Working Moms

Anyone travel extensively?

I currently travel a few nights a month, which is a nice break, but an internal position just posted with extensive travel. It would be a fantastic role, a promotion, I wouldn't have to move (which is extremely rare in my company!), and my boss said to go for it (he would help me w/ whatever I need). I'm just worried about extensive travel with 2 little ones (4 and 17 mos). Is it difficult? Do you enjoy it? Hate it? I really want to move up in my career and make more money, and obviously this is just an application, not an offer so I'm probably jumping the gun. I'm just really excited about this posting :)
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone travel extensively?

• docco11docco11
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Love Its

I am not due until Sept but, I qam also in the same boat.  The day before I found out we were expecting, I was given a fantastic promotion which would require a lot more travel.  Currently I just travel a few times a month but I live in Las Vegas and I host clients frequently (who doesn't want to come to Vegas) so I am gone quite a bit during the week.  Do you have family or friends to assist your H?

My H also travels so I told my boss that I wouldn't be able to travel any more than what I do now.  We live 2000 miles from any support system, if we had grandparents, friends, siblings, etc, to help out, it would be different.

• JLS0320JLS0320
    2500 Comments Fourth Anniversary
    image docco11:

I am not due until Sept but, I qam also in the same boat.  The day before I found out we were expecting, I was given a fantastic promotion which would require a lot more travel.  Currently I just travel a few times a month but I live in Las Vegas and I host clients frequently (who doesn't want to come to Vegas) so I am gone quite a bit during the week.  Do you have family or friends to assist your H?

My H also travels so I told my boss that I wouldn't be able to travel any more than what I do now.  We live 2000 miles from any support system, if we had grandparents, friends, siblings, etc, to help out, it would be different.

My parents are very involved and only live a mile from us, so they would be/are a huge help to us. Also, my husband does not travel at all which is another perk if I were to start 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use to travel one week a month on average before kids and it did get old after a while felt like I was always packing. Now I travel several times a year and that is enough for me. After I had DD my boss and another VP wanted me to apply for an international media relations job that would have me going to Korea, Singapore, Europe, and the Middle East. It was a dream job but I declined applying because I felt it would be too much time away and some of the countires were not safe and with kids I did not want to do that. Go with your gut, if you have the support system it can work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My job used to involve extensive travel.  I would be gone 2-4 days a week, 3 weeks a month.  I did this through my twenties, pre-kids and really liked it most of the time.  I would work really long days when I was travelling.  It eventually became too much and I got very tired of the constant travel.  It was hard on DH and sometimes it felt like we never have any time together. 

I stopped traveling before we have kids because I didn't want to be on the road like that with LOs. A lot of my male co-worker still travel extensively and love it, but most of their wives are SAHMs.

I think that if you love the job and can find a way to make it, I would go for it.  What would happen it you take it and hate the travel?  Could that be accomodated?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards