Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

convertible car seat?

Hey ladies,

I don't usually post on this board but I'm hoping to glean some wisdom from you all. My daughter will be a year old this month and she is getting to heavy and big for her infant seat and its time to move up.  

I've been looking for weeks at car seats and I just can't decide. I'm also pregnant and I'm wondering if its smarter to spend $150 - $200  on a convertible or if I should go cheap with a $50 - $100 non convertible that I can pass down to my next baby when the time comes.   

What are the pros and cons of the different options?

Re: convertible car seat?

• I'm a little confused.  I thought all of the seats for bigger infants/toddlers were convertibles.  You can get one for $40-$400 depending on what you want. They all have to meet certain requirements.  

With you LO being so young and another on the way, I doubt you'll be able to pass it down like an infant seat since they will both need to be in one at the same time next year. There are a lot of seats out there-I would get one with extended rear facing since it is safer to keep your little one rear facing as long as possible.  Evenflo & Safety 1st both have extended rear facing (up to 40 lbs) seats under $100.  They would be good options for you if you were needing to use more than 1 car (because switching them around is a PITA).

Otherwise if you were looking for one seat around $150-$200 I would look at the Graco My Ride, Safety 1st Complete Air 65, or Evenflo Symphony 65. All are good choices. I have the Safety 1st Complete Air 65 (but I drive a SUV) & it's been easy to use rear facing with DS as big & pregnant as I am now. :) I'd try them in you car & see what will be easiest to use for you.

FWIW, I'll have to get another one next year for DS2. :) I won't be able to pass it down.

I hope this helps you.

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • You don't necessarily have a choice on convertible vs non at this point.  You really need to get a seat that rear faces and then forward faces because your daughter should stay rear facing for as long as possible - until 2 at the recommendation of the AAP.  That seat will then face forward for a long time and when she's four (or older) you may have the option of switching her to a booster. 

As for which seat, the less expensive ones are just as safe but if it's your every day seat that she'll spend a lot of time in you might want to find one that has some cushioning, maybe a cup holder for when she's a little older - comfort features, basically. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • If she's too big for an infant seat, a convertible is the next step. I would get a good one that will last. We got the Britax that should last her until she's in a booster.
  • A tall convertible will last you many, many years. graco mysize/headwise/size4me, chicco nextfit and diono radian are highly recommended tall convertibles and range from 150 to 300 depending on sales. I just got the chicco nextfit for 225, and I highly recommend it.
  • A convertible is what is acceptable for babies this age. You can find one at any price range.

All convertible means is that you can use it both rear facing and forward facing- depending on weight/height of the child.

If you decide to go with a cheaper one Walmart sells the Cosco ones for $40 and they are rated well for safety. 

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• imageorangecurls:
    A tall convertible will last you many, many years. graco mysize/headwise/size4me, chicco nextfit and diono radian are highly recommended tall convertibles and range from 150 to 300 depending on sales. I just got the chicco nextfit for 225, and I highly recommend it.

This. These are great recs! 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"