Cloth Diapering

FTM from Oct 13 - Need advice!

Mobile users: FTM from Oct 13 - Need advice!

Hello, CD ladies! FTM from Oct 13. I thought I would pop over to this board because you guys are the pros. I've been reading through the posts and I'm just so overwhelmed with all this information and need some advice/help. I've really looked into CD'ing, but I'm just not confident in my choice yet and I want to be excited about it.

1) Where did you begin your research? Do you have any good links or resources that you could send my way?

2) What brands do you really like? (We have a Target and BRU in our area) 

3) If you want to, could you give me a quick rundown of how the process works? When do you use liners, when don't you? How do you clean them?

Sorry if these are too many questions.. I am just trying to sell myself completely on the idea and I really want to commit to it, but I'm just getting very overwhelmed and not understanding what all goes into it. I want to be completely prepared when trying to sell this idea to my DH. Thanks in advance!

Re: FTM from Oct 13 - Need advice!

• Cloth diaper 101 on youtube was a good starting point for me
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • gifwizgifwiz
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary

image mngildersleeve:
    Cloth diaper 101 on youtube was a good starting point for me

Thank you! I haven't seen that yet, so I'll have to go check it out. 

• CLLDLLCLLDLL
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary

1.) I started my research at www.greenmountaindiapers.com  which I just sort of stumbled on.  They have great descriptions of the different types of diapers and even some adorable pics of babies wearing them!  I also liked the CD channel on YouTube, the FAQ at the top of this board, and the "new to cloth" link on www.kellyscloset.com  Don't feel bad about being overwhelmed.  We all were at first.  I think it takes a good 2-4 weeks of researching before you really feel like you know what it's all about!!  And if you have specific questions, definitely post on here.  Everyone is very helpful!

2.) This is going to vary greatly based on your baby's size, shape, and age.  My favorites during the NB stage was actually prefolds with covers.  They keep the runny NB poo in really well. (I hear a lot of people like Kawaii Pure & Naturals or green mountain diapers (GMD) workhorse fitteds with covers too.)  Now that we're rolling/army crawling I like my AppleCheeks pockets, BumGenius 4.0 pockets, and just about any fitted I've tried. 

3.) You'll learn most of this from the FAQ at the top of this board, but I'll give you my routine.  NB stage - put diaper on baby, baby poos 10 minutes later, take diaper off, put it all into a wetbag, repeat 12-15 times a day, once wetbag is full (around every 30-48 hours, but no longer than 72 hours) dump diapers & wetbag in washer, run a cold pre-rinse, add 1-2 TBSP of a cloth diaper safe detergent, run a hot wash with a cold rinse followed by an additional cold rinse.  Hang dry covers that have PUL in them, throw everything else in the dryer on med. for 45 minutes, stuff any pocket dipers. Once every few weeks, set any stained diapers in the sun while still wet and watch stains magically disapear.  Once every 3 months, soak diapers in hot water & washing soda to remove any build up from hard-water.  (You only have to do this if your diapers are getting build up.  Most people's won't.)

Then only thing I do differently now that LO is eating solids is that I spray the poop into the toilet with a diaper sprayer before throwing into the wash.  I only use a liner (fleece) when LO is on anti-biotics or needs to use a non-CD safe diaper rash cream.  Some people do use the bio-degradable liners to catch poo, but the are really only effective once baby starts eating solids.  At that point you can usually just plop or spray into the toilet, making a liner not that important IMO.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• gifwizgifwiz
    image CLLDLL:

1.) I started my research at www.greenmountaindiapers.com  which I just sort of stumbled on.  They have great descriptions of the different types of diapers and even some adorable pics of babies wearing them!  I also liked the CD channel on YouTube, the FAQ at the top of this board, and the "new to cloth" link on www.kellyscloset.com  Don't feel bad about being overwhelmed.  We all were at first.  I think it takes a good 2-4 weeks of researching before you really feel like you know what it's all about!!  And if you have specific questions, definitely post on here.  Everyone is very helpful!

2.) This is going to vary greatly based on your baby's size, shape, and age.  My favorites during the NB stage was actually prefolds with covers.  They keep the runny NB poo in really well. (I hear a lot of people like Kawaii Pure & Naturals or green mountain diapers (GMD) workhorse fitteds with covers too.)  Now that we're rolling/army crawling I like my AppleCheeks pockets, BumGenius 4.0 pockets, and just about any fitted I've tried. 

3.) You'll learn most of this from the FAQ at the top of this board, but I'll give you my routine.  NB stage - put diaper on baby, baby poos 10 minutes later, take diaper off, put it all into a wetbag, repeat 12-15 times a day, once wetbag is full (around every 30-48 hours, but no longer than 72 hours) dump diapers & wetbag in washer, run a cold pre-rinse, add 1-2 TBSP of a cloth diaper safe detergent, run a hot wash with a cold rinse followed by an additional cold rinse.  Hang dry covers that have PUL in them, throw everything else in the dryer on med. for 45 minutes, stuff any pocket dipers. Once every few weeks, set any stained diapers in the sun while still wet and watch stains magically disapear.  Once every 3 months, soak diapers in hot water & washing soda to remove any build up from hard-water.  (You only have to do this if your diapers are getting build up.  Most people's won't.)

Then only thing I do differently now that LO is eating solids is that I spray the poop into the toilet with a diaper sprayer before throwing into the wash.  I only use a liner (fleece) when LO is on anti-biotics or needs to use a non-CD safe diaper rash cream.  Some people do use the bio-degradable liners to catch poo, but the are really only effective once baby starts eating solids.  At that point you can usually just plop or spray into the toilet, making a liner not that important IMO.  

Wow, thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it! I will look into those websites as well! 

• 1) Watching the 7 part Cloth DIapering 101 series on YouTube, the FAQ at the top of the board, and this board have all been great resources

2) I don't have any CDing stores where I live so I buy everything online.  So far my stash is prefolds/flats and covers and one size pockets.  I got my prefolds and flats from Green Mountain Diapers.  Covers came from GMD (Thirsties XS and Bummis Super Brite) and Blueberry Diapers (Mini-coveralls).  Pockets are Bumgenius 4.0 that I got from Kelly's Closet.  

3) Liners won't really work for poop until you start solids.  BF/FF poop is runny and the liner won't do much of anything. Liners are also used to protect the diaper from non-CD friendly creams or as a stay dry layer (using fleece on top of cotton). 

Wash: BF/FF poop is water soluble and can be thrown straight into the washer.  Prewash or an initial rinse on cold (some do warm) no detergent then a hot wash with detergent and an extra rinse.  I tumble dry my prefolds, flats, and inserts on low and hang shells and covers.  I've only prepped and it was cold out but I will be hanging everything when it's warm out so the sun can get rid of stains. 

One size diapers won't fit a newborn so many have a NB stash to use for the first few weeks until the OS fit.  I'm going to do prefolds and covers but there are NB pockets/AIOs that many go with for ease.

Remember CDing accessories: pail liners/hanging wet bag for dirty dipes,  wet bags for the diaper bag, CD friendly rash creams, Snappi's and pins for prefolds, flannel wipes 

I know it seems like a lot but it's easy to catch on to and fun to build your stash!

• I'll bite! Keep in mind, my DD is only 4.5 months so I'm not uber experienced.

1. As PPs said, Cloth Diaper 101 is the place to start. There's also FAQs at the top of this board, very helpful place.

2. We love BumGenius 4.0. However, some people hate BumGenius. Every diaper doesn't fit every baby, so I don't recommend buying an entire stash of one brand before your baby is born because if they don't fit, you're going to have to sell and rebuy. 

3. Put diaper on baby. Baby pees/poops. Take diaper off, put it in wet bag. Wash every day/every other. Repeat. I find it ridiculously easy, and I don't have the stench of disposable diapers stinking up my nursery. Yes, there is laundry involved, but that doesn't bother me.

Liners: I'm assuming you mean the disposable liners, right? I haven't used liners yet because my DD still has runny breastmilk poo, which the liner just makes more of a mess. From what I've read, they become convenient when poop becomes more solid and plopable. Some people love 'em, some hate 'em. They're not a must have. ::shrug:: 

I sold the idea to my SO easily. We're all about creating less waste and saving money, so cloth diapers were an easy choice. There's lots of articles out there that explain the benefits if you think that will help convince your H.  

• gifwizgifwiz

I just want to thank you ladies again for taking the time to answer my questions! I cant thank you enough!

I started watching the first video and quick question that also came to mind.. What is your go-to solution for overnights? Do many of you use the wool covers for that? 

• sarenu1sarenu1
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary Combo Breaker

1. As the PP have said.

2. Skip Target and BRU.  See if there's a cloth diaper store near you and stop in.  Or see if someone does a class on cloth diapering in your area.  Ask hospitals, resale shops, cloth diaper stores, and lactation consultants.  It's nice to see and play with diapers before you start buying. 

For Daycare I love my BG pockets.  For weekends I love prefolds and covers.  They are super simple at  this stage and almost fool proof.  I've even been using a prefold with a hemp insert for my overnight diaper for about 4 months now.

3. Until they start solids, just dump everything in the wash.  After solids I spray my wipes and pockets and the wash every other day.  Sometimes every three days.  I don't use liners.  I tried the disposable liners when we traveled once.  They were more of a pain and I haven't used them since. 

My wash routine is pretty simple.  Cold rinse and spin (if I've waited 3 days I do a warm cycle), Followed by hot/cold wash with an extra rinse.  I use Tiny Bubbles for my diapers.

• image dh13:

I just want to thank you ladies again for taking the time to answer my questions! I cant thank you enough!

I started watching the first video and quick question that also came to mind.. What is your go-to solution for overnights? Do many of you use the wool covers for that? 

I've been crocheting wool soakers in all sizes and plan to start using them from the beginning.  Not all use wool for NBs though because you are still changing so often and they grow so fast.  

If I didn't make my own covers I wouldn't even consider wool until LO started STTN and really soaking the diaper. 

• Our go-to for night is a BumGenius 4.0 stuffed with the regular large insert and a Thirsties hemp insert. 

• gifwizgifwiz

In the NB stage, is it pretty much standard to just use the prefolds and covers? At what age/stage did you introduce pockets and inserts (I know this is going to be different for everyone, but just an idea to be prepared for what I would need right away)?

Also, I'm seeing the "all-in-one" cloth diapers at a store nearby online.. Is this the equivalent of a pocket diaper or is this something completely different than that? 

• I had a mix of newborn diapers. I had some lil joeys AIO to make it easy for DH and the grandparents. I had Kissas fleece fitteds for night, and I had prefolds for when I was doing laundry or running low on the other diapers. Some love prefolds, I wasn't a big fan. I started using my small one size pockets once the cord healed. Different brands fit a different times. All fit by 5 weeks.

AIOs are all one piece whereas a pocket has a separate insert that comes out. Some AIOs have a soaker that folds out to dry faster, but it's still attached.
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    image dh13:

In the NB stage, is it pretty much standard to just use the prefolds and covers? At what age/stage did you introduce pockets and inserts (I know this is going to be different for everyone, but just an idea to be prepared for what I would need right away)?

Also, I'm seeing the "all-in-one" cloth diapers at a store nearby online.. Is this the equivalent of a pocket diaper or is this something completely different than that? 

I would say around 75% of people use prefolds and covers.  The other 25% use either all-in-ones (AIOs) or fitteds with covers.  The nice thing about prefolds & covers is that they are easy to care for (get clean easy, dry fast, can be dried in the dryer, don't stain easily), contain runny NB poo well, and are cheap which is nice during the NB stage when you need a lot of diapers.

Our one-size pockets started fitting around 6 - 8 weeks (10-12 pounds). 

A true all-in-one is basically a cover with insert(s) sewn in.  So it's all contained in one diaper.  No stuffing.  The nice thing is they are most like disposables in that it's just one piece.  The downside is that they are slow to dry (because it's all one peice and because you shouldn't dry the pull in the dryer on higher than low heat), also it's harder to add absorbency if you have a heavy wetter, and they are more expensive than prefolds/covers and some pockets.  Some companies call there one-size pocket diapers all-in-ones, meaning that it has 'everything you need for diapering through potty training' which is a bit confusing. 

For overnight solutions - When LO was under 3.5 months we just used our normal pocket diapers, stuffed with both the small and large inserts.  Or I'd add a bamboo doubler in with the large insert.  Around 3.5 months he started STTN and became a heavy wetter.  Now we love EcoPosh fitteds with or bamboo prefolds snappied with fleece stay dry liner and an extra bamboo doubler under a PUL cover.  Just me, but I'd never do wool for a NB.  First off they don't usally sleep long enough to need a bullet proof cover.  Second cleaning poo off  a wool cover while being sleep deprived doesn't sound like fun to me.  

image imageimageimage

• gifwizgifwiz

I'm so thankful for the responses. I am literally taking notes on different scenarios from what you all have suggested so that I don't forget lol!

I'm hoping to get DH on board with this.. I feel that the best and "easiest" solution for him would be pocket diapers. He won't be doing the laundry so he won't have to worry about that aspect of it, but it seems like the most "user friendly" so to speak. 

• image dh13:

I'm so thankful for the responses. I am literally taking notes on different scenarios from what you all have suggested so that I don't forget lol!

I'm hoping to get DH on board with this.. I feel that the best and "easiest" solution for him would be pocket diapers. He won't be doing the laundry so he won't have to worry about that aspect of it, but it seems like the most "user friendly" so to speak. 

If YH seems interested, I would really recommend you have him watch the CDing series with you (at least the first 3 episodes).  After showing MH the videos, he was onboard with prefolds for NB.  Also be sure to mention how much you will save!