September 2012 Moms

BFing supply ?

So, DD started STTN, 2? weeks ago. It has been heaven. SO, I would go from about 8pm-6:30am without nursing/pumping...my supply actually increased slightly from it. The last 3 nights she has been up 1x ravenously hungry, I assume a growth spurt. She then wakes again usual time to eat @ 6:30.

I normally have oversupply, producing an extra 3-5oz a day. Today, I should just make what she needs for daycare tomorrow. I know, not a big deal, but I'm curious, is her change of schedule throwing off my supply? Or is it probably just an off day of pumping?

I'm not freaking out or anything, more or less trying to figure out what could be going on so I can "fix" it. I like the extra 3-5oz a day, obviously. I'm trying to bulk my stash up for the weaning process.

Whatcha got for me?

Resolution Tip: Hurry! Eat as much   food as you can right now so you'll have more to lose once the New Year arrives.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BFing supply ?

• Two possibilities.

The eating once at night is taking away from what you are making, so you aren't going to get as much.

I read that oversupply usually corrects itself between 6 to 9 months. That could be what is going on. This just happened to me. I now have a "normal" supply, which is TANKED for me. But essentially, I don't make enough one day for the next. And that's what's considered normal, unfortunately.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Initially when DS started STTN, I would pump a ton after his first morning feed because I was so engorged.  Now, it's not as much because my supply has regulated to making a little less at night.  Your supply might be regulating to her STTN.  Sorry.  :(

• mnkatemnkate
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary

image mrssqueegy:
    Initially when DS started STTN, I would pump a ton after his first morning feed because I was so engorged.  Now, it's not as much because my supply has regulated to making a little less at night.  Your supply might be regulating to her STTN.  Sorry.  :(

This exact same thing started happening to me about two weeks ago when A started regularly STTN. My early AM pump, I used to pull 8-10 oz after he ate. Now I get about 4-5oz. and that's if I pump that crap out of my boobs.

Yet again, Reese and Augs are on the same page. Twinsies. 

• Damnit, Augie. Stop corrupting my daughter already.

Well gee. This was full of joy and happiness.

Damn you squeeg and kellers. Tell me what I want to hear....that my boobs will fill up to max capacity again.

Resolution Tip: Hurry! Eat as much   food as you can right now so you'll have more to lose once the New Year arrives.

• image thechimichanga:
    Damnit, Augie. Stop corrupting my daughter already.Well gee. This was full of joy and happiness. Damn you squeeg and kellers. Tell me what I want to hear....that my boobs will fill up to max capacity again.

Sorry lady. I seriously wish they would. I'm irrationally depressed about it.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • On the other hand, my kid is NOT sleeping through the night (up 2 to 6 times, you lucky bishes), and this week I've gone from a consistent oversupply of 2 to 6 ounces to matching her. She's 7.5 months.
  • image KellersPrag:

I read that oversupply usually corrects itself between 6 to 9 months. That could be what is going on. This just happened to me. I now have a "normal" supply, which is TANKED for me. But essentially, I don't make enough one day for the next. And that's what's considered normal, unfortunately.

This is me.... ::sobs::

• So L has STTN for 4 nights now. I am pumping about 3oz more than normal. I normally have an oversupply, so presumably my supply will even out in a week or so (if she keeps up with the sleep - please baby girl?!?)? Will it reduce because of STTN and reduce again because of age?

I'm with Tara here - tell me what I want to hear! 

My big TWO year old!
  • image KellersPrag:
    Two possibilities.

This. I had an oversupply that I didn't know to maintain, being a ftm and all and it tanked a couple months back.

Visit The Nest!
  • danabsddanabsd
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    Do you pump or feed her from the tap in the morning?
    You may be able to adjust your pump/nurse schedule to trick your body into making a little more?

• image danab_sd:
    Do you pump or feed her from the tap in the morning? You may be able to adjust your pump/nurse schedule to trick your body into making a little more?

I nurse her in the morning around 6:30, and then I pump between 9 and 10 at work. then between 12 and 1 and then around 4.

I had always pumped about 18oz, when she started to STTN I was getting 20. yesterday I got exactly 15oz, which is what she needs for daycare.

No idea if that answers your question? haha

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards