Pre-School and Daycare

How big is your pre-k class?

DSs preschool just sent home a notice that said their pre-k class is completely full for next year (we had already enrolled him for 3 days). Out of curiosity I asked the director how many students were going to be in the class and she said 20. This seems like a whole lot of 4-5 year olds to me, even with 2 teachers. This is a preschool, not a daycare, in case that makes a difference.

Re: How big is your pre-k class?

• At capacity, our twos class has 10.  The 3s class has 12, the 3/4s has 12 and the fours class has 12. 

Every class has a teacher and aide and it is a co-op, so there is always a parent too.  The fours class is the worst.  The boys are wild and handsy, the girls either sensitive and whiny or wold with the boys.  Everytime there was free time there was constantly drama and fires needing attention.  If I'd known that about that age, I'd never have my kids in a 4s class of 20 kids.  Ever. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mgrulkemgrulke member

Most 4-5 yr old rooms can do 10-12 kids per teacher

so if there is 2 teachers in the room that is very do-able.

• Loading the player...
  • roxy_jjroxy_jj member
    DD had 20 kids with two teachers and DS will have the same in the fall.  Right now DS has 10 kids with 1 teacher. 
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • rsd12rsd12 member
    Our state law is max 8 kids per teacher. So my oldest had between 13 to 16 kids per class. My middle guy is at a different preschool with one teacher and two aids, he has about 16 kids in his class.

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • DD's school does a 1:7 ratio, so there are never more than 14 kids in a class.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • 15 with one teacher and a part time aide.  

There is a state law that caps Prek- 4th grade at 22 kids.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our class has a max of 12 kids, that is with two teachers, part of our public school.
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jnksmomjnksmom member

DD's class has 14 this year but would max at 16 with 2 teachers. I think 20 with 2 teachers would be fine but I would not want more than that in a 4-5yr old class.

DS's class last year had 21 with 3 teachers. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • 16-18 with a main Teacher and a Teacher aid.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 16 kids with 2 teachers
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • imagecmeon_the_water:
    imageLoveEeyore:

At capacity, our twos class has 10.  The 3s class has 12, the 3/4s has 12 and the fours class has 12. 

Every class has a teacher and aide and it is a co-op, so there is always a parent too.  The fours class is the worst.  The boys are wild and handsy, the girls either sensitive and whiny or wold with the boys.  Everytime there was free time there was constantly drama and fires needing attention.  If I'd known that about that age, I'd never have my kids in a 4s class of 20 kids.  Ever. 

This made me laugh. :) We have a very-heavy-boy leaning class on the upper ages this year, and wow, they are wild little things (even the calm "rules" kids get their moments). I can tell instantly what teacher is outside when I pull up and open my car door and hear the sounds of the outside play, though- we have some absolutely amazing teachers, one in particular is just so quiet and sweet and awesome- and she has those kids by the toes. They DO NOT fwck with her, and I swear she has NEVER so much as raised her voice at them- just magic.

This is how DD's teacher is :)  She is awesome.  There are 10 boys and 8 girls in the class (2 teachers), and the class is totally under control.  They have a lot of fun, but every time I've dropped in, the kids are really well-behaved.  I went on DD's birthday and read a story to her class, and the kids were fantastic.

• DD1's class maxes out at 16 with two teachers. But they don't have all the kids enrolled all the time -- some only come T/Th, some come all four days that they have class. 

It seems like on a regular basis, there's really only about 12-14 kids there on a given day for one reason or another.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • kpips20kpips20 member
    Thanks for your replies. In his class this year the largest day has 17 kids and that seems like a lot, even with 2 full teachers. His school is starting a PM class for 3 of the days which they said they'll cap at 15 with the two teachers, I may  see if that's an option for us.

• DD1's 4K class was 19 kids with 1 teacher and an aide.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Alex26Alex26 member

The 2 days that he goes (Tuesday & Thursday) there are about 15-20 kids in his pre-k class.

• KL777KL777 member
    There are two pre-k classes at DS'school.  Class #1 has 14 students in it and class #2 has 11.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• shannmshannm member
    21 with one head teacher and two assistants.  There are part time options and there are only a couple of days when all of the kids are there at one time.  In addition, the age range is 3-5.
  • 15 kids. There are 2 main teachers and 1 aide. The main teachers have 1 day off/week, so when there's only 1 main teacher, there are 2 aides.
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    My DD's PreK class has 20 kids and the other class has 14 kids and they do a lot of stuff together.  The 20 kid class has 2 full time teachers and a teacher assistant.  Basically one teacher opens and the other closes (they do before and after care as well so they are open from 6:45am -6pm).  The teacher assistant works mid-day so they always have 2-3 adults in the room with the exception of the 1st and last hour or so when they have less kids.  I think state law at this age is 10 kids per adult.  The other class has 1 teacher and 1 assistant.  The 2 classes are often on the play ground together so you end up with more adults and if they are on the big play ground at the school, the para's from the elmentary are out there as well.  This is a full time, 5 day a week program.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Ou son is in a Early Intervention class mostly with non special needs children. Usually his in a class of 10-12 with 2 teachers and paraprofessional for the kids who need extra help. 
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • pea-kaypea-kay member
    the boys each have 20 kids in their classes. (they're in separate classes.)
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"