September 2012 Moms

Can we talk about Plan B?

Because I have mixed feelings on this drug.
Small potatoes.

Re: Can we talk about Plan B?

• It was sort of discussed here in Rora's S13 fun post.

What are you mixed about? The drug itself? It's availability?

Resolution Tip: Hurry! Eat as much   food as you can right now so you'll have more to lose once the New Year arrives.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do too.  On the drug itself. 

I feel like if you can't be responsible enough to use birth control then you need to deal with the consequences. 

**I'm NOT talking about sexual assault**

[/IMG]Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Oh I didn't read that post.

The availability I suppose. 15 is really young, but I do think the availability should be there. I'm glad it's over the counter though and I would hope that it would prevent some teen mothers.

And sometimes I hate our stupid state because they are trying to cut the abortion funding from the Medicaid program. Um hello legislation, you do realize that all these Medicaid mothers will now have Medicaid babies. Way to save the state money dillholes.

Small potatoes.
  • I am confused about the drug itself...

Does it actually terminate a pregnancy or just cause shedding of the lining?  Or something completely different? 

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• image gingerfamily:

I do too.  On the drug itself. 

I feel like if you can't be responsible enough to use birth control then you need to deal with the consequences. 

I tend to agree, but we've all seen instances of birth control failing. And that's where the pro-choice aspect comes into play for me, because I feel like they *should* be able to easily get that pill to prevent fertilization.

Small potatoes.
  • hmp1hmp1
    Ninth Anniversary 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    I have never done any research on the drug so I really don't have a view point on it. While I wish it was not necessary, I don't have a problem with it being available at a younger age. I do feel pretty strongly about parents taking the girls to a gyno early on and letting them build a relationship with the doctor so hopefully they will talk to the doctor about such things that they may be too scared to talk to the parent about. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• image willy_gert:

I am confused about the drug itself...

Does it actually terminate a pregnancy or just cause shedding of the lining?  Or something completely different? 

It prevents the egg from attaching to the uterine wall, whether fertilized or not.

Small potatoes.
  • image hmp&mrj:
    I have never done any research on the drug so I really don't have a view point on it. While I wish it was not necessary, I don't have a problem with it being available at a younger age. I do feel pretty strongly about parents taking the girls to a gyno early on and letting them build a relationship with the doctor so hopefully they will talk to the doctor about such things that they may be too scared to talk to the parent about. 

I agree. Speaking from experience though, since I was a Christian girl, I wasn't having premarital sex, especially in high school. Except that I was. And I couldn't tell my mom. And since I wasn't sexually active, I didn't need to see a gyno until I became sexually active.

Small potatoes.
  • image willy_gert:

It will not terminate a pregnancy.

It sheds the lining before a potential embryo could implant. But you don't know if sperm ever met the egg or not. So, basically it's just starting your period. 

• image LoveLossHopeRepeat:
    image gingerfamily:

I can't get behind that line of thinking, not when we're talking about teenagers as the users (not that they'll be the only ones) and babies as the consequence. 

I can understand that. 

I'm Pro-Life.  So, to me this goes against it. 

• I am for the drug and am ok with the way they are administering it as long as they aren't using that as a band aid to replace educating kids, and adults for that matter, on how it works and how to prevent pregnancy and/or STD's properly. You can keep attacking smaller parts of the problem, but until you educate people properly, you aren't really changing much.

imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • HyalineHyaline
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its
    image willy_gert:

My understanding is that it's a "superdose" of hormone that stops the process in one of a few ways depending on where a woman is in her cycle--prevents ovulation, prevents fertilization, or prevents implantation.  So technically speaking it depends on when you define "terminating a pregnancy" to be, because it can prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg.  If you consider that to be terminating a pregnancy, then yes, Plan B can do that.  (I think that medically speaking it's only considered a pregnancy if implantation has happened, but I'm not sure.) 

• Here's what I'm confused about:

1. Education.  Sex ed programs are so lacking as it is--who's going to teach people about how to use this product?  The pharmacist they don't feel comfortable talking to?  Or their doctor that they didn't want to go to in the first place?

2. The age.  What's the difference if it's a 15yo or a 17yo that can get this?  Are you suddenly way more responsible at 17 than you are at 15?  I was having sex at 15.  I'm pretty sure I was still a stupid high schooler at 17 too.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• image Hyaline:
    image willy_gert:

My understanding is that it's a "superdose" of hormone that stops the process in one of a few ways depending on where a woman is in her cycle--prevents ovulation, prevents fertilization, or prevents implantation.  So technically speaking it depends on when you define "terminating a pregnancy" to be, because it can prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg.  If you consider that to be terminating a pregnancy, then yes, Plan B can do that.  (I think that medically speaking it's only considered a pregnancy if implantation has happened, but I'm not sure.) 

Taking 3-4 BCP will accomplish similar results as Plan B.

It does not destroy the fertilized egg, so that's where I can't get on board with anything related to abortion and Plan B. They are NOT the same.

Small potatoes.
  • image gingerfamily:
    image LoveLossHopeRepeat:
    image gingerfamily:

I can't get behind that line of thinking, not when we're talking about teenagers as the users (not that they'll be the only ones) and babies as the consequence. 

I can understand that. 

Serious question for you:  What about Birth Control then?  I have heard many pro-life people say that it is just as bad?  

I am pro-life as well and I still use birth control.  I don't really know how I feel about the Plan B pill.  If it is preventing pregnancy and not actually terminating a embryo or fetus, then I don't see what the difference in. 

• hmp1hmp1
    Ninth Anniversary 10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    image LoisLayn23:

image hmp&mrj:

I agree. Speaking from experience though, since I was a Christian girl, I wasn't having premarital sex, especially in high school. Except that I was. And I couldn't tell my mom. And since I wasn't sexually active, I didn't need to see a gyno until I became sexually active.

And that is my point. Start seeing a gyno when you get your period so they can build a relationship before they need to have a relationship. You know. I do not expect my kids to tell me when the start having sex. I would like them to, but I do not expect that they will. I didn't tell my parents. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

image gingerfamily:
    image gingerfamily:

I can understand that. 

Ah, gotcha. So we won't see eye-to-eye on this one.

Thanks for clarifying, though. 

ETA: Actually, I have a question. Are you against birth control? If not, then how does this differ, since it doesn't take a life? 

I am unless you are on it for a medical reason.  For example, to keep my PCOS symptoms at bay I need to be on BCP. 

• I am against its use at any age because it goes against my belief that life begins at conception.

• image gingerfamily:

What about an 19 yr old who is using condoms as BC with her bf but the condom breaks? This 19yr old couldn't afford the pill itself so I paid for it for her. She couldn't afford the pill, her BF refused to help her and so I didn't see how in anyway she was going to raise a child if a pregnancy did occur.

An alternate name for plan B is "the morning after" its meant to be taken ASAP after unprotected sex or BC failure occurs. 

BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
    BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
    BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
    BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
    BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13
  • image LoisLayn23:

image hmp&mrj:

This exactly.  

In a perfect world that would happen, but in the real world, teens hide their sexual activity from their parents. And parents don't want to believe that their kids are sexually active. Because teen pregnancy would NEVER happen to them. 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• bump burp

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• image willy_gert:
    image gingerfamily:
    image gingerfamily:

I can understand that. 

Serious question for you:  What about Birth Control then?  I have heard many pro-life people say that it is just as bad?  

I am pro-life as well and I still use birth control.  I don't really know how I feel about the Plan B pill.  If it is preventing pregnancy and not actually terminating a embryo or fetus, then I don't see what the difference in. 

^ just answered that one.  I can't judge others who take birtch control b/c honestly it's none of my business.  I know if I didn't have to be on it for medical purposes I wouldn't be. 

• It's just...ugh.

Small potatoes.
  • image gingerfamily:

I encourage you to find another term.

I think it is much more similar to birth control than anything and thus I am a-ok with it being OTC to anyone.

• LuvSDLuvSD
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Love Its
    image gingerfamily:
    image gingerfamily:

I can understand that. 

How does Pro-Life have anything to do with it? It doesn't terminate a pregnancy, it prevents one.

imageimageimage

image mrssqueegy:
    I am against its use at any age because it goes against my belief that life begins at conception.

But. Life hasn't been conceived. The egg cannot be fertilized, IF it even was going to happen.  

Exactly. If the egg hasn't met the sperm, there's no conception. Conception =/=sex.

Small potatoes.

image mrssqueegy:
    I am against its use at any age because it goes against my belief that life begins at conception.

But. Life hasn't been conceived. The egg cannot be fertilized, IF it even was going to happen.  

I guess that is where I am at on this.  Has a life been conceived and therefore it is termination of a pregnancy?  I do not know enough about it medically to answer that question.  I just know that I hope my daughter and I can talk about sex openly and honestly and that she will feel comfortable telling me about her sex life when the time comes. 

• HyalineHyaline
    image LoisLayn23:
    image Hyaline:
    image willy_gert:

Taking 3-4 BCP will accomplish similar results as Plan B.

It does not destroy the fertilized egg, so that's where I can't get on board with anything related to abortion and Plan B. They are NOT the same.

For me--because it *can* prevent a fertilized egg from implanting--I can understand why someone would consider it terminating a pregnancy and relate it to abortion.  Now--I think 95% of those trying to relate it to abortion have no idea what they're talking about and are spouting drivel that's actually about the "abortion pill" not Plan B.  But if someone honestly believes that life begins when sperm meets egg, not a moment after, well, I can appreciate why they'd be against using Plan B.  It's why I personally have mixed feelings about whether I'd use it myself because--honest moment here--I do believe life begins at conception and would never terminate a pregnancy. 

• image isacdimi10:
    image gingerfamily:

What about an 19 yr old who is using condoms as BC with her bf but the condom breaks? This 19yr old couldn't afford the pill itself so I paid for it for her. She couldn't afford the pill, her BF refused to help her and so I didn't see how in anyway she was going to raise a child if a pregnancy did occur.

An alternate name for plan B is "the morning after" its meant to be taken ASAP after unprotected sex or BC failure occurs. 

I'm not going to get in debates about how I feel about the subject. 

If you, as a 19 year old, (general you, not you you) are having sex you know that condoms do break and bcp don't always work.  Nothing is 100% effective.  Use a back-up birth control method. 

• HyalineHyaline
    image willy_gert:

image mrssqueegy:

I guess that is where I am at on this.  Has a life been conceived and therefore it is termination of a pregnancy?  I do not know enough about it medically to answer that question.  I just know that I hope my daughter and I can talk about sex openly and honestly and that she will feel comfortable telling me about her sex life when the time comes. 

I don't think it's a medically answerable question.  Can sperm have met egg and Plan B still prevent the completion of a pregnancy from that?  Yes.  Was "life conceived?"  That's a question I think we all answer differently.