Stay at Home Moms

Poll: Your parents

How old were your parents when they got married? 

How old were they when you were born?

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool?

Were you wealthy/poor growing up?

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you?

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  

What did/do they do for a living? 

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11

Re: Poll: Your parents

• How old were your parents when they got married? my mom was 16, dad was 23

How old were they when you were born? My mom was 19 & dad was 26

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? My mom dropped out when she was 16 (pregnant with my sister) to get married and start working. She went back to get her GED after my sister was a toddler. My dad dropped out of school when he was in 8th grade, joined the army when he was 16

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? working poor, we made it but there wasn't extras. We did get to go on vacation each year, but by no means were we wealthy.

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? No, def not she was 19. Doesn't bother me in the least, I've heard people talk about it bothering them... I don't get it.

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  Still married... not sure how, haha... but they're more in love now than they've ever been.  Pretty darn cute together.

What did/do they do for a living? my dad worked in a sewing factor his whole life until starting to draw disability after having 2 quadruple bypass surgeries and some major problems with his knee. My mom worked in the same sewing factory until it closed, and worked her way up at the Community services board, and is not a director of a 12 bed group home, she loves it and is amazing at it.

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11
  • My parents were in their early twenties when they got married

They were in their mid twenties when I was born.. mom was 25, dad 27.

Neither went to college, but both graduated high school.

I was middle class growing up.  Neither wealthy or poor.

I was not planned. It doesn't bother me.  Babies happen.

They divorced when I was 2, it is weird to think they were ever married to eachother. Both are remarried.

Mom is retired, but worked in the insurance business for most of her life, Dad owns a construction company.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • How old were your parents when they got married? Right out of high school so around 18.  I don't know for sure.

How old were they when you were born? 24 and 26 I think

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool?No, yes they finished high school

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? We were one of the wealthier families in our area growing up.

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Yes

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  Yes

What did/do they do for a living? Farm and own a few other businesses
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Hav=Fath:

How old were your parents when they got married? My mom was 22 and my dad was 27

How old were they when you were born? my mom was 27 and my dad was 32

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? My mom has some college credits my dad got his GED

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? lower middle class

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Yes, my mom likes to talk about how she stood on her head after sex to get me. I don't enjoy hearing the story

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  They were in the process of divorce when my dad died. My mom has not remarried.

What did/do they do for a living? My mom worked in the school district office and my dad was a letter carrier for the USPS

Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • How old were your parents when they got married? mom:19 dad:22

How old were they when you were born? 32 and 35

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? They both graduated from college

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? in the middle. They both worked really hard but we were well off in my opinion

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? yes. they tried a long time for me actually, my brother wan't though

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  Still married!

What did/do they do for a living? my dad worked in a prison as a guard and then supervisor and my mom was a paralegal

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How old were your parents when they got married?

My mom was 20 and dad was 21

Neither went to college.  My dad joined the Navy right out of high school then went to night school.  Mom finished highschool

middle class. 

I am 10 years younger then my older sister and 8 years younger then my other sister.  I always say that I was the miracle not the mistake. Big Smile

Still married 

My mom stayed at home.  My dad worked for the airlines.

• How old were your parents when they got married?  20/21

How old were they when you were born? Same age.  I came before they were married.  They got married when I was 5mo.

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool?  My mom went to cosmetology school.  My dad did some community college when my sister and I were really young.

Were you wealthy/poor growing up?  Lower middle class.  Fairly certain we were reasonably comfortable, but didn't have a lot of money to throw around.

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you?  No, I was a surprise.  It doesn't bother me.

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  Yes, but unhappily.

What did/do they do for a living?  My mom is a SAHM (I have a school-age sib).  My dad is in the mortgage business..  He owned his own company for quite a while, but, well we all know what happened with that industry.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • How old were your parents when they got married? 20 and 21

How old were they when you were born? 40 and 41

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? My dad went to college, mom just high school

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? I felt like we were just average, but looking back with six siblings and all the things we got to do (vacations every year, college and catholic school tuition paid for in full, weddings paid for, nice house etc) we were probably upper middle class.  We had everything we needed and some of what we wanted - which is how we try to balance it with our kids

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Not really, but my parents are devout Catholics and I am sure never used birth control.  They have said that my sister (#6) was a real surprise and then when I came along it was like "meh, what's one more?"

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  Still married - this month is their 60th wedding anniversary 

What did/do they do for a living? My dad worked in sales for a large textile company.  He was extremely smart with their money, retired early with a great package and invested well, so they enjoy life to the fullest.  My mom always SAH

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13

• How old were your parents when they got married? This is presumptuous. They were married though, at 27 and 29

How old were they when you were born? 28 and 30

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? Yes. They both went to college. My mother to Law School after. 

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? firmly middle class.

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? No. I was a surprise during engagement. Mom was 5 months pregnant at the courthouse.  It has never bothered me a bit. I was and am very loved and wanted. 

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  No. They divorced when I was 3 and my sister was an infant. 

What did/do they do for a living? For the majority of their careers, my Mom was in state government running various agencies and my Dad was in construction. 

imageimageimage

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • How old were your parents when they got married? 24ish I think

How old were they when you were born? 36 and 37 when I was adopted

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? They both have Bachelor's degrees

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? Fairly wealthy 

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? They adopted me so they planned for me but my biological parents did not.

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?   Still married

What did/do they do for a living? My  dad did business development in the rubber and plastic part of the auto industry.  My mom taught middle school math until my older brother was adopted, then she was a SAHM until I was 6.  From when I was 6-18 she taught pre school. Now they are the busiest retired people I know.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

11/2010- Diagnosed with PCOS
    BFP #1 10/10/2011 EDD 6/19/2012;Natural M/C 10/31/2011 @ 8wks
    BFP #2 5/10/2012 EDD 1/14/2013: Baby Girl born 1/12/2013
  • image Hav=Fath:

How old were your parents when they got married? mom 19, dad 22

How old were they when you were born? Mom 22, dad 25

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? Mom-Associates degree, Dad-Masters degree

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? Mom-lower middle, Dad-higher middle

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? I was planned

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried? Divorced when I was 5, mom remarried 3 weeks later, dad remarried 10 years ago  

What did/do they do for a living? Mom was a buyer for a defense company, now she's a CNA. Dad has always been an EE for defense company. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• How old were your parents when they got married? 23

How old were they when you were born? 27

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool?  Yes, both studied Chemical Engineering at the U of Alabama.  They met and married right out of college.

Were you wealthy/poor growing up?  Upper middle class

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you?  Yes

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  Yes

What did/do they do for a living? Dad works as an electrical engineer at NASA. Mom was an engineer, but became a SAHM when I was born.  She went back to work when my youngest sister started school... never returned to her field though. Computers and consequently engineering changed a lot after she left the workforce! Right now she works in a law office.

• image Hav=Fath:

How old were your parents when they got married? Mom - 22, Dad - 25

How old were they when you were born? Mom was 31

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? Both graduated college; Dad later got an MBA, Mom has some grad school work

Were you wealthy/poor growing up?  I guess upper middle class

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Not planned and initially not wanted, doesn't bother me at all. 

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  Still married

What did/do they do for a living? Retired now, but mom was a nurse and worked mostly in management; Dad - fighter pilot and later business stuff for a govt agency.

• How old were your parents when they got married?  My parents were 19 and 21 when they got married.

How old were they when you were born? My mom was 21 when she had my brother and 23 when she had me.

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? No.  My dad didn't finish hs because he had to take over the family business when his dad got sick, later got his GED.  My mom now has her associates degree.

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? We were poor for our area, but that's not saying much.  My parents worked really hard to move us to a really upper class area, so by poor I mean that my brother and I had to work to buy our own used cars when we were 16 as opposed to my classmates, many of who were given brand new cars on their birthdays.  I do remember not being able to do a few things I wanted to (cheerleading camp, school trips) because they were too expensive, but our needs were most def. always taken care of easily.

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Yes, n/a

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  No, they got divorced when I graduated hs.  No, neither.

What did/do they do for a living?  My dad's family owned the garbage company when I was growing up, but he always worked as a mechanic for them.  He now works as a mechanic for a fleet management co.  My mom did MANY odd jobs growing up...reupholstering furniture, florist, several secretary positions, and one really bad patch where she worked at McDonalds.  She now works for the govt. at the CDC.  She just started a new position doing statistics.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How old were your parents when they got married? My mom was 19 and my dad was 21. They were set up on a blind date during my dad's 2 week R&R from the Army. Went on a few dates and then dad went back overseas. They did the letters and phone calls thing, and when dad came back for another R&R (or it might have been between deployments, I forget) they went on a few more dates. When mom realized that dad knew how to cook and was very good at it she said "You can cook, I guess I can marry you" and they were married a week later. They spent a total of 19 days together in person before they were married.

How old were they when you were born? I was born 3ish years after they were married, so 22 & 24.

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? Neither of my parents attended college, but both finished High School.

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? I wouldn't say that we were either wealthy or poor. We had an average family income. We never went without the necessities, but we didn't always get the luxuries we wanted either.

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you?  I was definitely NOT planned, and I'm OK with that. I'd be even more OK with it if my mother had never told me how I was conceived. LOL

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  My parents were married for 15 years and divorced when I was in the 7th grade. Both are remarried now and MUCH happier with my step parents. They are the happiest they've ever been that I can remember.

What did/do they do for a living? Dad used to work for an office supply company and when it went out of business he started up his own logging company which he still does to this day. Mom held a variety of jobs with the longest being driving my school bus. She now lives in Scotland, UK and works at a general store.

Thrilled on becoming a First Time Mom!
    BFP 7/18/2012 ~ EDD 3/28/2013
    10/11/2012 - 16w - It's a boy!

• They were married when my mom was 20, dad was 23.

My mom was 30 when I was born. It was a big deal at the time. The neighborhood considered her "older". I was the 4th.

THey met in college. My dad finished, and got a masters. My mom dropped out at 20 to marry my dad. Truly went from her parent's house, to the sorority house...to his house.

I guess semi wealthy...upper middle.

I was a big ol' surprise!!!!!! Broken condom baby.

They are still married. Just celebrated 50 years a few years ago. They are precious.

My mom stayed at home. My dad was VP for a company. 

Mom to Big Sister (2008) , and boy/girl twins (2010) Life is busy!
  • How old were your parents when they got married? 

Dad was 35, Mom was 29 

Dad was 39, Mom was 33 when we were adopted 

Yes, they both hold Masters degrees 

Poor in my early childhood, Middle class after adoption 

Yes, they pursued the adoption route and wanted us 

Yes, though they just recently reconciled after a 6 month separation  

My mother is a corporate contract negotiator and my father is an electrical engineer. They both work on government projects.  

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • image Hav=Fath:

How old were your parents when they got married? My mom was 26 and dad was 33

How old were they when you were born? 33 and 40 

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? Yes, both of them

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? Upper middle class

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Yes

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  Yes (though this is my dads second marriage)

What did/do they do for a living? Dad was in finance for an oil company. Mom was a SAHM and then went back to school to get her teaching credential when I was in jr high and taught K for 15 years

• How old were your parents when they got married?  Mom 23 & Dad 24

How old were they when you were born? 29 & 30

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool?  Mom has a Master's in Education.  Dad has a BS in Accounting. 

Were you wealthy/poor growing up?  Middle class early, then moved up to the upper-middle class level. 

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Yes, both my bro and I were planned. 

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  Still married 43 years later, and madly in love.  :-)

What did/do they do for a living?  Mom is a retired public school teacher.  Dad owns his own Accounting firm, but is semi-retired now.  Only works maybe 5 months per year. 

• How old were your parents when they got married? 27 and 28

How old were they when you were born?  27 and 28 LOL

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? Mom has a Masters and Dad is a doctor 

Were you wealthy/poor growing up?  For our area/school district, we were wealthy.  It is all relative though.  

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you?  Heck no.  And Heck no.

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?   Still married...almost 33 years

What did/do they do for a living?  My mom was a career consultant and then a director of a program in the same type of work.  My dad is a family practice doc and has a couple more years before retirement.

O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • How old were your parents when they got married? 28 & 29

How old were they when you were born? 29 & 30

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? Both finished some college. 

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? I would say lower middle class. Had everything we needed, some of what we wanted. 

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Yes. 

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  Yes. 

What did/do they do for a living? Mom was a paralegal, she still does a little work here and there. Dad just retired from the postal service a few months ago. His last position was overseeing the building upkeep of a specific region's local POs. 

E 9.08, V 8.11, #3 coming April 2014
  • KateMWKateMW
    25000 Comments 250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its
    image Hav=Fath:

How old were your parents when they got married? My mom was 26 I think. Have no clue how old my dad was.

How old were they when you were born? My mom was 28, no clue about my dad.

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? My mom did, not my father. I think he finished high school.

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? My mom was a single mother until I was 8. After she married my step dad, we were upper middle class.

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? I would assume not, but it wouldn't bother me either way.

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  They were divorced when I was 2 months old. My mom and step dad have been married for 26 years.

What did/do they do for a living? My birth father was a loser, my mom is an engineer and my step dad was a labor relations/HR specialist, then he went to work for a paper company and ran two mills. He has a engineering degree from the Navel Academy and a Masters in HR.

So I feel the need to fill in the background...my mom ran off to NY while in college and met my piece of crap birth father. They were married for a couple of years, had me and he was such a craptastic person, my mom left when I was 2 months old and moved back to AL. After that, we lived with my grandparents, she went back to school and got an engineering degree and we lived happily every after. I've never met my birth father and any time you see me to refer to my dad or father, I mean my step-father who she married when I was almost 9.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image eaglesfan700:
    How old were your parents when they got married? 20 and 21

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Not really, but my parents are devout Catholics and I am sure never used birth control.  They have said that my sister (#6) was a real surprise and then when I came along it was like "meh, what's one more?"

This reminds me of my Dad - youngest of 7, Irish catholic from West Philly. I'm pretty sure my grandparents were about 40 when he was born - the next sister is 6 years older, so I am sure he was a surprise.  

E 9.08, V 8.11, #3 coming April 2014
  • KateMWKateMW
    25000 Comments 250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its
    image KathrynG89:

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool?  Yes, both studied Chemical Engineering at the U of Alabama.  They met and married right out of college.

My mom got her engineering degree at Alabama! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image LalaMama81:
    image eaglesfan700:
    How old were your parents when they got married? 20 and 21

This reminds me of my Dad - youngest of 7, Irish catholic from West Philly. I'm pretty sure my grandparents were about 40 when he was born - the next sister is 6 years older, so I am sure he was a surprise.  

Ha, my dad is Irish Catholic but from Frankford, he is a North Catholic grad.  We were all pretty spaced out, but there is 4 years between #5 and #6 so they thought they were done 

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • MrsMuqMrsMuq
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    How old were your parents when they got married? My parents were 21

How old were they when you were born? 25

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? They did not attend college, but both finished high school.

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? Blue collar

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Yes, but my sisters were not

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried? Yes - 34 years

What did/do they do for a living? My dad writes for a recreational magazine/does construction/is a deliveryman and my mom is an ABA teaching assistant

"The strong look for more strength; the weak look for excuses."

Married July 2009, Furbaby adopted Sept. 2010, DS born June 2012

• How old were your parents when they got married?  My dad was 30 and my mom was 24, maybe?

How old were they when you were born? Mom was 40, dad was 46 i think (i am not good with ages)

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? They finished high school, did not go to college

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? upper middle class

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you?  i think i was planned, but i really don't know

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  They are still married but i would not say it is a happy marriage.  It was not a happy marriage when i lived there, that's for sure.

What did/do they do for a living?  My dad was very poor growing up, worked in a factory when he and my mom married, and then ended up opening some businesses in the 80's.  They also have some rental properties.  My mom does some paperwork for one of the businesses, but was mainly a stay at home mom/wife.

• How old were your parents when they got married? They were both 27

How old were they when you were born? 39

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? They both graduated from college.

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? We were comfortable but not wealthy.

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? Very much so.

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried? My father passed away in 2006 and my mother has not and will not remarry. 

What did/do they do for a living? My mother was a SAHM while we were young and a choir director/music teacher before and after kids. My dad was a mechanical engineer.

Me: 37--Thyroid Cancer survivor. H:38. DS born 6/22/2011; BFP#2--11/5/12--Missed miscarriage discovered 12/21/2012
  • id012id012
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary
    How old were your parents when they got married?
    Mom was like 27 dad was 34
    31 and 38
    Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? My mom didnt.. she was pretty poor and my nana had a brain tumor when she was graduating. Then my uncle died. She had to work. My dad went on a full ride for football. Then he went and traveled all around america for a few years.

Midde class. We had everything we ever wanted
    Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? I think i was. I never asked, i wouldnt care if i wasnt tho. It doesnt matter to me how i got here!

Yes
    What did/do they do for a living. Mom stayed home until i was in 1st grade. Then she worked at my school and still does. Dads a fireman
  • image Hav=Fath:

How old were your parents when they got married? They got married the day after they graduated college, so 22 I believe 

How old were they when you were born? 30. 27 for my older sister. 

Did they go to college? If not, finish highschool? Yes, they both went to UCLA, and my dad went to UCLA law school

Were you wealthy/poor growing up? We were decently well off but lived in an EXTREMELY wealthy community (my friends had armed guards at the gate house of their house, for example), so by the standards of my peers we were wrong side of the tracks, lol. 

Were you planned? If not, does that bother you? I think so? If I wasn't it wouldn't bother me.

Are they still married? If not, have they remarried?  nope. My dad has been remarried for 20 years. My mom is not remarried.

What did/do they do for a living? my dad was a corporate attorney (he is retired), my mom was a SAHM then worked in fundraising. 

Henry 4.23.2007 Elliot 3.30.2012

img width="300" src=""

Lilypie First Birthday tickers