Multiples

For MoMs with one LO considerably smaller

Both of my guys have always had a decent size difference (since in utereo and on). My smaller guy has always just made it on the charts...last visit he was 2nd percentile for weight. Now that they are moving on to 10 months, it seems like the gap is getting wider. I just had both boys "standing" next to each other at their play table and baby a is almost a whole head taller than b. The pedi hasn't been concerned and I know that they are individuals and just have very different body types in general, but I'm curious to know if any other MoMs experienced this and if the dr ever recommended something to beef up the smaller one. I used to give rice cereal in bottles for reflux and extra calories as a bonus but I stopped since the reflux got better. He's an ok eater, but baby a definitely has a heartier appetite. I'm just curious if there's something I should/can do or if it just is what it is. TIA. 
Fraternal twin boys born at 33 weeks 4 days Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For MoMs with one LO considerably smaller

• I have b/g twins & they weighed in at 9mths 7lbs 9oz. apart. Yes, they are almost 8lbs apart & they are totally healthly & normal.(hs is ter eats more then him somedays even)  My youngest son's body type is totally different from his older brother 20mths older then him.

As long as the doc sees no issue I wouldnt worry about it & rejoice in their differences

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for sharing. Wow, almost an 8 pound difference is huge!!! I am def trying not to worry, and really am not too concerned as I know they do have very different builds, but I just didn't know if I was missing a way to supplement/increase calories for the little guy. He is a finicky eater and goes on great streaks and not so great streaks. We are in a not so great streak where I am lucky if he doesn't leave 3-4 oz in his bottle each feeding, so it of course had my concern peaked again. Thanks for the reassurance though. On a side note, interestingly enough, the little guy is hitting all his milestones first. He's got 2 teeth, brother has none. He's crawling, pulling up and trying to walk, brother Is just crawling. So I know he's healthy, he's just a peanut :)  
  • Loading the player...
  • Carter was in the 2nd percentile for weight at 9 months at 14 to 15 lbs well i started feeding them oatmeal regular not infant once a day and within a couple of weeks he weighed 17 lbs which made their pediatrician very happy! Zander has never had that problem he weighs 20 lbs ! If you are mobile they are 10 months old today!
  • My boys never had a huge size difference (they were about 1" and 2 lbs different at 9m but now at 4 they're only about 1/4" and 1 lb apart) but it definitely happens sometimes. Like in my own family, my older sister is a full 6" shorter than my younger sister as adults; they have completely different builds. (I'm in the middle, age-wise and height/build-wise.) I met twins at my MOTC who were 8 and one twin weighed literally almost twice as much as his brother; 90 lbs versus 45 lbs, and he was more than a head taller. In their case, the bigger twin was the size of an average 12 y/o and the smaller twin was more average for their age. Both were healthy though. Like pp's said, the important thing is that each baby is growing on their own curve and is healthy, not how they compare to each other (as hard as it can be to not compare!).
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • My girls are identical, and the smaller one was over a pound smaller at birth.  At this stage of the game, I worried more about the littler one following her own growth curve and making it own the charts.  To that end I fed calorie dense foods (sweet potatoes, avocado, full fat yogurt, chicken) to ensure she had what she needed to gain weight.  The pediatrician recommended that we keep her on formula until 15 months which was a great decision.  It gave her the extra nutrition for the right amount of time.

My girls have totally different body types, so I really can't compare their weights.  At age 5 they are about 4-5 lbs different.  But, they both have healthy body sizes, Caden is just petite.  I will say that my smaller one gradually caught up to her sister in height.  Where they once were 2 inches apart, now they are more in the 1/2" range. 

• jbl126jbl126 member
    My girls are almost 4 and it seems the older they get, the more of a difference there is.  They used to be 1lb and 1in different.  Now Lauryn has a good 3-4 in on her sister and definitely weighs more. We go for their checkup in two months and i am very curious to see the actual difference
  • imageerinruns:

My girls are identical, and the smaller one was over a pound smaller at birth.  At this stage of the game, I worried more about the littler one following her own growth curve and making it own the charts.  To that end I fed calorie dense foods (sweet potatoes, avocado, full fat yogurt, chicken) to ensure she had what she needed to gain weight.  The pediatrician recommended that we keep her on formula until 15 months which was a great decision.  It gave her the extra nutrition for the right amount of time.

My girls have totally different body types, so I really can't compare their weights.  At age 5 they are about 4-5 lbs different.  But, they both have healthy body sizes, Caden is just petite.  I will say that my smaller one gradually caught up to her sister in height.  Where they once were 2 inches apart, now they are more in the 1/2" range. 

perfect thanks. This is exactly what I was getting at. I was wondering if he might end up on formula longer. The foods you mentioned I'm feeding to both my guys now so will just keep it up and talk to the pedi at their yearly appt about the formula. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"