April 2013 Moms

Can't keep her awake to feed

The last day and a half, I've benn supplementing every other feed w/ 1 oz of formula. The pedi wanted to make sure weight didn't decrease. Well now, the last two feeds, I can't get her to stay awake long enough to even get a good latch.

I'm worried 1 that now she has nipple confusion due to the bottle and 2 she's not getting enough since I essentially can't fee her right now. Anyone else deal with this or something similar?? How did you handle it?
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can't keep her awake to feed

• imageNandaB:
    Sometimes you need to work a little to keep newborns awake. Try undressing her and talk to her, tickle her feet/neck...whatever you need to do to keep her awake. If she starts to doze off take her off your breast and keep her upright [sitting or on your shoulder] until she wakes up.

Yep all of this. When my guy is sleepy, he can be a real bugger to keep awake or to wake up from scratch. I do all of these things. Sometimes he won't latch once awake until a little after, like a few minutes, since he has the "just waking up" lack of interest in things, just like we can when we first open our eyes. Keep trying. Express a little milk onto the tip of your nipple when coaxing so baby gets reminded of the flavor.
    DD 4/3/04 & #2 EDD April 21, 2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am supplementing also but I always give boob first.. than give her a bottle till she stops eating. dhe eats about .51 oz of formula.. she still falls asleep on my boob I judst tickle her and she wakes up..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the same issue and tickling didn't work. You can try a cold washcloth on the back neck, or take off your breast and lay down flat next to you and don't touch for 30 seconds or so. Baby won't like it and wake up.

Good luck!
    Me: 35/Hubs: 35 - just moved to Minneapolis from Chicago. TTC for 18 months and expecting baby #1 April 18, 2012! Needed IVF after a few failed rounds of IUI and it worked!
  • Omg I was having this issue all day yesterday! I strip him down and if even that doesn't work, then I just take him off and try again later. It sucks.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • StarBeStarBe member
    if all else fails (stripping down, tickling, wet cloth, etc) I go for a diaper change... the cold wipe usually works like a charm but of course I'm lazy and try the other options first esp if I know shes dry and doesn't need to be changed.
    BabyFruit Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family image
  • imageStarBe:
    if all else fails stripping down, tickling, wet cloth, etc I go for a diaper change... the cold wipe usually works like a charm but of course I'm lazy and try the other options first esp if I know shes dry and doesn't need to be changed.

This pretty much. I always change her diaper and if its dry I still wipe her with a wipe. If she falls asleep on the boob I just sit her on my lap and burp her. Even if she doesn't burp she wakes right up. Sometimes it takes a little while but it works. Then I latch her on again. I use the orthodontic NUK nipples. You will notice it really looks like your nipple!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Ash*
  • Ohh, have you tried pumping and supplementing that 1oz30cc/ml with your breast milk instead?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Ash*
  • Undress her and nurse her in just her nappy. Caress her head when she stops sucking/swallowing to regain her attention. Compress your breast that she's nursing on to get a bit more flow going into her mouth and she will usually start sucking/swallowing again. If these don't work sit her up and burp her so she wakes a bit and then re-latch. 

Also out kellymom website - lots of awesome advice/tips, :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"