July 2013 Moms

Anemia and iron supplements

I found out yesterday that I am anemic. I'm actually not too surprised, people have thought I was anemic for years but my test results always come back within normal range. I'm actually a little relieved to learn that the exhaustion I have been experiencing this pregnancy can be attributed to anemia and not my AMA! lol!

I have begun taking a slow release iron sup (Feosol) and I added a stool softener. DS1 has no school for the next 3 days. I am hoping that the sups will help get rid of my exhaustion by next Monday morning. If you have taking sups for anemia did you find they improved your energy level? And if so how long did it take?

DH was a little too gleeful with my diagnosis, he thinks we can steak it up for the next 3 months now. Confused

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Anemia and iron supplements

• imageAudrey1787:
    I took the regular kind (not slow release) for 4 weeks and hardly had any improvements and I've switched to liquid floradix now (which is way more expensive Sad). I have another blood test in 2 weeks. My mom has had issues with being anemic and she said within a few days of starting to take slow release iron supplements she notices a big difference. We have steak in the fridge right now lol. But lots of red meat and extra iron supplements... talk about some constipation coming on!

Oh no! I hope the new stuff creates some improvement for you, hopefully that will make it worth the extra cost. 

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I'm on Palafer CF, but I'm not sure if they're slow release. I felt relief from exhaustion probably within a week. Seriously, you don't know how crappy you feel until you start feeling better. :

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • KKinATXKKinATX member
    I was diagnosed with anemia in both pregnancies, and both times I didn't really feel any symptoms.  I guess I was tired but I just chalked it up to normal pregnancy symptoms.  I'm on a prescription iron supplement now and have been for about 10 days.  I can't say I really feel any different!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Big brother James 6-19-11  ****  Little sister Lillianna 6-26-13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had noticeably more energy within just a few days. I've been taking 325 mg Ferrous Sulfate (OTC).
    FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • Your blood work should show a response in as little as 2-3 weeks, but it may take months to restore to normal levels.  

I am anemic now and was slightly anemic with my last pregnancy and then became severely anemic after an emergency c-section for placental abruption.  I took a higher load of OTC iron supplements post surgery per doctors orders and within 1.5 months, my blood levels were in the normal range again.   

• Roets01Roets01 member
    I noticed more energy within 24 hours.  I've felt great ever since.  Good Luck
    Baby Slings at Nurtured Family BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've always been anemic and have always taken an iron supplement. Got a call today though that I need to up my iron intake. Now I have to take 2 iron pulls everyday. Hope it doesn't cause any issues! I'm not sure but I do hope the extra iron will give me some of my energy back:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"