Stay at Home Moms

Homeschooling Moms

I am wondering what curriculum you are using, I am looking into homeschooling my 3 year old while I am home or until maybe 2nd grade, then she would be going to private school.

Re: Homeschooling Moms

• imageHav=Fath:
    I'm not sure how much info you'll get on this board but they recently added a homeschooling board, you might get more traffic there. 
    yes try the homeschool board this board is pretty anti homeschooling in general.
  • I wouldn't say this board is necessarily anti-homeschooling, but there are many who feel it wouldn't be the right decision for their family. That being said, we plan to HS.

J. will be 3 in Aug. I have no plans to start a formal curriculum with him until he is at least 5. We might even hold off until 6. Until then, we just build learning into our day. Discussing numbers, colors, shapes, etc...as they come up, for example. 

Are you looking for something for her now, or in a couple years?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHav=Fath:

imageAndrewsgal:
    imageHav=Fath:
    I'm not sure how much info you'll get on this board but they recently added a homeschooling board, you might get more traffic there. 
    yes try the homeschool board this board is pretty anti homeschooling in general.

I didn't realize we were mostly anti-homeschooling? Aren't there are a few moms here who plan to do so?  

We are going to homeschool as well- but I do think in general, homeschooling topics on this board spiral downward very quickly. :)

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • imageHav=Fath:

I had no idea thanks, I really don't get outside the breast feeding board lately. I was wondering when they would start one.

• imagebarnwife:
    I wouldn't say this board is necessarily anti-homeschooling, but there are many who feel it wouldn't be the right decision for their family. That being said, we plan to HS.

J. will be 3 in Aug. I have no plans to start a formal curriculum with him until he is at least 5. We might even hold off until 6. Until then, we just build learning into our day. Discussing numbers, colors, shapes, etc...as they come up, for example. 

Are you looking for something for her now, or in a couple years?

I recently started working with her when she started showing more interest between switch from PBS Spouts to Nick JR and her leap frog leap pad. She caught me off guard when she started counting to 20. I feel bad that I haven't been spending as much time as I need to since the new LO arrived. Now that I have her in a routine, I have began working with her. I've seen curriculums for pre schoolers, but I have been avoiding it in a way just teaching in my own way. with in a week she is writing her letters really great. I just need structure for myself, I feel like I have no idea where to start.    

• Check out the 1+1+1=1 blog. There are free printables, and the blog owner is a former teacher (turned homeschooler). Great stuff for that age!

February 2011- M/C
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • imagebridein08:
    imageHav=Fath:

imageAndrewsgal:
    imageHav=Fath:

I didn't realize we were mostly anti-homeschooling? Aren't there are a few moms here who plan to do so?  

We are going to homeschool as well- but I do think in general, homeschooling topics on this board spiral downward very quickly. :)

Now I'm intrigued (I must have missed those discussions).  

OP Right now I'm leaning towards Oak Meadow, it's a very gentle/ slow approach. 

There is so much curriculum out there, it can be really overwhelming. A good place to start is to identify what teaching/ learning styles you like the best.  The Charter school I'll be homeschool through has a really helpful breakdown and suggestions for curriculum.

(sorry no clicky on mac) https://www.ogcs.org/curriculum.html

scroll down to "EDUCATIONAL APPROACHES"

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • We also plan to homeschool!
    SAHM to Eli, born 11.26.11
  • imagehayleydeee:
    imagebridein08:
    imageHav=Fath:

imageAndrewsgal:
    imageHav=Fath:

There is so much curriculum out there, it can be really overwhelming. A good place to start is to identify what teaching/ learning styles you like the best.  The Charter school I'll be homeschool through has a really helpful breakdown and suggestions for curriculum.

I have a friend who just finished Oak Meadow preschool with her LO and loved it. She is starting the Kindergarten curriculum in the fall. They also have their annual "May sale" going on right now- 20% off!

February 2011- M/C
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • imagebridein08:
    imagehayleydeee:
    imagebridein08:
    imageHav=Fath:

imageAndrewsgal:
    imageHav=Fath:

I have a friend who just finished Oak Meadow preschool with her LO and loved it. She is starting the Kindergarten curriculum in the fall. They also have their annual "May sale" going on right now- 20% off!

That's great to hear.  Thanks for the tip about the sale too!

• RaeilyRaeily member
    I didn't realize this board leaned towards anti-homeschooling. lol I know certain people don't like it, and that's fine. We plan to at least do home schooling in the beginning. DH is a fan of private schooling. 
    Anniversary

• imageHav=Fath:

imageAndrewsgal:
    imageHav=Fath:

Were you totally MIA for all the HSing discussions on this board? Maybe anti was too strong a word, but most HS discussions on this board are not positive.
  • I just checked out the Oak Meadow curriculum and his is what bothers me about Homes schooling. Their first grade sample lessons are easily beginning kinder lessons in public school. Sigh. I just need to stay out of these,
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    I just checked out the Oak Meadow curriculum and his is what bothers me about Homes schooling. Their first grade sample lessons are easily beginning kinder lessons in public school. Sigh. I just need to stay out of these,

True. They are super easy. If I end up using it for T-K it'll be the 1st grade level.   (T-K is "transitional kindergarden"... it might only be a California thing) 

• I am not homeschooling - I really thought about it, but it wasn't going to work for our family.  I did find that the book The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise was a great resource, and I am using it to develop a summer curriculum and other learning outside the classroom.  It is geared towards 1st-12th grade, though, so it might not be what you are looking for (DD is almost done with kindergarten, so we are going to be working at the 1st grade level).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RaeilyRaeily member

imageAndrewsgal:
    I just checked out the Oak Meadow curriculum and his is what bothers me about Homes schooling. Their first grade sample lessons are easily beginning kinder lessons in public school. Sigh. I just need to stay out of these,

See, that's what I loved about being home-schooled! When something was too easy for me it wasn't a big deal to move me up to something harder. We didn't have to work through any bureaucratic bull crap to get me moved up a grade or into a harder class and I didn't have to be held back by classmates who weren't getting it.

Anniversary

• imageRaeily:

imageAndrewsgal:

See, that's what I loved about being home-schooled! When something was too easy for me it wasn't a big deal to move me up to something harder. We didn't have to work through any bureaucratic bull crap to get me moved up a grade or into a harder class and I didn't have to be held back by classmates who weren't getting it.

You are missing the point. Kids that are homeschooled should be educated at or above their grade level in case they have to go back into the evil public school system one day. People who don't know what is expected and are following the Oak Meadow crap have their 7 year olds doing stuff public school five year olds are.

Oh and your whole bureaucratic BS made me laugh. My Dd is extremely bright and ahead and we have had zero issue with the school working with her on her level. Because of all that pesky BS my kids will have the opportunity to go to a robotics/engineering  high school, or many other amazing choices that could never be replicated in a HS environment.

• Weeee! Homeschooling! Lol
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    As a future homeschooling mom, I completely agree. I think it is more appropriate for a preschool level of work, and would encourage someone to use it for that, if anything. 

It will be our goal to be on grade level, or preferably academically accelerated for each grade DS is in as we homeschool. It is my goal to constantly challenge my child intellectually, and we won't be doing a "feel good" curriculum.

Don't get the wrong idea about Oak Meadow- most people (that I know) are not doing curriculums like those. There are certainly homeschoolers out there that slack off (my in-laws are a perfect example- somehow my husband got through their slack-@ss homeschool "curriculum" and graduated summa *** laude a couple years early from his University and is currently working his way through a masters program.), but I wouldn't say the majority do. 

AG, I totally respect your opinion as we all come from different backgrounds that color the way we think. What you have seen has formed your opinions, and what I have experienced  and seen being homeschooled form mine. 

BUT, on this topic (below grade level curriculums), I certainly agree!  

February 2011- M/C
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Another side-note about the Oak Meadow curriculum that I forgot when I was responding. It is a Waldorf based curriculum, the basis of which is a "gentle" approach. While I wouldn't do it myself, there are people who pay thousands for this Waldorf method in private school, and it is basically identical (not really on grade-level when compared to traditional schools) in form. 

February 2011- M/C
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"