Breastfeeding

Losing supply? Help!

I've been BFing for almost 8 months.  Early on I had some trouble with my supply, it would be low at times, but I was able to get it back up by eating better and drinking more water, along with some Mother's Milk tea (such a blessing).

Just recently I've noticed a drop in my supply, like major.  I tried to pump last night after DD hadn't nursed in 6 hours, and I got about 2/3 of an ounce, from both sides!  Normally I would've gotten at least 2 or 3 ounces.

When she's done nursing I can tell she's hungry and wants more.  Thankfully she is able to eat a lot of foods now, but I really didn't want to have to stop nursing this soon!  I was aiming for 1 year, and we'd go from there.

I've never been good about drinking water, but I really try.  If anything, I've been drinking more water and eating better lately.  I'm just so confused and don't know why this is happening.

I'm going to try drinking lots of the Mother's Milk tea and pray it helps again.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? TIA!! 

Married 11/19/11
Georgia Rose - born naturally at home on 9/16/12
Baby #2 on the way! - EDD 10/19/14
Parents to 4 fur babies (3 cats, 1 puppy)
Me (22) DH (21)

image image
O14 April siggy challenge, favorite flower: Dahlia, one of my many favorites

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Losing supply? Help!

• I'm going through the same thing.  My supply tanked after being sick for two weeks.  I've been trying everything!  Here's what I do: Mother's Milk Tea, Calcium/Mag/Zinc vitamins 3x a day, oatmeal, water, etc.  I started power pumping last week to see if that would help.

Keep drinking as much water as you can -- good luck!

Isla 2
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never heard of power pumping, I'll have to look into it.

Thanks!  That's something I just realized I forgot - I haven't been taking my vitamins!  Ugh!  I swear the pregnant brain lasts forever. 

Married 11/19/11
    Me (22) DH (21)

image image

• Jerry77Jerry77
    500 Comments First Anniversary
    Try the supplement Go-Lacta!! It's has been a life saver for me (I had tried Fenugreek with not so much of a result)! Typically I could only pump about 1 to  MAYBE 2 ounces total after my DD nursed (trying to build my supply for going back to work)....but I was able to pump 5 ounces total through the day yesterday! And that's huge increase for me! I have been taking 3 capsules 3 times a day...it took about 3 to 4 days for me to see a difference. I've heard great things about More Milk Plus as well (haven't tried it). As long as you're doing all the other things first like drinking enough, eating enough, getting enough rest...this supplement truly does work! Best of luck to you!
    BFP #1 on 4/15/12. Natural MC on 5/3/12 at 6w. BFP #2 on 7/8/12. EDD 3/13/13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Jerry77Jerry77
    500 Comments First Anniversary
    I forgot to add it's actually called Malunggay. I'm sure there are other brands out there. It's a bit pricey but so worth it! A bottle should last me about 2 weeks.
    BFP #1 on 4/15/12. Natural MC on 5/3/12 at 6w. BFP #2 on 7/8/12. EDD 3/13/13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hi,

I would just try to start pumping more often. Like don't go over 3 hours without pumping. Definitely use the herbs as well. If you don't see an increase within a week or so, try another product. I've heard that sometimes our bodies can get a tolerance to certain things if we use them for awhile, and then they don't work as well. Using a different formula would take care of that. 

I've tried the tea and capsules from http://www.breastfeedingherbs.com and both of them have increased my milk supply a lot. Between the herbs and increasing the number of pumpings or breastfeedings, I would imagine you'll start to see an increase within an few days. 

• Not to scare you but, is there any possibility that you're pregnant?  This is what happened to me. HUGE drop in supply for no reason whatsoever. Then I POAS and figured it out.  Lol
  • image Sarelnad:
    Not to scare you but, is there any possibility that you're pregnant?  This is what happened to me. HUGE drop in supply for no reason whatsoever. Then I POAS and figured it out.  Lol

Yipes. If Aunt Flo doesn't grace me with her presence in the next week, I'll take a test.  Thanks for the tip.

And thank you to everyone else for the tips and encouragement!!! 

Married 11/19/11
    Me (22) DH (21)

image image