September 2012 Moms

Does your kid use a lovie/blanket to sleep?

Does your kid use a lovie or blanket to sleep?

DS doesn't have one now but I'm wondering if I should give him one.  If he sleeps fine without one, do you think I shouldn't give him one so we don't have to worry about losing it/weaning from it?

Re: Does your kid use a lovie/blanket to sleep?

• Newt69Newt69
    1000 Comments 100 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    D has one, and he love them, we have 1 for the car, crib and living room for night time. It keeps him from pulling his hair .

I'm not worried about weaning from it, I think it's good for them to have something to sleep with
  • We have a couple that were given to us as gifts and she doesn't give a shiit about them. I am not sure if it's too "early" for her to attach herself to one or if she is just going to be a kid that doesn't have one.
  • we have those A+A lovie blankets, and have two different lovie animals.  One for home, and one for daycare.

He loves them all, especially the silky part. It helps soothe him and calm him enough that he can fall asleep.  Boy is too interested in everything to let himself fall asleep half the time.

Little B 9.20.12
  • KisstyKissty
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Second Anniversary
    My LO has a specific blanket that he sleeps with.  I think he likes that it is super soft.  He has never pulled it over his face, but he does play with it when he wakes up.  IMO if LO sleeps just fine without something why add it?  But if you do decide to give him something I don't see anything wrong there.

imageimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Charlie has a lovie she sleeps with.  I used to let her fall asleep with it and then take it because I was nervous.  Then she started waking up as soon as I picked it up whether she was holding it or not.  

If she would sleep well without it I don't think I would worry about giving her one at this point. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nora uses an A&A swaddling blanket. She pulls it up to her face and rubs it on her cheeks until she falls asleep.

Small potatoes.
  • harti09harti09
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary

They each have an Angel Dear blankie. DD loves hers. When I put her down in the crib, the first thing she does is reach for it. DS likes his too, but only cuddles with it about half the time.  

B/G TWINS born at 35wks 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• P has one.  It's a super soft thing with satin edges.  I actually had to buy a 2nd one for my H!  He also has a soft monkey he sleeps with.

• hmp1hmp1
    Ninth Anniversary 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    If he sleeps fine, I wouldn't. James started sleeping with an A&A blanket around one years old. I stopped using a sleep sack when he started pulling up a lot.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• PokedotPokedot
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper

He does not have a lovie that he specifically "has to have" at any given moment. He's not much of an attached kid when it comes to things like that. He actually stopped using his paci about 3 months ago completely. We went cold turkey and he won't take one now.

He does have a blanket he sleeps with but it's more for keeping him warm and comfortable than to put him to sleep. He could go with or without it.

• I keep trying with hopes that it will help him sleep but so far no luck.

• Ferber actually recommends having an item like a lovie or toy for your kid to sleep with that he can expect to always be there.  DD has a couple of lovies- both soft mini blankets with an animal head on one corner.  She tends to fall asleep after she rolls to one side and hugs the lovie to her body.  I like having an item that gives her comfort that she can take with her if she sleeps somewhere beside her crib, and I'm not worried about weaning her from it as I think it's fine to sleep with a lovie or stuffed animal through most of her childhood. 
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Anthony has a teddy bear that he wrestles before falling asleep. Once he is sure that he has won, he throws the bear to edge of the crib.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD2 has one. I started giving it to her about 3-4 months ago? We have a few copies, so if one gets dirty, we still have a backup while it's being washed.

I am pro-lovie. We gave DD1 a lovie at 3 months old as well, and now at 3.5 years old, she still loves it. Takes it with her everywhere. It comforts her greatly.

I don't think you have to wait until THEY pick a toy, you can choose one and offer it at 3-4 months old. For us, it worked with all three kids so far, they love the lovie we picked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was about to ask this exact question, thanks Sqeegy! I am thinking of introducing a "lovey" and seeing if that may help Colby when he wakes up MOTN (hey, at this point, it can't hurt, right?)

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • E has one. We have Angel Dear zebras. They sell them as "a pair and a spare" so when he spits up all over one, we have back up

He holds it and rolls around with it. Idk if it helps but he seems to like it.

• image CdnFarmGirl08:

I keep trying with hopes that it will help him sleep but so far no luck.

Haha me too! I think it's so cute! But then again I'm sure I'd curse myself later. My luck he'd be 17 and still walking around with it.

• jlk6jlk6
    2500 Comments 250 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Ds sleeps with a blanket. I did that to help with transitioning him from the sleep suit. He seems to like cuddling up with it. But sometimes he will be moving around so much in the crib that he ends up asleep without it being by him.
    Momma to Connor (9/2012) and Baby K (11/2014)
  • She has a small stuffed bunny she sleeps with. We introduced it as a sleep aid just a couple weeks ago when she seemed to calm down whenever we gave it to her. She seems to wake up happier with it in there, which is a big plus.
  • AJ has two monkey head blankets. He likes to cuddle them when he sleeps. He usually sleeps on his side and has one on each side of him. That way when he rolls over there's one right there to cuddle. He also has the seahorse in his crib that he will sometimes cuddle with. I like it because if we go somewhere I can take a lovie and his seahorse with and he'll sleep anywhere.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mnkatemnkate
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary

Augs has one we keep in his crib. When I lay him down, he immediately grabs it and buries his face in it. 

We don't take it anywhere else though, and he's fine with that.  

• N started pulling down a bunny from the top of her crib around a month ago, so I've just left it in there.  On Monday my Mom got her a big fish.  She now cries if she can't see fish.  It's hilarious.  Fish is her new sleeping companion.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• image tonir319:
    image CdnFarmGirl08:

Haha me too! I think it's so cute! But then again I'm sure I'd curse myself later. My luck he'd be 17 and still walking around with it.

We have a friend that slept with his stuffed bunny (named Greg) until maybe a couple of years ago. I know he still slept with it after high school.

Dude turned 30 just recently. So, mid-twenties is when he got rid of it.

Your fear can come true. ;) 

• image the mathlete:
    image tonir319:
    image CdnFarmGirl08:

We have a friend that slept with his stuffed bunny (named Greg) until maybe a couple of years ago. I know he still slept with it after high school.

My BFF of 25+ years still sleeps with her blankie "Plump."  She has it in it's own pillowcase on her bed.  She is 33.  My Mom makes beautiful quilts for the babies in my family and both my nieces (21/22) and my cousin (26) still have pieces of their blankets that they also keep in pillowcases.  It's totally bizarre to me, yet funny.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• JebergJeberg
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments
    Alivia has a blanket she likes to cuddle up to when she is falling asleep. I used to put it on her after she fell asleep because our house can get chilly but the more mobile she became the more she would grab it and snuggle with it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Not one thing in particular, but she is partial to her seahorse & a giraffe rattle lovie. If she fusses when I put her down, I will give one of them to her & they help distract her to sleep, lol.

• F no, I am an empty-crib-only safety freak. DD just sleeps in a sleepsack and will for quite a while. DS did until well after one. Kind of funny, though, because he NOW has a special blanket for sleeping and a freaking zoo of specific stuffed animals that HAVE to be in his bed in certain places. I think it started around age 2. 

Not in TX any more! - Central PA
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image MarisaKathleen:
    image the mathlete:
    image tonir319:
    image CdnFarmGirl08:

My BFF of 25+ years still sleeps with her blankie "Plump."  She has it in it's own pillowcase on her bed.  She is 33.  My Mom makes beautiful quilts for the babies in my family and both my nieces (21/22) and my cousin (26) still have pieces of their blankets that they also keep in pillowcases.  It's totally bizarre to me, yet funny.

I'm guilty of this, too. I still sleep with my teddy bear, Mr. Hershey. He comes with me on overnight trips, too. Embarrassed