May 2013 Moms

Does back labor equal contractions??

Though this is my second time, I thankfully didn't experiance back labor with my first. do they count as contractions?? Those of you who have had the back labor, is this something that will go on for a couple of days or a couple of weeks? I still have a little over 2 weeks...not that I would mind coming soon. Just wanted to get some feedback.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Does back labor equal contractions??

• I had back labor with my son and it didn't stop unti he was born.  Those contractions are just as effective, so call your Dr.  Good luck and prayers for a safe delivery.
  • I would definitely count back labor as contractions. A friend of mine only experienced back labor and that is how she knew it was time to go, and had her son 3 hours later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • A lady I worked with only had back labor. The hospital told her it wasn't time til they wrapped around the front, this was years ago, and she ended up having the baby on her bathroom floor because they never wrapped around.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecaden1206:
    I had back labor with my son and it didn't stop unti he was born.  Those contractions are just as effective, so call your Dr.  Good luck and prayers for a safe delivery.

this

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only had back labor when it was real contractions and I was in labor. They didn't stop until my daughter was born.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes.  Back labor equals contractions.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My mom only had back labor with my sisters. She didn't think it was real, but finally went in and got checked. She had twin girls in her arms less than an hour later!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• LN1024LN1024 member

imagedoribeth851:
    Yes, back labor equals real contractions. Just ask Lindsay ;)

Yes! It definitely counts. Ha, I had this same question and didn't realize that I was in labor. I made it to the hospital at 10 cm, because I denied that pain as contractions for so long.  

• LN1024LN1024 member

imageNJAZgirl:
    A lady I worked with only had back labor. The hospital told her it wasn't time til they wrapped around the front, this was years ago, and she ended up having the baby on her bathroom floor because they never wrapped around.

And this is exactly why I denied it. They didn't wrap around to my front. Good luck OP! 

• I had back labor and never felt contractions in the front or sides. I had contractions for all of 3 hours before I went to the hospital... I'd dilated 6 cm in that time. My baby was posterior, which caused the back labor in my case.
  • Where they consistant (like every 5/10 min) or sparatic? how bad where they...could stand up or had to sit/lay down?
  • LN1024LN1024 member

imageBettyH:
    Where they consistant (like every 5/10 min) or sparatic? how bad where they...could stand up or had to sit/lay down?

Mine were "timeable" and consistent. I woke up at 5:00 in the morning and I think they started out about four and a half minutes a part. I didn't start timing them, because I didn't think they were contractions. My husband noticed their pattern and started timing, and realized that they became closer together.

I had to change positions often. I initially got in the bath tub, tried my exercise ball, and eventually need to bend over and have my husband rub my back because it hurt so bad (looking back on it, I can't believe I did not realize I was in labor!).

I had no other signs leading up to labor before the back "pain" contractions started, which I think also made me think I was not in labor (no loss of mucus plug, no far apart contractions that I noticed prior to the ones at four and a half minutes.).

I hope this helps! Keep us updated.

• It does help a lot...thanks so much!
  • imagelindsay.n.harman:

imageBettyH:
    Where they consistant (like every 5/10 min) or sparatic? how bad where they...could stand up or had to sit/lay down?

Mine were "timeable" and consistent. I woke up at 5:00 in the morning and I think they started out about four and a half minutes a part. I didn't start timing them, because I didn't think they were contractions. My husband noticed their pattern and started timing, and realized that they became closer together.

I had to change positions often. I initially got in the bath tub, tried my exercise ball, and eventually need to bend over and have my husband rub my back because it hurt so bad (looking back on it, I can't believe I did not realize I was in labor!).

I had no other signs leading up to labor before the back "pain" contractions started, which I think also made me think I was not in labor (no loss of mucus plug, no far apart contractions that I noticed prior to the ones at four and a half minutes.).

This helps so much! Thank you for posting this and thank you OP for asking!  

Did you (or any mom who had back labor) have back pain for a week or few weeks before labor officially started? Sort of like BH in the back? I have been having period-like cramps as well as some back pain. (Not just general achy back pain)

Just curious!

Me: 32
    DH: 35
    DD #1: 6/1/2013
    EDD #2: 6/7/2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• LN1024LN1024 member
    imageAimeeSue02:
    imagelindsay.n.harman:

imageBettyH:

This helps so much! Thank you for posting this and thank you OP for asking!  

Did you (or any mom who had back labor) have back pain for a week or few weeks before labor officially started? Sort of like BH in the back? I have been having period-like cramps as well as some back pain. (Not just general achy back pain)

Just curious!

I had horrible back pain that started around 30 weeks. No amount of heating pads or baths would comfort it. It wasn't just general pain, but was targeted in my lower back area.

I'm glad my answer helped a little.  

• I had horrible back pain that started around 30 weeks. No amount of heating pads or baths would comfort it. It wasn't just general pain, but was targeted in my lower back area.

I'm glad my answer helped a little.  

Helps a lot, my back pain just started at the beginning of my 36th week. I wonder if that means she's posterior as well. I just had never heard of back labor type pain happening before "actual" labor. The idea of having this pain for 3 more weeks makes me want to cry! You're amazing for having it since 30 weeks - ouch!

Congrats on your adorable little one and getting that med-free birth!  

Me: 32
    DH: 35
    DD #1: 6/1/2013
    EDD #2: 6/7/2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"