Baby Showers

Out of State Shower

I have to take a two hr flight home for my shower my BFF is throwing me. But whenever we decide to pick a date, I'm not sure how far out/close to EDD I want it. My EDD is November 24.

The general rule I've seen so far is showers take place around week 36 but I don't want to fly that late. Would it be super weird to have one earlier?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                                       Anniversary                                                        

Re: Out of State Shower

• I don't see why you can't fly at 26 weeks?  I mean you could pick a date earlier if that works best for you but you just have to be careful flying more around the 36 week mark.

• My shower for my daughter was at 37 weeks (kinda late, but whatever). I have never heard of showers happening as early as 26 weeks, and definitely not that a 2 hour flight is not allowed at 26 weeks. My doctor allows flying/traveling until 36 weeks. Is that what you meant? I'm hoping that 26 weeks was a typo...

Yes, it would be super weird to have a shower before 26 weeks. In my experience, nobody does that.

April Siggy Challenge: Fools - Aug'13

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• 26 weeks is "late"?  You still have almost 4 months to go at that point!  36 weeks is late.  26 is not.

While there are sometimes reasons where I'd understand a shower that early, simply for the fact that you think it's "late" isn't one of them.  

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Yes! I meant 36 weeks. Oh I love touch screen phones. I'm more curious along the lines of when I should have one since the typical 30 to 36 weeks would be cutting it close

Anniversary                                                        
  • image flitterin:
    Yes! I meant 36 weeks. Oh I love touch screen phones. I'm more curious along the lines of when I should have one since the typical 3036 weeks would be cutting it close
    LOL!  Having one before 36 weeks is fine.  I'd aim for no earlier than 30 weeks - but that gives you a month and a 1/2 time frame to pick a date.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Between 30-36 weeks is pretty typical. I would aim to have it before 36 weeks because most doctors do not recommend travel more than 1 hour away after this point, especially by plane.

• My out of state shower, which requires a 6 hour drive, is going to be at 30 weeks. I didn't really want to spend 6 hours in a car each way at 34+ weeks pregnant!

It also worked out that that's Memorial Day weekend, so I have an extra day to drive and spend in town with my family, without missing work. My family also has several big events planned for June, so it was just easier to get it out of the way a little earlier.

• I had mine out of state at 32 weeks. 3 hour plane ride and everything was fine.
    I think 3035 weeks along would be fine to have a shower.

Mr. Baby's ticker

• image RibbitGrl930:
    Between 3036 weeks is pretty typical. I would aim to have it before 36 weeks because most doctors do not recommend travel more than 1 hour away after this point, especially by plane.

Some airlines will not let you travel as late 36 weeks. If you know which carrier you intend to fly on check their policy. United is way early, 32 weeks I believe. American is 36, Southwest let's you fly as late as 38 weeks. Go to the airline's website and find out their specific policy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image JNLLSM:
    I guess I suck, I am having one in three weeks and I will be 27 weeks. Why? I was going home already for my baby sister's graduation so my older sister said hey let's have your shower. I said ok cool beans.However, my inlawys will no tbe in town so I am flying back early July to have a shower with DH family. Both sides are huge so it is best to have a seperate shower. I think whenever is ok I am excited that people want to celebrate our LO.

You def don't suck. My first one was at 28 weeks, bc that's what worked for my IL's, who threw it. My family is throwing one too, I'll be 37 weeks then. Both were a little outside of the timeframe I would have preferred, but they're the hosts, so we went with what worked best for them.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine was at 28 weeks because that is what worked for my SIL who was throwing it. 

OP--I would say between 28-32 weeks would be ideal.  After 32-34 weeks things are not so comfortable and you'll be happier at home with your feet up on the couch...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm having to drive 15 hours to my hometown for my showers so mine are kind of early 2830 weeks depending on the shower date. I think it is whatever works for you and your hostess the best.
    Anniversary
  • image Aurora317:
    image RibbitGrl930:
    Between 3036 weeks is pretty typical. I would aim to have it before 36 weeks because most doctors do not recommend travel more than 1 hour away after this point, especially by plane.
    Some airlines will not let you travel as late 36 weeks. If you know which carrier you intend to fly on check their policy. United is way early, 32 weeks I believe. American is 36, Southwest let's you fly as late as 38 weeks. Go to the airline's website and find out their specific policy.

Also, some doctors don't want you going out of town after 36 weeks. And even some insurance companies, if you go "out of network" during the last month of your pregnancy, they won't cover the delivery.

• My out of town (actually across the country) shower was at 29 weeks last weekend. I recommend bringing a big empty suitcase to bring things back in!
  • I had my across the country shower at 33 weeks it was easy!  I had my mw give me a letter saying I was fine to fly, but it wasn't a problem.  
  • Ideal timef frame IMO would be between 32-34 weeks.  I've never heard of an airline not allowing a pg women to fly after 32 weeks (I probably would not fly that airline).  I flew at 36 weeks twice...once a 3 hour flight with a toddler in tow and another 2 hour flight with a layover and another 3 hours...again with a toddler.  I never even asked my OB and the airline didn't ask me anything. 

BTW...I have never heard of an insurance company not payng for delivery "just because you were out of state, etc".  Unless...the insurance is an HMO and you would be out of network for ANYTHING out of state (even a cold/flu).  I work in medical...particularly with insurances.

• NL105NL105
    250 Answers 500 Comments First Anniversary
    image rhubarb123:

Ideal timef frame IMO would be between 32-34 weeks.  I've never heard of an airline not allowing a pg women to fly after 32 weeks (I probably would not fly that airline).  I flew at 36 weeks twice...once a 3 hour flight with a toddler in tow and another 2 hour flight with a layover and another 3 hours...again with a toddler.  I never even asked my OB and the airline didn't ask me anything. 

BTW...I have never heard of an insurance company not payng for delivery "just because you were out of state, etc".  Unless...the insurance is an HMO and you would be out of network for ANYTHING out of state (even a cold/flu).  I work in medical...particularly with insurances.

If you're referring to the PP's comment, she did say "out of network", she didn't say "out of state", that insurance may not cover you.

• image NL105:
    image rhubarb123:

Ideal timef frame IMO would be between 32-34 weeks.  I've never heard of an airline not allowing a pg women to fly after 32 weeks (I probably would not fly that airline).  I flew at 36 weeks twice...once a 3 hour flight with a toddler in tow and another 2 hour flight with a layover and another 3 hours...again with a toddler.  I never even asked my OB and the airline didn't ask me anything. 

If you're referring to the PP's comment, she did say "out of network", she didn't say "out of state", that insurance may not cover you.

I've seen people on here talk about it. They were told by their insurance companies that if they left the area where their network was located - meaning the hospital that their doctor is affiliated with - during the last month of their pregnancy, that if they went into labor early and delivered at a non-network hospital, it would not be covered. I'm sure it's an HMO thing, and it may not be all, but it's at least something to be aware of. Some HMOs will look for any reason to screw you over.

• I think anything between 30-34 weeks is fine. 
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • image JNL$LSM:

I guess I suck, I am having one in three weeks and I will be 27 weeks. Why? I was going home already for my baby sister's graduation so my older sister said hey let's have your shower. I said ok cool beans.

However, my inlawys will no tbe in town so I am flying back early July to have a shower with DH family. Both sides are huge so it is best to have a seperate shower. I think whenever is ok I am excited that people want to celebrate our LO.

I don't think this sucks.  In a case where everyone will be traveling to town for another event, and it means all the relatives can attend both the graduation AND your shower, it's fine. 

Secondary English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 8th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 3rd grade
  • DH and I are driving to our family's out of state shower at 30 weeks. I just got back from flying out of state for a funeral And it was pretty uncomfortable already at 24 weeks. I would have had my shower a few weeks earlier but the date is just what worked best for my mom and sister who are hosting.
    We chose to drive because I can't imagine trying to bring back all the gifts on a plane or paying to ship them. If DH wasn't going with me I probably wouldn't make the 10 hour drive alone though.
    imageimageimage
    Married my best friend 8/31/03 ~ A decade of love & going strong.
    Welcomed our adorable little munchkin 8/24/13 ~ My heart has been forever changed.

A13 April Siggy Challenge ~ Only FOOLS Jump In!