May 2013 Moms

Boy do I have a story to tell (long)

Yesterday at our routine appointment, my BP was high and protein in my urine so we were immediately sent to L&D for monitoring and to begin a 24 hour urine catch.  Today, we had our follow up at L&D and brought the urine back in to be tested. 

After about an hour of monitoring, the triage nurse came in and said she had the results and I had preeclampsia.  Protein levels in urine are considered abnormal if they are above 600 and mine were 3600.  They told me I would not be leaving until the baby was born and would have to be induced.  (As a side note, we are seeking an intervention-free, med-free birth so we were devastated about an induction). 

I got to my room and my midwife came in to talk to me about the options and I cried with her, mourning the loss of my dream birth.  Eventually, I came to terms with it and knew that an induction was the best thing for my little girl.  I was started on prostoglandin gel and received my first dose and immediately started having intense period-like cramping.

About an hour later, my midwife came back in and said she had good news and bad news - the triage nurse read my urine labs wrong.  Instead of my protein levels being at 3600, the volume of urine was 3600.  Protein was only 10.  Good news - I don't have preeclampsia.  Bad news - I was just started on an unnecessary induction.

I am still contracting but they are not very painful and I was sent home with a big "sorry" from everyone.  I can't believe the rollercoaster of emotions I have been on today!!

BFP #1 – 4/14/12 – Ectopic Pregnancy – MTX 5/11/12

BFP #2 – 9/2/12 – Our sweet rainbow DD born 5/23/13

BFP#3 – 1/5/14 – EDD 9/12/14 – natural m/c 2/16/14image

Re: Boy do I have a story to tell (long)

• delinodelino
    5000 Comments 100 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Holy crap! Are you f'n kidding me?!?! I'm so sorry you were put through that. Livid would not begin to describe how I would feel.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You lost me at "mourning the loss of my dream birth."  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image delino:
    Holy crap! Are you f'n kidding me?!?! I'm so sorry you were put through that. Livid would not begin to describe how I would feel.

I think I'm still in the dumbfounded stage.  Livid will probably come soon once it has sunk in a bit more.

• I am so sorry you had to go through that.  That to me is inexcusable! 
  • That is a crazy story!! How soon is your actual due date?

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• Eek! I would be making sure some heads roll. That is crazy!
  • image Beachy730:
    You lost me at "mourning the loss of my dream birth."  

Then I'll sum it up for you so you don't have to read the rest - I was unnecessarily induced today because of a nurse's mistake.

• nola78nola78
    5000 Comments 25 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    Wow. That triage nurse seriously screwed up. I'm glad you didn't end up having pree. Sorry for the scare, though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 1/10/12; EDD: 9/20/12, born too early on 5/7/12 (20w4d) due to IC/PTL/chorioamnionitis.
    BFP #2: 8/30/12; EDD: 5/9/13, emergency cerclage placed at 22w5d, dx cardiomyopathy, strict bed rest for 14 weeks. DD born at 39 weeks.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    All ALs always welcome
  • Whoa. That is crazy. I would be incredibly angry. How irresponsible of them. Could you imagine if it were the other way around? That could have deadly consequences.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | no heartbeat 11/7/11 at 8w3d (baby measuring ~7 weeks)
    D&C 11/14/11 - Goodbye, little June Bug

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | Good betas 8/22 & 8/25 | strong heartbeat 9/17/12 @7w1d
    Perfect A/S 12/11/12 @ 19w2d - it's a BOY!

Theodore Claude born 5/9/13. 8 lbs. 4 oz., 20 inches long.

• image MrsMMalone:
    That is a crazy story!! How soon is your actual due date?

I'm due May 17

• kmcd23kmcd23
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Combo Breaker
    That is crazy! I am so sorry you had to go through that, and I hope you get your ideal birth scenario in the end. 
  • krwactkrwact
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper

Oh goodness, what a day!  I'm so glad for the happier outcome!

FWIW (should you face a change in plans in the future), when my water broke but hadn't started contracting, they had to give me a drug to get my cervix to ripen and they had intended to use pitocin to start labor but it was never needed.  I quickly progressed (med-free) to 10 cm and was happy to be able to stay as intervention-free as possible.  Initially I was disappointed in having to be induced but it helped a lot when my labor nurse reminded me that I wasn't being induced, my dilation was being enhanced.  Sometimes it's all in how we perceive it.

Keep us posted.  I'll be eager to hear if the contractions resolve on their own. 

Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I would be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed!  Glad it wasn't an emergency, though, and maybe you can still get your dream birth!  
    Congrats to my buddies Shazzie and Madeline10L on their little ladies!
  • AlbahAlbah
    Ninth Anniversary 2500 Comments 25 Love Its Combo Breaker
    OMG, that's crazy!! Hope you get your dream birth now that you get to start from scratch! 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• image krwact:

Oh goodness, what a day!  I'm so glad for the happier outcome!

FWIW (should you face a change in plans in the future), when my water broke but hadn't started contracting, they had to give me a drug to get my cervix to ripen and they had intended to use pitocin to start labor but it was never needed.  I quickly progressed (med-free) to 10 cm and was happy to be able to stay as intervention-free as possible.  Initially I was disappointed in having to be induced but it helped a lot when my labor nurse reminded me that I wasn't being induced, my dilation was being enhanced.  Sometimes it's all in how we perceive it.

Keep us posted.  I'll be eager to hear if the contractions resolve on their own. 

Thanks so much, krwact!  Obviously I would have done whatever I needed to to have her safely delivered if I did in fact have pre-e. Nevertheless, a med-free birth means a lot to me and has for years (and even more so since our first pregnancy was ectopic). 

• Holy crap!!! That's awful! I am sorry that happened but at least they caught it l before it was too late.

• Wow, that is crazy. Glad you don't have pre-e and you and baby are both healthy, though. What a rough day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh my, that is awful, sorry you just went through that.  I completely understand where you are coming from when you were trying to get over the ideal scenario, but now you have a shot!  Remember you are your best advocate, so try to make it to May 17th(it's an awesome birthday)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Good grief! I'm glad to hear you don't have preeclampsia but sorry for the rush of emotions you went through!

~August PAL Siggy Challenge: If Babies Could Talk~

DS born 3/12/09.

BFP #2 - 5/9/11. EDD 1/7/12. MMC 6/6/11. BFP #3 - 1/24/12. EDD 10/6/12. MC 2/14/12.

BFP #4 - 8/30/12. EDD 5/11/13. Our rainbow arrived a month early - 4/11/13. 

image image

For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him. 1 Samuel 1:27

• ALP514ALP514
    500 Love Its 500 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    That is insane. I know its possible to misread something but when it is regarding the health of mother and baby shouldnt it be looked over to make sure!? I would be livid. I find out my results tomorrow and can not imagine how you must feel. Atleast you dont have pre-e which is great news!!

• I'm so sorry you had to deal with this today Anna! Fortunately your baby girl will be here soon. Thinking of you!
  • Boo0512Boo0512
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Third Anniversary Name Dropper

Wow, that is unbelievable! Sorry that you had to deal with that mess, I would be so pissed.

• That is terrible. 

Hope things work out for you, that is really a shame that happened. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image janapettus:
    image Beachy730:
    You lost me at "mourning the loss of my dream birth." nbsp;
    This. I will add that your hospital or birthing center is shitastic.

Yeah thanks

• image janapettus:
    image Beachy730:

Just because one person makes a mistake doesn't mean her whole hospital is crappy.  The mistake should not have been made, but this is a huge overgeneralization.  

Congrats to my buddies Shazzie and Madeline10L on their little ladies!
  • image janapettus:
    image botanicalbliss:

image janapettus:
    image Beachy730:

Just because one person makes a mistake doesn't mean her whole hospital is crappy.  The mistake should not have been made, but this is a huge overgeneralization.  

All I know is I would be rethinking my practice choice after that one.

If it's a nurse in the hospital it really wouldn't have anything to do with the practice.  

I would absolutely want to know that something happened to that nurse though.  And I would be getting a second opinion on all major decisions they told me after that. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm glad you don't have pre-e, and you get a chance to have your med-free birth. Do you know if you're more likely to birth early now? (is that a stupid question?) Best of luck to you!
    "A little proofreading goes along weigh." - Me, 2014

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image Beachy730:
    image janapettus:
    image botanicalbliss:

image janapettus:
    image Beachy730:

All I know is I would be rethinking my practice choice after that one.

If it's a nurse in the hospital it really wouldn't have anything to do with the practice.  

I would absolutely want to know that something happened to that nurse though.  And I would be getting a second opinion on all major decisions they told me after that. 

We will be doing all of this.  We also got documentation of the mistake.