Parenting

Inappropriate Kids Movies

DH picked up a whole bunch of older Disney movies. Things like Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan, ect. I never knew how wildly inappropriate they are now. Like theres a whole song about The Red Man? Anyone else notice this? What movies have you found that are now way inappropriate for the times?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersPitaPata Dog tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Inappropriate Kids Movies

• I think pretty much all kid's movies have adult entertainment in them. How else would they get parents to sit through them with their kids?

My favorite, though, is from Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1gJHj0vUao

June 2014 April Siggy Challenge - Cute Baby Animals
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Kryptic Mischief in the Making
  • image krptcmschfmkr128:

I think pretty much all kid's movies have adult entertainment in them. How else would they get parents to sit through them with their kids?

I'm not talking about suggestive material. I'm talking about things like child beating, booze, and racist things in the old kids movies. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersPitaPata Dog tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Estwd2Estwd2
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    The crows from Dumbo. Racism in all its technicolor glory.
  • image Nana_Osaki06:
    image krptcmschfmkr128:

I think pretty much all kid's movies have adult entertainment in them. How else would they get parents to sit through them with their kids?

I'm not talking about suggestive material. I'm talking about things like child beating, booze, and racist things in the old kids movies. 

Ah gotcha. 

• Most "classic" kids movies are inappropriate for one reason or another viewed through today's eyes.
    http://i.imgur.com/LQTLw2Q.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • image LuckyDad:
    Most "classic" kids movies are inappropriate for one reason or another viewed through today's eyes.

True dat. I was just shocked about some of it. Just in The Rescuers and Peter Pan alone.

• Yeah we just watched Peter Pan the other day. Lily was of course thrilled because it contained both pirates and Tinkerbell. I was like, "Holy shiit this is so racist!!"...and then wondered why Song of the South was basically banned here if it's still OK to show Peter Pan. 

Can't remember what's wrong with Lady & the Tramp though?  

• image Nana_Osaki06:

image LuckyDad:
    Most "classic" kids movies are inappropriate for one reason or another viewed through today's eyes.

True dat. I was just shocked about some of it. Just in The Rescuers and Peter Pan alone.

What happened in the rescuers?

• image MintBerryCrunch:

Yeah we just watched Peter Pan the other day. Lily was of course thrilled because it contained both pirates and Tinkerbell. I was like, "Holy shiit this is so racist!!"...and then wondered why Song of the South was basically banned here if it's still OK to show Peter Pan. 

The only thing I can come up with is the class issues?

• image RondackHiker:
    image Nana_Osaki06:

image LuckyDad:

They talk about alcohol and getting drunk... a lot. They stick a little girl at gun point into a hole. The hit her. There was a lot wrong with that movie lol.

Also, there wasn't much wrong with Lady and the Tramp. The only thing that bothers me is the dog hitting.

• image MintBerryCrunch:

Yeah we just watched Peter Pan the other day. Lily was of course thrilled because it contained both pirates and Tinkerbell. I was like, "Holy shiit this is so racist!!"...and then wondered why Song of the South was basically banned here if it's still OK to show Peter Pan. 

What the what? Are you talking about the classic song "Song of the South" by legendary country band Alabama?

After 3 years of infertility, our IVF miracle has arrived! Detailed IF and IVF info in my bio.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image jme515:
    image MintBerryCrunch:

What the what? Are you talking about the classic song "Song of the South" by legendary country band Alabama?

No. It's an old Disney movie about black people.

• Yep. I HATE Dumbo. Scared the hell pitas DS when my in laws showed it to him too..
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple" 8/30/12 ~ EDD 5/15/12 ~ Stick, baby, stick! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image Nana_Osaki06:
    image RondackHiker:
    image Nana_Osaki06:

image LuckyDad:

They talk about alcohol and getting drunk... a lot. They stick a little girl at gun point into a hole. The hit her. There was a lot wrong with that movie lol.

Also, there wasn't much wrong with Lady and the Tramp. The only thing that bothers me is the dog hitting.

I don't remember the gun or hitting the kid in Rescuers. Huh. Or hitting the dog in Lady and the Tramp. Refresh my memory... Who hit which dog?

• FTWRFTWR
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    We watched An American Tale the other weekend. The mayor or w/e was a drunk Irishman and the mice from the different nationalities were very sterotypical. Also, The Little Drummer Boy. They kill his mom and dad, set their house on fire, and sell him into child labor/slavery/trafficking.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

applause
  • Remind me what's racist in about the crows in Dumbo.  It's been awhile since I've seen that.  DD1 only watches movies that contain princesses.  DD2 only likes Minnie Mouse.
     Lilypie - (F3i3)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image Nana_Osaki06:
    image jme515:
    image MintBerryCrunch:

Ah, I see. Carry on then. Wink

After 3 years of infertility, our IVF miracle has arrived! Detailed IF and IVF info in my bio.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image RondackHiker:
    image Nana_Osaki06:
    image RondackHiker:
    image Nana_Osaki06:

image LuckyDad:

I don't remember the gun or hitting the kid in Rescuers. Huh. Or hitting the dog in Lady and the Tramp. Refresh my memory... Who hit which dog?

When she handles the little girl she has a rifle that she helps to push her into the cave to get the diamond. Lots of threatening with said rifle too. We only watched it once, but it was alarming when I did watch it. I don't remember it being like that as a kid. 

ETA they also show and talk about Darling hitting Lady over a ball of yarn. Then there was the Siamese cats. Very stereotypical Asian thing going on. Then the muzzle.

• image Nana_Osaki06:
    image jme515:
    image MintBerryCrunch:

Yeah, it's the movie that Splash Mountain at Disney World/Disneyland is based upon, with Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear, Brer etc.  

• Ariel flashes her tits in The Little Mermaid and the priest gets a boner.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image Nana_Osaki06:
    image RondackHiker:
    image Nana_Osaki06:
    image RondackHiker:
    image Nana_Osaki06:

image LuckyDad:

When she handles the little girl she has a rifle that she helps to push her into the cave to get the diamond. Lots of threatening with said rifle too. We only watched it once, but it was alarming when I did watch it. I don't remember it being like that as a kid. 

ETA they also show and talk about Darling hitting Lady over a ball of yarn. Then there was the Siamese cats. Very stereotypical Asian thing going on. Then the muzzle.

Yeah, dog violence is no bueno. I totally loved the cats when I was little.

Me am Siamese if you plee-ese, Meow!  

• image brittersdamod:
    Pinocchio.

What's so bad about Pinocchio?

• image krptcmschfmkr128:

image brittersdamod:
    Pinocchio.

I feel like I need to watch these all again. I remember none of these offensive parts.

• Ok, apparently it was all the alcohol, drinking, smoking, and mention of moonshine in The Rescuers. On top of all the gun toting little girl abusing crap.
  • image RondackHiker:
    image krptcmschfmkr128:

image brittersdamod:
    Pinocchio.

I feel like I need to watch these all again. I remember none of these offensive parts.

Ditto. I remember some, vaguely, but not all.

• image morgann2010:
    Watership Down. Everything about that movie, WTF?

That's based on a book though, right?  I haven't read it or seen the movie though.

Lilypie - (F3i3)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The Aristocats has some raciest stuff too...the alley cats are all different races, the asian one is the worst though...siamese cat like lady and the tramp, but he plays the piano with chop sticks and says things like "shanghi kung fu egg foo yung, fortune cookie always wrong."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • kj07kj07
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 250 Answers 100 Love Its
    image Moidonna:

image morgann2010:
    Watership Down. Everything about that movie, WTF?

That's based on a book though, right?  I haven't read it or seen the movie though.

I had to read the book in 8th grade and loathed it.  It was horrid to trudge through!

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.