July 2013 Moms

DTAP

At my last dr. appointment my doctor advised me and my husband to get the DTAP vaccine. She also indicated that to the extent grandparents or others would be around baby early on that they should get the vaccine too.

I talked to my parents about this over the weekend and their comment was that I was being overly protective and that they are "up to date on their vaccines so they are fine."  A few questions for you ladies:

1. Have you received the same advice from your doctor or pediatrician?

2.  What position are you taking with family on this issue?

3.  Assuming you have a relationship that is difficult with your family as to I (I try not to rock the boat, but this is important) how would you handle their response?  Be satisfied, get more information, or ???

Thank you!!! 

Re: DTAP

• I would get more information about it first. I got it after I delivered my DD before we left the hospital, but they never told me to have my husband or any other family member get it.

Also alot of my friends have given birth in the past 3 years and they all got it but not their S/O or any other family members.

Make sure its really neccessary before creating an argument.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • aylacbwaylacbw
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

*it's actually tdap, fyi:)

My midwives advised that my husband should get the vaccination now, and that I should get it after I have the baby. She said anyone who will be around the baby a lot should get it. That being said, there are going to be people who come into contact with your baby that don't have the vaccine. I was never told to get one when my niece and nephew were born. I think it's more for people who will be around the baby on a consistent basis. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks! I guess I should start by actually spelling the name of the vaccine accurately!  ha  Thank you.

My mom is planning on staying with us right after delivery for about 2 weeks.  Not sure if that qualifies.  My husband's family that live locally and will be around more often are totally on board with this so I'm not worried about them.  Just my family.

Thanks for the insight so far.  Anyone else?  I suspect this also might be a geography thing - I'm on the east coast, but I know middle America this isn't quite as big of an issue (the outbreak of whooping cough is what has caused the CDC to make this recommendation).

• You need to get it during pregnancy, to pass the vaccination along to your babe. This applies even if you're up to date on your booster. Sucks because I just got a booster in September!

Your family, DH and grandparents etc, need to be up to date. They need to be vaccinated and that's all that really matters, they don't need a special update booster or anything. If your family says they're up to date on TDAP and they're sure of it and you believe them, then its fine. If you think they might be more lax with their vaccinations than they claim, ask them to call up their doc and check when their last TDAP booster was, as a personal favor to you.
  • I asked this last week. My husband and I had the shot last year, and I'll get a booster before the baby is here I think.

Anyone staying with us or holding the baby the first two months will have to have it. If a baby gets pertussis, they can go downhill very quickly and can die. We are standing our ground on this one.
    image image image image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  
  • I got it a few weeks ago.  So did my husband (when he told his doc I was pregnant his doc said he needed to get it and so should grandparents or anyone that's going to be around baby a lot).   My doc reiterated what my DH's doc said.  But if they are up to date on their vaccines that shouldn't be an issue.   For my DH he had no idea when the last time he got it was (probably not since he went to college over 10 years ago).

I live like 6 hours from my parents so I won't see them all the time, but my mom will hopefully stay for a week here and there so I do what her to get it (she has to check her records).   My  MIL also said she'd get the shot (she lives closer and will probably see baby a lot)

My parents would do anything I ask if I said the doctor said it's best for the baby. I don't know why people would question  what the doc said.     But maybe confirm with doc that if they are up to date if that's OK or what is technically up to date.  

From the CDC: 

Cocooning. ACIP recommends that adolescents and adults (e.g., parents, siblings, grandparents, child-care providers, and health-care personnel) who have or anticipate having close contact with an infant aged <12 months should receive a single dose of Tdap to protect against pertussis if they have not previously received Tdap. Ideally, these adolescents and adults should receive Tdap at least 2 weeks before beginning close contact with the infant.

DS born 7/25/13 - 9lbs 15oz and 20"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image ericarae78:
    .I talked to my parents about this over the weekend and their comment was that I was being overly protective and that they are "up to date on their vaccines so they are fine."

This vaccine only lasts five years I think, so maybe try pushing back a little. Unless they've been making a conscious effort to stay on top of their boosters, they are probably not up to date on whooping cough.
    image image image image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  
  • cjm724cjm724
    250 Answers 500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Love Its
    I asked my OBGYN at my appt today about that, and he said that I will get it before I leave the hospital after I deliver.  He said the data is inconclusive whether or not you will pass on your immunity to your baby, and it's better to wait until after you have delivered.  He said this was important in my case to wait until after I deliver especially because I am not fully vaccinated against pertussis to begin with because I had a reaction to the vaccine when I was little.  He does not want me to have a bad reaction while pregnant.  Also, he said DH will have to be current on his vaccination by the time baby arrives as well.
  • image ericarae78:

1. Have you received the same advice from your doctor or pediatrician? My OBGYN gave it to me at my last check up.

2.  What position are you taking with family on this issue? Since Pertussis is going around my state pretty bad...if you want to see or hold my baby, you will need to be updated. I am so not risking that.

3.  Assuming you have a relationship that is difficult with your family as to I (I try not to rock the boat, but this is important) how would you handle their response?  Be satisfied, get more information, or ??? They should be responsive to YOU, in my opinion. It's YOUR baby...and the safety of your baby comes first, regardless of how your family feels.

Pregnancy Ticker

• If you or I get whooping cough, it's likely not a big deal.   We'll have a bad cough, feel crappy for a bit, and get over it.   If your baby gets whooping cough, it can be severe.    Your baby would end up in the hospital, and it is life threatening.   This isn't a risk worth taking.   Nearly all our close family has gotten the vaccine.   i insisted DH get one before we started TTC.       It's silly to take a risk with your newborn's health.  
    imageimage
    September Siggy "Apples"
  • image ericarae78:

1. Have you received the same advice from your doctor or pediatrician?
    Yes. Get the TDAP ASAP. 

2.  What position are you taking with family on this issue?
    Get the shot or wait to see the kid. Sorry, hurt feelings are easier to deal with than a kid in the NICU or PICU with whooping cough. 

3.  Assuming you have a relationship that is difficult with your family as to I (I try not to rock the boat, but this is important) how would you handle their response?  Be satisfied, get more information, or ??? Its a yes or no question IMHO. Did you get the shot or not? If you haven't then will you? Yes or no. Unless they have some valid medical reason to not get the shot then if the answer is no then you tell it them straight. They will have to wait to see the kid. Its not about them. Its about you being an advocate for your baby. I don't give a shiit about rocking the boat. I'll rock the whole damn earth to advocate for my kids' health. Especially when they are too small and helpless to do themselves. You can call me whatever you want or flame me to high heaven. I DGAF. 

imageimage
    imageimage

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • image cjm724:
    I asked my OBGYN at my appt today about that, and he said that I will get it before I leave the hospital after I deliver.  

I would double check with your hospital about this FYI. It is not an automatic thing. Last time I assumed the same (that I would get it at some point during my hospital stay). The nurse and doctors told me I had to ask because not everyone vaccinates. So please check and don't assume its an automatic thing.  

imageimage
    imageimage

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • No flaming here, I appreciate the insight!!  The reaction I have received is "I am up to date with my shots" don't worry.  I feel like I need to dig deaper to understand what that really means....  Its so frustrating that "grandparents" that gave me such a hard time that I had not had kids yet get their first opportunity to do something for their first grandchild and they can't even just accept the directive and do it wihtout pushing back, being difficult, etc.  grrrr
  • I am very lucky. My dr told us the same thing about the dtap. My husband went right out and got it, and both of our parents are willing to get it.

I kind of felt that it was a little over protective, but it sure beats the hell of having your newborn in the nicu with breathing complications.
    Emily
  • I got my tdap a few weeks ago as advised by my OB, even though it had been less than 2 years since my last, in order to hopefully pass along some immunity to LO. My DH will get his in the next couple of weeks, and DS is current on all of his vaccines. For other fam it depends how often we see them how hard I'll be pushing it. We will likely be having a preemie which lends a little more weight to my request. I plan to send an email to the grandparents explaining pertussis, the recent stats on its rise, and that we greatly appreciate them considering updating their immunizations for our children and all of the other grandchildren's safety. I can't force anyone to get it, but I'm hopeful they'll consider it, and in truth should do so for their own health as well. While I've recently treated far too many kids for pertussis, I've also treated many adults. For those with diagnoses like asthma and immune compromising diseases, pertussis can be significant for them as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • casey78casey78
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 250 Answers 500 Love Its

OB recommended vaccinnating now or no later than when we left the hospital.  So, Dh and I updated our vaccinations at last OB appt. 

Grandparents live states away but will be coming to stay with us fairly frequently. They already have young grandchildren on both sides, so we are bringing it up casually in hopes that someone else already has.  If they haven't, we will request but not demand that they update before their visits.

photo IMG_1906_zpse63e33a1.jpg