April 2013 Moms

head slumping forward in car seat

mobile users: head slumping forward in car seat.

I have a baby trend expedition travel system I wondered if it was OK that his head slumps forward while sleeping, both in the car in the stroller. I feel like he needs more support somewhere he's going to cut off his airway while riding like that! So I'm terrified to take him anywhere unless DH is driving Im in the back seat holding his head up! Any advice on if this position is acceptable or any solutions? TIA!

Re: head slumping forward in car seat

• Do you  have a car seat head support insert? My Dd had the same problem, but doesn't now as the head support fits snugly and keeps her head in place.

imageimage
    DS Born 2/22/09. TTC #2 since Oct. 2011. MMC on 05/03/12 at 12w1d. CP on 02/08/12 at 5 weeks.

BFP 07/27/2012 - Beta 1 - 169 @ 11 DPO, Beta 2 - 419 @ 13 DPO, DD Born on 04/04/2013.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AL Always Welcome

• We had this problem too with a baby trend travel system. I rolled up a receiving blanket and stuck it around the car seat head insert. Its been doing pretty good. As she gets stronger and has more control, we're noticing it less and less.
    TTC our Navy Baby since 03/2010.
    1st BFP 10/2010.
    Twins discovered @ 6wks.
    Natural Miscarriage @ 11 wks, 01/2011.
    2nd BFP 05/2011.
    D & E Due to PPROM, 8/2011
    3rd BFP 8/2012
    Preventative Cerclage @ 14 weeks
    ???EDD APRIL 7, 2013 ???
    It's A GIRL!! TEAM PINK!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have the same travel system, and DD does the same thing even with the head support. No advice, just wanted to commiserate!

Anniversary
    BFP #1: 5/10/12; 5/22/12: pregnancy deemed not viable (probably CP)
    BFP #2: 8/2/12; Due date: 4/14/13, DD born 4/5/2013
  • I've got the Peg Perego convertible carseat and my daughters head slumps to the side, but not forward. Apparently slumping to the side I'd alright.

I've found this lady's website really informative for everything carseat related :)

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/car_seats/rear-facing_seats_12.html 

• We have the same problem and asked the doc about it yesterday. He said it's fine but if we want we could wrap a blanket up to offer support.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have the same system and had to buy the headrest separately. Your baby's head should not be moving freely about. You can use rolled up receiving blankets too but I like the insert we got.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • We had this issue and DH fixed the positioning of her car seat base and it helped tons! Even when she wasn't riding in the car and we were out and about in a store she was still slouching! I guess on the car ride she figured out what was comfortable and was just staying like that!
  • Thanks for all the tips!  I'm doing lots of tummy time with him to help strengthen his neck muscles.  I guess in the mean time, I'll try adding more support in the head positioner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards