Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

What is your 12 month old doing?

My LO seems to be behind and I'm starting to really worry.  He is almost walking but when it comes to other things he isn't learning.  No clapping, waving, pointing, real words, kisses or anything else really.  I try to teach but it doesn't seem like he is learning.  I'm scared to death and will talk to the pedi next week.   Just curious what others are doing and if I'm over reacting.  Thanks :)

Re: What is your 12 month old doing?

• My LO waves and when you say kiss he will tilt his head towards you.  He somewhat claps and is just starting to say words but if someone else was around him they probably wouldn't realize he is saying something, more just babble.  I would just ask the pedi but things can change in a day so in a couple weeks he could be doing all those things!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At 12 months my son could clap, but didn't really care to do it. Same with waving. He can do it, he just prefers not to. He's only recently really gotten into pointing. For words he's got mama and dada, and that's about it... some nonsense that he keeps repeating so to him it is words.

It sounds like your son is within the realm of normal. Certainly be open and honest with the pedi and they may have some recommendations for how to encourage stuff (are you reading to him every night?). Definitely good to keep an eye on, but I wouldn't be freaking out. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLuckyDad:
    At 12 months my son could clap, but didn't really care to do it. Same with waving. He can do it, he just prefers not to. He's only recently really gotten into pointing. For words he's got mama and dada, and that's about it... some nonsense that he keeps repeating so to him it is words.It sounds like your son is within the realm of normal. Certainly be open and honest with the pedi and they may have some recommendations for how to encourage stuff are you reading to him every night?. Definitely good to keep an eye on, but I wouldn't be freaking out.nbsp;

This. DS never really got into clapping and waving on command until closer to 15 months. And he still at 20 months doesn't care to do so if there is something more exciting going on...truck driving by, Velcro on his shoes that needs messing with, haha. And definitely less than 10 words at a year but his vocabulary exploded around 15 months and now he has at least 400 words mostly nouns and is starting to string together 2/3 word phrases. In other words, a few ninths make a huge difference. Keep reading and talking and it will come!!
  • When dd was a year she didn't wave or really use words at all. She didn't even walk until 15 months, because she's a taller baby so she has more mass to hold up. By 1617 months her vocabulary exploded, and now she's almost two it exploded even more. Babies learn things differently, like my dd has been verbal for a long time, but her physical development took a little longer.

She could count to ten by 13 months, but only recently learned to climb and really wave. I'm sure yours is fine, just maybe focused on other areas of development before others, if that makes sense.

ETA, dd JUST learned to give kisses too.
  • My LO just turned 13 months and does all of those things. He recently started pointing a few days ago. Do you have him around other kids often? When I started taking my LO to play dates often then he started imitating the older kids. GLGL
  • Every child develops at their own pace. I'd have a consult with your pediatrician like you said you were doing. Maybe they can suggest something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"