DD was born 37w4d and DS was 41w1d (induced).  But my actual labor was much quicker the second time around.  Both kids needed cervix ripeners and pitocen but DS was about half the time and effort that DD was.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My first was 14 days early.My second was 12.There was ten years in between those labors and I was definetly active both pregnancies.i am 36 wks 5 days now and have been having contractions for weeks.You never know.Chances are you will go before 40 wks but maybe not as early as your first.This is just my opinion btw

• I went into unexplained PTL with my DS1 at 33wks.. So far I am 35w2d with DS2.. so for me the 2nd did not come earlier (thank god!) though I have heard that. Every pregnancy and baby is different though, so there really isnt any sure fire way to tell when. 

Of course if you had a certain condition with your first then you are at a higher risk of having the same condition the 2nd time around.. but you may not! I was at a higher risk of PTL, but so far so good!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards