Breastfeeding

To wean off work pumping....

How did you successfully do it? 

I have been able to drop to one pump a day but I don't know how to get rid of that one. By 1 or 2pm my boobs feel heavy and like I 'need' to pump.  I'm not really getting less milk as the week goes on with the single pump session, either.  I'd like to be done... (She's got frozen milk to last til 1 and beyond). 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
 • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

Re: To wean off work pumping....

• I just lived with BIG hard boobs for the first week. I think I wore nursing pads, just in case, even though I haven't needed them in many months.
  • How long do you pump? You can try doing it for 5 min to take the edge off, but since you not "using" all the milk your body may tell itself to slow down.
  • I like how I just refered to pumping as taking the edge off like I was refering to drinking. LOL
  • image blansaw:
    How long do you pump? You can try doing it for 5 min to take the edge off, but since you not "using" all the milk your body may tell itself to slow down.

I thought of that. I will try that next time (or living with the hard boobs).... after producing as much as possible for so long, it's so hard to stop pumping when milk is still flowing! lol I'll have to get over that :-) 

(we're going on vacation next week so next time is a week from Monday.  I guess it all depends on LO's BF behavior on the trip, but she has dropped from 15oz to 10 oz at daycare this past week). 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• wedseptwedsept
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments
    My boobs were hard for a few days (I just dropped my last pumping on Monday), but by today, I am ok.
  • I'm trying to remember - it was either one of two -

1) I dropped my afternoon pump session last, so the lunch time one went first.  This way it was less time before I could pick him up from daycare.

2) I did what you did and just was a little full for a couple of days - wore breastpads again to catch leaks, and nursed as soon as I could pick him up for daycare.

Either way, the key was nursing as soon as I could once I picked him up to relive some of the fullness.

• Push it back a bit every day. If you need to pump at 1:00, go. Next day do it at 1:15, third day 1:30, etc.  Eventually you will get to the point that it's ridiculous to pump since you'll be picking LO up in an hour or so.

As of 12:00 CST on 10/20/14, I have currently fulfilled my 3 hours of mod duty for the week. See you next week!
  • image Crash Into Me:
    Push it back a bit every day. If you need to pump at 1:00, go. Next day do it at 1:15, third day 1:30, etc.  Eventually you will get to the point that it's ridiculous to pump since you'll be picking LO up in an hour or so.

this is where I'm at now. I've managed to go as late as 4:15 just by pushing it back 15 mins each day. That being said, I do a full pumping session and get about 6 ounces as I still want to produce some milk for him. I'm hoping within 2 weeks I'm done with the pump. Good luck! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker