Attachment Parenting

XP: What are your Can't-Live-Withouts?

DH and I are expecting in Nov. (and ultrasound in 2 days... yay!), and because we live in India - and all our family in the US and Canada - we're doing a lot of our legwork and research to find out what stuff we will really want and need shipped, versus what we can do/get here. My MIL will be coming out in Dec. or Jan., and I know I can ask her to bring some things out with her, but I'm wondering - what are your can't-live-withouts for the first 3 months, that you've found?

(Aside from things like 'clothing', 'diapers', 'bottles/breast pump', 'place to sleep' and some of that really obvious basic stuff).

~Living in rural India since 2010.~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image
Lilypie - (3FP9)

Re: XP: What are your Can't-Live-Withouts?

• The basic stuff you mentioned and a good carrier. I really liked my moby early on to allow the baby maximum snuggle time while doing other things. The only things we really couldnt live without outside of the basics are Sophie the giraffe and the activity mat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Basics, a good carrier I preferred a sling and a white noise machine. It doesn't need to be one of the fancy ones, I used "baby white noise" on my phone.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • - Arms Reach CoSleeper

- Ergo

- Sophie the Giraffe

- Nuk pacifiers

- Taggies bear blanket

"I will love the light because it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness, for it shows me the stars." (Og Mandino) Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I agree with the carrier - that and the Glider were my most used items.

But I think both of those you would be able to get in India.  It's my understanding that many Indian women babywear in some fashion, and I would probably go local on this one. 

And as far as a glider, I wouldn't pay to have something shipped there.  I'd just pick up a really comfortable chair, which I would also imagine you could find there. 

June '15 Dec Siggy Challenge.  Awkward Family Holiday Pics

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • carrier (we use a woven wrap and a ring sling) and a swing. Both my children have napped in the swing (DD until 9 months and DS is going strong) as they wanted to be in constant motion and it's not always possible.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Aside from what's been mentioned I can't do without traditional cloth nappies, for burping, wiping, shading etc 

Also wraps to swaddle baby in.

Pacifiers 

Elizabeth 3yrs old Jane 1yr old

• image blu-eyedwife:

I agree with the carrier - that and the Glider were my most used items.

But I think both of those you would be able to get in India.  It's my understanding that many Indian women babywear in some fashion, and I would probably go local on this one. 

And as far as a glider, I wouldn't pay to have something shipped there.  I'd just pick up a really comfortable chair, which I would also imagine you could find there. 

Fun fact: I've lived here 3 years and I've seen women and men *carry* their baby - but never wear them. It may happen in villages (and I know there are a few sari drapes with which you can theoretically carry a baby) but carriers like Beco, Ergo, etc... well, Ergo's an office supply company. ;) I can probably make something up with spare/secondhand sari, but I've never seen actual wearing, or carriers that weren't worn by Westerners and imported.

Rocking chairs, etc. are also not common here - wood is phenomenally expensive. A basic crib costs anywhere from $200-500+; that's the local equivalent of $2,000 - $5,000. A comfy chair, that I can manage. Or a pillow nest on a spare bed, which we have.

Also, posters - thanks. Your must-haves are much more reasonable than in the XP I did and responses I got there - I'm sure there's some kind of study to be done. ;) 

~Living in rural India since 2010.~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image
    Lilypie - (3FP9)

• A good carrier. We prefer ring slings or woven wraps.
    Pacifiers.
    Sophie the giraffe.
    A rattle.
    Colic Calm

Visit The Nest!
  • - Moby (or maybe a light weight woven like a Vat, given weather) and a Ring Sling

- Swing (seriously would have lost my marbles without it)

- A good glider/rocker-recliner

- Gripe Water (seriously the stuff was a God send in our house)

- Aden and Anais Swaddle blankets - especially in a hot climate they are awesome light weight swaddle blankets that are also great for throwing over the stroller or whatever to keep the sun off the baby.

• Carriers. Moby for when we were going to be out and about a lot or active hiking, etc and a pocket sling for quick in and out shopping or quick need around the house.
    Wubbanub. It's a soothie pacifier the NICUtype green pacifiers with a little stuffed toy attached. Nearly impossible to lose and baby can easily find and pick up.
    Glider/rocker
    Swaddler a. Our favs were Miracle Blanket and Halo sleep sacks with Velcro swaddle wraps.
  • I agree with pretty much everything PP have covered.  My DS also LOVED his playmat. It's a bright start brand from Target and one of the more basic ones but he loved to lay and squirm on his back and flip over (eventually) and look at everything for about 15-20 minutes. Now that's he's bigger we took the over hangs off and just use it as "blanket" in the grass or inside on the hardwood.
    5 failed clomid/femara cycles led to injects and IUI = BFP December 2011! Enjoying life with Owen Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with all the pp's that your list is good but would add a wrap or sling.

We co slept and I EBF so we needed almost nothing besides diapers and swaddle blankets the first few months except there was one gadget that I couldn't live without....

A YOGA BALL!!!!!

Seriously, after the initial couple of weeks my daughter needed to be bounced all the time and nothing would settle her like me sitting on the yoga ball holding her. Someone got me one for my shower and I thought it was silly but it really helped the first few months.

Good luck and congratulations. You have a wonderful journey ahead of you. I couldn't even imagine how much fun it is.
  • A good carrier/sling/wrap.

Sleepsacks (with and without arm swaddle tabs)

Moses basket- you can put it anywhere in your house and it is a comfy spot for baby to sleep. I loved mine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I second a carrier and the Aden+Anais muslin blankets.  The blankets are awesome especially when in warm weather.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards