3rd Trimester

What are you getting?

What are you getting for your baby to sleep in once they are born? I hear bassinets are a waste so I was going to get a pack n play with the bassinet part and have her sleep in that...and actually I originally wanted the full size Arms Reach but BRU only has the mini..the ooriginal has to be ordered online. Which are you going with?
Also she'll be in mine and Hubby's room

EDIT: I wanted to add that we already have her regular size crib..is there a reason a newborn can't sleep in it? I rarely hear of parents using them for a newborn...why?

Re: What are you getting?

• Bassinet. In my personal opinion I think PnP are a waste of money, but that's just me-

• we share our room with the baby, crib is on other side of room, and for long feedings I plan on putting a rock n play next to the bed so I don't have to keep on getting up. 
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • We're getting a PnP for when we go visit my parents or ILs, so we'll set it up in our room for the first few weeks until she starts sleeping in her crib.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had a mini co-sleeper for DS1 at the beginning (ended up bed sharing not long after his birth), and we side-carred a crib for the twins. 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 - Matched with T&B

babybaby
  • The PNP with the bassinet is a great option. We probably would have used ours, but we kept our PNP downstairs, primarily for its changing table, for months. But we got an inexpensive bassinet from Craigslist that has a removable side panel so it can be used like a cosleeper. I think we paid $20 for it. It worked out great for DD, and we plan to use it again. DD was only in our room for 4 weeks though--we plan to do the same with baby #2. Then we'll probably resell the bassinet on CL for $10-15. :)

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• jlpevjlpev
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    I used a pnp for a week with DS and decided to move him to his crib. I couldn't sleep with him in our room. He was a loud sleeper.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are sharing a room with lo since we only have 1 bdrm and can't afford a bigger place right now. We have the crib set up in the corner and that's where he will sleep. Since he's so close we don't think we will need a bassinet or anything similar. I also rarely hear about NBs sleepin in a crib. Maybe it's just because they wake up so frequently its just easier to have them in the room with you?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

July13 siggy
    photo tumblr_mrkzbefwO71qzx3jto1_400_zps341d9bbc.gif

• RNP or his crib (which is in our room.)
  • I bought a fisher price rock n play. I can't wait to use it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • Rock n Play for a few months, then the crib.

Newborns can sleep in the crib. It's just personal preference really. DD slept in her crib from day 1. But we live in a two bedroom house (DD and DS will share a room), and I don't want to disturb DD with constant night feedings and changings, so we'll be keeping the baby with us until he's STTN. 

kids

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • WAMOMWAMOM
    250 Answers 500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary

We have a bassinet because our room won't fit the crib. We have a PnP for travel.

There is no reason a newborn can't be in a full sized crib but I think with the many many many times you'll be up in the middle of the night for the first few weeks/months it's easier to have something right next to you then having to go to a seperate room.

DS was in our bedroom when he was an infant because we were in a studio apartment at the time. Then when we bought our house he was about 5 months old and was moved to his own room.

I'm actually nervous starting off with the bassinet this time because I'm afraid of the transition from teh bassinet to the full sized crib.

• We are going to get a co bed sleeper and he will go in the middle of us.
    imageimageimageimage

• A friend of ours gave us a bassinet :) so we're going to use that until he is too big for it...then since we have a play pen we'll use that until we get a crib.

imageimageimage

• There's no reason baby can't sleep in the crib.  It's a matter of preference.  Personally we got a PNP with DS1 because our apartment didn't have central air and I wanted him in our room, which we kept a little cooler (summer baby) and we moved him to his room in September.  The PNP got used in the living room after that as a way to safely contain him while I peed or whatever and after that it got turned into a ball pit :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• ehnastoehnasto
    500 Comments

I have all 3 (a bassinett, a pnp and a crib). I would not have a bassinett if it wasn't for the fact that it was free from my mom (she gave me the one she used for myself and my sister). The bassinett will take up residancy at my sisters house once LO is about 2 months old since she too is prgo.

I got a PNP because I have a 2 story house and running up and down the stairs to put LO down and get him up, especially in the first couple of weeks, would be very difficult.

• image provwife:
    What are you getting for your baby to sleep in once they are born? I hear bassinets are a waste so I was going to get a pack n play with the bassinet part and have her sleep in that...and actually I originally wanted the full size Arms Reach but BRU only has the mini..the ooriginal has to be ordered online. Which are you going with? Also she'll be in mine and Hubby's room EDIT: I wanted to add that we already have her regular size crib..is there a reason a newborn can't sleep in it? I rarely hear of parents using them for a newborn...why?

My LO slept in the crib from the start. It worked for us. 

imageimage Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We're planning on putting baby in his crib in his room once we bring him home from the hospital. Also many choose not to, for us it seems to be the best decision. (But it is also on a "plan" and could change). We live in a 1 level (ranch style) house and baby's room is just across (our narrow) hall from our room.
        Lilypie - (JeKz)
    J13 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Back To School
     Mr Sketch Smelly Markers    

Me:27 DH:39
    April 2012 DX: PCOS
    BFP 11/12/2012 EDD 07/21/2013 DS 07/23/2013
    Hoping for a little brother or sister since May 2014

• llsarmyllsarmy
    Tenth Anniversary
    My kids have always gone right into the crib in there room. 
    Ayden June 2008 Vaginal Birth-
    Ethan Aug. 2010 C-Section-
    Hoping for a VBAC

• EmR22EmR22
    250 Love Its 500 Comments Name Dropper First Answer
    We tried a bassinet for our 3rd in our room but that didn't last long. Every breath, snort, sound woke us up and no one slept. Our 4th will be in his crib in his room. He'll let us know when he's hungry. The one down side to bassinets are the weight limit. Some are only 12-15 pounds which depending on your kid could come in a few months, so I advise paying attention to that. You don't want to spend a ton for 2 months worth of use.
  • image llsarmy:
    My kids have always gone right into the crib in there room. 

Pretty close here too.  Once DH went back to work the girls went to the crib.  I like to have a little light while we're still figuring out the BF/latching thing and it woke DH too much.  And like PP said, babies are loud sleepers.  With DH on one side and DD on the other I was getting the noise in stereo.

Kept the bassinet in our room for my showers, putting away laundry, etc. instead of moving the bouncy seat through the house.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have the arms reach mini co-sleeper/side car.

I think I'll be a paranoid FTM always wanting to check on him plus all the research I read about room sharing reducing the risk of SIDs.

I'll be BFing and don't want to have to walk to another room to feed him plus we're tight on space right now in a one bedroom.

I'm excited to have my little peanut right next to me when I sleep!

photo 3weeks5blogsize_zps232aed6d.jpg photo 3weeks5d12blogsize_zps6ae02441.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Honestly, we aren't paying for any of the sleeping things we will be getting. One mother at my niece and nephew's school is giving me her crib, another gave me her bassinet and portable crib, and my parents have a hanging bassinet that we've always had around for when there were babies in the house (babysitting or otherwise) that has always worked wonders for fussy babies. Soooo Lol While we're at my parents for the first few weeks, the crib will be in the nursery, the hanging bassinet will be in our room, the portable crib will probably be staying at my in-laws, and I have no idea what to do with the other bassinet O.O
     J13 June Siggy Challenge

• I was wondering the same thing. I am planning to have our LO in his crib from the start, but was wondering if I was missing something as a FTM since very few people seem to do so. Glad to hear it's just a personal preference sort of thing.
    Anniversary

• We bought a pack and play, an arm's reach co-sleeper and a full size crib. I want the baby in our room simply to be in closer proximity when breastfeeding.
    Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our LO is going to use her regular crib in her room right next to our room. I don't want to start the habit of her getting use to sleeping with us. Plus, hubby gets up before 4 am T-Th for work and I don't want him waking her. We have a play yard to use when we travel and also my hubby's cradle from when he was a baby which will probably be her napping place in the living room. We have a video monitor for my peace of mind when she's snoozing in her crib.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We set up the PNP with basinett for DD but didn't even make it through the first night. She took a good nap in her crib the second day we were home and from that point on she slept in her crib at night. DD was on a pretty regular schedule after just a few nights - asleep around 10 pm then  feedings at 1 am and 4 am so it's not like I was up and down all night long. By 8 weeks she would sleep from 10 pm - 6 am in her crib. We do have a smallish 1-story house and with our door and DD's door open, I was probably only 10 steps away from her.

With the twins we are planning on putting them in cribs from the start.

6 year old daughter

Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

• image daniellelea1985:

I have the arms reach mini co-sleeper/side car.

I think I'll be a paranoid FTM always wanting to check on him plus all the research I read about room sharing reducing the risk of SIDs.

I'll be BFing and don't want to have to walk to another room to feed 

This. 

Married 07.07.12
    BFP #1 EDD 06.04.13
    Beta #1: 20,560 @ 20DPO, Beta #2: 37,945 @ 22DPO
    U/S #1: 4w6d - too early to see baby, U/S #2: 6w2d - we saw the heartbeat!
    *So thankful to God for blessing us with this miracle*

• We're using our PNP w/ bassinet feature in our room for the first couple of weeks. It's just so that we can keep LO closer to us at night for peace of mind/convenience.

We moved DS1 to his crib at 5 weeks. We'll probably do the same (or sooner) with this one.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS slept in our room in the bassinet portion of a travel pack n play. We'll do the same thing this time around. We never used the PNP for any other purpose once DS was in his own room. There isn't anything wrong with using a crib for a newborn, I just think that a lot of people have their babies in the room with them in the beginning.
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • h2babeh2babe
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am using the arms co sleeper at first and then crib for when he is a little oldet. I also have 2 PNP for the main floor and the basement.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker