Pregnant after a Loss

XP:VBAC question

Just a question, since the UO thread in my BMB put it in my head.  For any moms who have had/will try for a VBAC would you get an epidural?  I am hesitant to in case they have to do a c/s, since I was told by my OB they can't do a full spinal black after an epi is administered.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: XP:VBAC question

• :::Lurking:::

It would be my suggestion that you do get one, because if you do need to go to C-section you will likely be put under general and be asleep for the birth of your baby should it be emergent. If you already have an epidural in place, the anesthesiologist can just bolus it with medication so you will be comfortable for surgery.

Just my labor nurse two cents.Big Smile

• I thought they could do a c-section with an epi, they just up the dose some. Not sure though!

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Loading the player...
  • imageBootsOrHearts:

I thought they could do a c-section with an epi, they just up the dose some. Not sure though!

You're right Boots.

spinal = one big dose with no catheter left behind, when it's worn off it's gone

epi= a big dose, with a catheter in epidural space to provide meds for a longer period of time (labor). can be used for C-section anesthesia

• Depends how the VBAC is going.  I had a really fast labor with DD1 (vaginal) and even though I planned on an epi, there was no time.  If my labor is going that well I probably won't ask for one.

I don't have to have an epi.  I've heard it's a policy for some hospitals/Drs with VBACs.  I had a spinal with DD2's c-section.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks ladies!  I honestly thought that the epidural was different from the spinal block.  I honestly don't want to get the epidural because it took me forever to recover from the one I got when I had my cerclage put in, but if the pain is too intense I will probably opt for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I had a successful VBAC and my OB highly recommended an epidural. Reason being, if you end up needing an emergency C section, you would already be ready. Otherwise there would be a chance that they would have to put you under general anesthesia.

On another note, having had both a spinal and an epidural, I much preferred the epidural. Good luck with your VBAC! I am planning for my second, but have an umbilical cord issue, so I am extremely nervous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"