October 2011 Moms

Chores

LO likes to help and has kind of taken certain chores upon himself to help with. Obviously he isn't completely helpful with everything he tries to do, but he sure tries. He helps let the dogs out and in, carries the recycling items to the bin, takes dirty dishes to the sink, wipes up stuff, etc. He isn't yet required to do anything in particular, but I like to encourage his wanting to help. What stuff does your LO help with that he or she are actually capable of doing at least a halfway decent job at [at least not causing more work than they are helping like when he helps with laundry and ends up unfolding half the clothes]?

Re: Chores

• DD loves to do "more dishes" which is what she calls standing at the sink and doing the dishes. Mostly she just fills up cups with water and dumps them out though, so she isn't really washing the dishes.

She is fairly good at wiping stuff down though!  I can give her a rag and she will go around and wipe off surfaces. She can also bring her dirty laundry to the hamper.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DS likes to take a rag and "dust" the floors and furniture. He obviously doesn't do a good job, but he has fun doing it. He likes to press the button to turn the vacuum on for me. He also will put his dirty clothes in his hamper after we change him into pajamas every night. 
  • Levi vacuums the living room and although it's not perfect, my vacuumings not much better lol.

BFP#1 12/20/2005 DS1 08/12/2006
    BFP#2 03/24/2009 Natural M/C 11 wks 05/14/2009
    BFP#3 2/5/2011 ds2 10/12/2011
    BFP#4 4/30/2012 Fetal Demise 16 wks 07/19/2012
    BFP#5 10/19/2012 Chemical PG

"To love is to live" image
  • AA0417AA0417
    250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Love Its
    image colleenb262:
    DD loves to do "more dishes" which is what she calls standing at the sink and doing the dishes. Mostly she just fills up cups with water and dumps them out though, so she isn't really washing the dishes.

LO does dishes like that too. I have to strip him down though because at some point, he usually ends up soaking himself.
  • jwls84jwls84
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    B is a super helpful guy! He loves to put the groceries away, empty the dishwasher, loves to throw anything in the garbage and picks up his toys before bed!
    He has taken on a few unhelpful chores however, like tearing through a pile of freshly folded laundry and collecting the mail only to drop and spread it through the play area!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • ally510ally510
    250 Love Its 500 Comments Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    I give P a baby wipe and she dusts the baseboard molding with me. She loves when I vacuum, but she doesn't help with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you take the middle part out of the Swiffer its perfect kid height. Lo helps clean the floors but that's pretty much t. E and MH do most of the chores and I'm a get out of my way cleaner lol. By 2 though E fed the dog, helped load and unload the dishwasher, dusted, cleaned floors, toilets and baseboards and at my parents let the dogs in and out. I need to start getting Lo to help do more than just clean up after herself but my patience has been short lately.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do
    Life's been good to me so far
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    GL to my twinkie Loveypants and my labor buddy Dlast!
  • mamaZbomamaZbo
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Love Its
    DD is not really that much help. She will pick up stuff off the ground and throw it in the trash, but if she runs out of trash other things start getting thrown in. She will wipe stuff up off the floor, and will help feed the cats, but that is a big mess with kitty cookies everywhere usually and her chasing the cat around with pieces trying to "feed" him. She follows directions pretty well and will retrieve things and put things where you tell her to, but she was no help yesterday when I was on the pot without any TP. I tried to get her to open the linen closet and get a roll, but she got distracted by the Q-tips.

• This post makes me feel like a lazy mother and housekeeper.
    Richard Simmons gif
  • image Richard Slap:
    This post makes me feel like a lazy mother and housekeeper.

Totally 

and

having my kids do chores is almost more work than doing them myself.

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • image pennysuedog:

image Richard Slap:

Totally 

and

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • C throws his own diapers away, helps me empty the dishwasher, wipes up his spills with a paper towel, he loves to use the Shark on the wood floor, he'll throw anything away that I ask him to.  He also helps me unload the washer and dryer.  He's a really great little helper :-)  I'm actually surprised at how well he listens to and follows directions.  We should enjoy it while it lasts, ladies.  I'm sure it will all go to hell when they are teenagers

ETA:  Forgot to add that he helps clean up his toys before nap and before bedtime.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DS really likes to help unload the dishwasher and he is pretty good about cleaning up toys. I always make sure I get any sharp objects out before he can help. He likes to help sweep but ends up making a bigger mess. He also likes to help with laundry such as putting clothes in the washer or dryer and turning the knobs or pushing the buttons all under my direction of course. He will also help wipe down his side of the table after dinner.
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm afraid Maddie hasn't been able to witness much of this cleaning behavior you all speak of in order to have someone to model it from. You're supposed to clean baseboards? However she loves to throw away garbage and her diapers, put stuff in the recycle bin (and dump out the entire bin and carry around empty milk cartons), she likes to wipe down her tray after eating, and she loves to close the dishwasher (usually when DH is the midst of loading it). She really loves to be a little helper and I'm enjoying this phase.
    Lilypie - (xycP) Lilypie - (PwPQ)
  • AA0417AA0417
    250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Love Its
    image Richard Slap:

Ha! You haven't actually seen my house. LO doesn't let me do much if he can't help, and it is usually much easier to just play with him than struggle for an hour to fold the same clothes half a dozen times, so I am definitely not on top of everything.
  • LBB helps unload the dishwasher.  And he'll wipe up spills on the floor with a dish towel.  Of course, the spills are from when he takes a cup and pours it on the floor, so it's not exactly like he's helping the situation.
  • Gator liked to get the dog food and treats. But now we don't have a dog anymore.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image WineBaby22:
    image cantalopes24:
    If you take the middle part out of the Swiffer its perfect kid height. Lo helps clean the floors but that's pretty much t. E and MH do most of the chores and I'm a get out of my way cleaner lol. By 2 though E fed the dog, helped load and unload the dishwasher, dusted, cleaned floors, toilets and baseboards and at my parents let the dogs in and out. I need to start getting Lo to help do more than just clean up after herself but my patience has been short lately.

You let your 2yo clean toilets? ::shudder::

My child is clearly a jerk, as he does nothing to help out around the house.

Lol yes. I use vinegar so I just poured it in and he swished it around. Still does it only now he can work the spray bottle himself, it's one of the chores he chooses to do along with keeping the floors clean and the sinks and tubs. He's a neatfreak. Kids in diapers sit in their pee and poop but cleaning a toilet is gross? It's not like he was on his hands and knees with a toothbrush in a public restroom. I'm sorry your toilets make you shudder?
  • He wasn't cleaning the toilet with his hand... I've never gotten myself wet when cleaning a toilet. I no longer supervise him cleaning but when I did he never got himself wet either. We both wash our hands after cleaning.
  • We shortened the sniffer and he sniffers. He helps empty the dishwasher, and actually is helpful. He likes wiping things and brings stuff to DH for me.
    He also helps changing his brother, by handing me wipes and the new diaper. And he carries the diapers to the garbage.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ok, let's be real ladies....any "cleaning up" that my children do requires me to clean up right after them.  And if you have to teach your 2 year old how to clean your toilets you are seriously lazy. And it is just gross...I don't even let my kids near the bathrooms while I am cleaning them. 
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • image pennysuedog:

image Richard Slap:

Totally 

and

Yup.

July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• image jonnygurl76:
    Ok, let's be real ladies....any "cleaning up" that my children do requires me to clean up right after them. nbsp;And if you have to teach your 2 year old how to clean your toilets you are seriously lazy. And it is just gross...I don't even let my kids near the bathrooms while I am cleaning them.nbsp;

Lol you caught me! I'm so lazy I can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds swishing out a toilet so I force my kid to do it.

Seriously for one in our house if the toilet looks nasty when you're done it gets cleaned right away so its not like he was scrubbing anything nasty. I don't use chemicals so I'm not worried about that. He would follow us around while we cleaned wanting to participate, why would I discourage that? He's a little Danny Tanner. He had me buy him a stick vacuum because he couldn't carry our regular vacuum up and down the stairs and he vacuums his bedroom and other areas of the house several times a week unprompted. He asked for a lint roller for Christmas. Lo doesn't do those things so I don't really have her do anything. Was it always perfect and I never had to go behind him? Of course not. Would have been easier to do it myself? Of course and that's my attitude about certain areas of household maintenance but again why would I discourage him from wanting to help around the house? I still check after he's done certain things and as a mom I probably always will but I'm not going to stop him from cleaning.
  • DD! will put clothes in the hamper (sometimes), put things in the trash, and "sweep."  Her sweeping is not effective.  She'll also help load the dishwasher. 
  • I am laughing at the arguing over the toilet cleaning. I wouldn't let E clean it because I use clorox on it, but she touches the toilet all the time. She likes to flush it and in squeezing beside it to reach the handle, she puts her hands all over it. So I just keep it clean as best as I can.

E puts the dog bowls away after they eat. She also gets out a new trash bag for me when I take out the trash. She loves to wipe things so I let her help dust.  She's pretty good about putting her toys back in the containers they belong in. You just have to catch her at the right time or she'll dump it right back out. 

This past week she's really wanted to participate more in bringing in and putting away the groceries. So I gave her a few things in a bag to put on a low shelf in the pantry. 

• My kid likes to put dirty clothes in the dryer while I'm trying to empty it.  That's about as "helpful" as he gets.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image Richard Slap:

This.  Right now DD is throwing a crapload of toys in the dog's crate.  There's definitely no cleaner's helper here. 

• G loves to unload the dishwasher which means he just tries to take out the dirty dishes as soon as I put them in. Right now his biggest "task" is helping me sort through clean laundry. I'll ask him to find me all the socks and put them in a pile. Usually all of the clothes end up on the floor, but he loves it so I always ask for his "help". 

I'm totally going to have him start to help me clean the floors though. A rag and some water and he'd probably be in heaven. Good idea, ladies!

• ::laughs at the idea of an 18-month old helping with chores, realizes you ladies aren't kidding, feels shame at my broken toddler and backs out of thread::