January 2013 Moms

4 month wakeful period....

...we are there already!  And, of course it hit right when Jack started sleeping through the night. But, all the signs are there: distracted daytime eating, big meals to make it up at night, short naps and lots of activity when awake.   

STMs: when did it end?  I mean, I am excited that we are on the cusp of all these great milestones and that he is a happier, albeit nosy baby now.   But...dang...I miss uninterrupted sleep.  Does 4 month wakeful period mean the WHOLE 4th month? Because Jack isn't 4 months until Monday and he definitely started 1-2 weeks ago.  No fair!

BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: 4 month wakeful period....

• DD seemed to deal with this starting at about 13 weeks and last night was the first time she only woke up twice in the MOTN since before then! She's almost 17 weeks now, I have my fingers crossed she sleeps well again tonight.
  • BLPL101BLPL101
    5000 Comments 25 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    We are going through it. She will not nap so I've started swaddling her. It's the only way she will take a nap. Sigh.
  • image BLPL101:
    We are going through it. She will not nap so I've started swaddling her. It's the only way she will take a nap. Sigh.

We only swaddle at night and we tried to stop that too because he kept breaking free...but he had a meltdown and we caved really quickly.  

I would try the swaddle for naps too but it's been so warm that he would be too uncomfortable swaddled during the day.   And, we have the Swaddle Strap too...not much material there but Jack is a hot baby.  Usually he naps in the swing but he doesn't want me to put him down now.  As soon as I do he wakes up.  

The big difference I think is that he doesn't wake up grumpy from these short naps like he used to. He used to be a gremlin when he didn't nap enough.  Thank goodness for small favors!  

BabyFruit Ticker 

• image this decaf life:
    DD seemed to deal with this starting at about 13 weeks and last night was the first time she only woke up twice in the MOTN since before then! She's almost 17 weeks now, I have my fingers crossed she sleeps well again tonight.

Good luck!  We have been lucky with that.  Jack really hasn't had 2 motn feedings since a month old...and was sleeping through the night at 3 months.  But, now, he is waking between 1-2 times a night.  I know a lot of you ladies have it way worse and I shouldn't complain.  But its always tough to accept sleep regression. I guess I should get used to it...there will be lots more regressions in the future!  

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Happy 4 mo. to your LO! DS will also be 4 months on Monday! Still STTN here but, along with teething, DS is no longer napping. He has always been a short cat napper but it's been really bad lately. I've tried everything. Today he did manage to sleep for 20 min at home and then the whole time we were at Walmart but two days recently he wouldn't even nap for 5 minutes! Although I'll take STTN over naps anyday.
  • image NortyLeigh:
    Happy 4 mo. to your LO! DS will also be 4 months on Monday! Still STTN here but, along with teething, DS is no longer napping. He has always been a short cat napper but it's been really bad lately. I've tried everything. Today he did manage to sleep for 20 min at home and then the whole time we were at Walmart but two days recently he wouldn't even nap for 5 minutes! Although I'll take STTN over naps anyday.

Same here. DD started this just this week. DH is really struggling with no naps on the days that he has her. However, with no naps, she's usually out earlier at night. And crossing my fingers, still only 1 motn feeding. That being said, we aren't officially 4 months until Wednesday.
    TTC since 7/2010. BFP #1 10/7/2010. M/C 11/3/2010.
    PCOS diagnosed 10/2011. BFP #2 4/29/2012 after 3 rounds of Clomid. 1/8/13- our little miracle is here!

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jjr1214jjr1214
    Third Anniversary
    DD was 4 months yesterday and has been regressing over the course of the last week or two. We were getting solid 67 hour stretches at night and so close to just one MOTN feeding and the last week she hasn't slept longer than 4 hours. I think part of that is because she isn't eating well at daycare though so she is hungrier at night. Whatever it is I am ready for this phase to end! I think the wonder week associated with this is supposed to end around 19 weeks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image jjr1214:
    DD was 4 months yesterday and has been regressing over the course of the last week or two. We were getting solid 67 hour stretches at night and so close to just one MOTN feeding and the last week she hasn't slept longer than 4 hours. I think part of that is because she isn't eating well at daycare though so she is hungrier at night. Whatever it is I am ready for this phase to end! I think the wonder week associated with this is supposed to end around 19 weeks.

Jack isn't eating too well during the daytime either and he is home with me all day.  Everything distracts him.  I can only imagine all the distractions at daycare.   Hopefully this will end in a couple of weeks. 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• LO still sucks at napping...always wakes up at the 45 min mark but last night he slept for 10 hours! I pray this continues but I'm not holding my breath.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers