Working Moms

Settle a debate for me re: bathtime

I realize this may be a cultural thing or something, but I was seriously astounded when friends of mine on twitter told me they only give their kids a bath like once a week or twice a week MAYBE more during the summer.  I get that kids may not get that dirty but it never once crossed my mind to NOT bathe my kids every night.  When the girls were super tiny babies we even did like every other night, but after a few months they got baths every night.  

Anyway. 

Baths every night? yes or no?

Also yes I get that kids w/skin sensitivity issues may need less baths.  I'm talking about normal kids w/no skin issues.  

"Babies, Ballet & The Law"
My 2 girls- Jan 2012
South Mountain, Arizona- 2014
Montezuma Ruins, Arizona- 2014
Grand Canyon 2014

Re: Settle a debate for me re: bathtime

• When they were TINY they probably got a bath once a week. But we bathe the kids 3 times a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) during the winter, and every day in the summer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • We don't do baths every night - 2-3x a week. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have kids with normal skin and we do baths every three days or so. If they get dirty playing outside, we hose down or do a foot bath in the sink, but they almost never have baths two days in a row.

When DD was a baby, we gave her a bath every night as part of her routine, but that quickly went out the door when I went back to work and things got more busy. 

Granted, I only shower myself every other day and think it's excessive to shower every day. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jlaOKjlaOK
    1000 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    When DS was a newborn we would bathe him every 3 days or so.  As he got older we bathed him every other day until he was old enough to do outside recess every day.  We now bathe him every day.  On the rare occasion that we can't bathe him at night (usually on the weekends) he'll take a shower with DH in the morning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• We do every other night, maybe every night if it was a particularly messy day.  Non bath days we do use a washcloth to get the important areas.
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My kids gets baths every night and have since they were tiny. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • image jlaOK:
    When DS was a newborn we would bathe him every 3 days or so.  As he got older we bathed him every other day until he was old enough to do outside recess every day.  We now bathe him every day.  On the rare occasion that we can't bathe him at night (usually on the weekends) he'll take a shower with DH in the morning.

This was pretty much what we did too.  Now that my DS is older he showers on his own, but it is still a daily occurrence.  We rarely skip a day.  Now that he plays sports he gets stinky if he doesn't get a shower.

ETA: DS has seasonal allergies and his allergist said he should shower every night to wash off the pollen, etc. so he gets his shower at night before bed.

• We bathe most every night. She gets filthy playing in the yard, sandbox, etc and food still ends up in her hair on a not irregular basis. I know some people bathe less in the winter, too, since kids are in less, but we live in Florida. Some nights we don't use soap to give her skin a break, though, and I only wash her hair if there is food in it, which works out to every 2 or 3 days.
  • image christinak22:

I have kids with normal skin and we do baths every three days or so. If they get dirty playing outside, we hose down or do a foot bath in the sink, but they almost never have baths two days in a row.

When DD was a baby, we gave her a bath every night as part of her routine, but that quickly went out the door when I went back to work and things got more busy. 

Granted, I only shower myself every other day and think it's excessive to shower every day. 

Sorry but I absolutely have to shower every morning.  It's not excessive at all for adults to shower every day! (maybe kids) but you should smell me by the end of the day!  

My 2 girls- Jan 2012
    Grand Canyon 2014
  • AZ123AZ123
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Love Its
    Almost every night but we do skip one here or there depending on how much time we have in the evening. i think it is good for them to have bathes and it is part of their evening wind down routine and nice playtime for the kids together.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Netty_3Netty_3
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Love Its
    We do every other night.  Sometimes there may be two night's in between.  He doesn't have skin issues, I just don't want to dry him out.  He's not smelly, I typically run a wash cloth over if it's more than one night off. I figure he's fine until he's a bit older.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • image mexicolombiana:
    image christinak22:

I have kids with normal skin and we do baths every three days or so. If they get dirty playing outside, we hose down or do a foot bath in the sink, but they almost never have baths two days in a row.

Sorry but I absolutely have to shower every morning.  It's not excessive at all for adults to shower every day! (maybe kids) but you should smell me by the end of the day!  

You will pry my daily shower out of my cold dead hands, especially in July and August. Ugh.
  • We aim for 3 times a week.  True baths are just way too time consuming.  DS will play forever.  I don't have time for that every night. 

But now that warmer weather is here, we're going to do what we did last year which are "summer baths" - which is really more of a shower and a quick in and out to get clean.  Not really full on play time. He'll still get that every couple days, but inbetween, we do the quick version.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• image LibraryChica:
    image mexicolombiana:
    image christinak22:

You will pry my daily shower out of my cold dead hands, especially in July and August. Ugh.

I totally understand I'm in the minority and hope you guys don't think I'm gross! I definitely shower before I start to smell--don't worry. 

• thedashthedash
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    Once per week seems kinda low. We usually do about 3 times per week unless he looks dirty to me! At some point I did a bath every night in an attempt to establish it as part of his bedtime routine. It never really worked for us though. He sees it more as play time instead of relaxing and it just takes too long to do every day.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • image AZ123:
    Almost every night but we do skip one here or there depending on how much time we have in the evening. i think it is good for them to have bathes and it is part of their evening wind down routine and nice playtime for the kids together.
    This is us exactly. We aim to keep the evening bath in the bedtime routine, but if time just does not permit then skipping one is not unheard of. My hair is super greasy, if I dont wash my hair everyday it looks like a cow liked my forehead.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Also before I forget sometimes we do really short baths, because lately bath time has been taking a long time and involves a big mess with all the darn splashing. 
    My 2 girls- Jan 2012
    Grand Canyon 2014
  • image EastCoastBride:

But now that warmer weather is here, we're going to do what we did last year which are "summer baths" - which is really more of a shower and a quick in and out to get clean.  Not really full on play time. He'll still get that every couple days, but inbetween, we do the quick version.

Please tell me how you've done this. .. I feel like I should bathe DD more in the summer, but jeez-o man, I don't have an extra 30 minutes every night for it!  I struggle to get her out of the tub now.

• image KathrynMD:
    image EastCoastBride:

Please tell me how you've done this. .. I feel like I should bathe DD more in the summer, but jeez-o man, I don't have an extra 30 minutes every night for it!  I struggle to get her out of the tub now.

My older kids are willing to shower, DD1 says "its like playing in the rain"- I tried to make it fun for them, now it's just a reward because the "shower" kids go first, and they can play downstairs while I bathe the other kids.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Pips09Pips09
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 100 Love Its
    When tiny, every 3 days. Since about a year old, we do it every night. It's more about keeping a regular bedtime routine. I skip soap a couple of times a week, and sometimes they are super short, but we do it every night.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • image KathrynMD:
    image EastCoastBride:

Ha!  I'm not sure....  DS likes to take baths, but sometimes it's a struggle (even though once in, I can't get him out) OR, like you, I don't have 30 mins every night.

Just at some point I started saying "Hey- it was really hot out today and you're extra dirty.  We need to take a quick summer bath!" and he was pretty responsive to that.  Usually he'll just let me use the shower head to wash him off, or he just stands while I dump water on him.  

I will say, though, that this year I'm nervous that it will turn into a "I want to close the drain and play" every time.  That happened this weekend.  I may have to find a new approach that keeps the focus on the "quick" aspect of it. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• DS (14 months) takes a bath at least every other day.  I would say between 4-5 a week.  He does, however, have pretty sensitive/dry skin.  If he did not get food all over himself most days, I would prefer he only bathed about three times a week to help his skin.
  • DD gets baths every night. They don't bother her skin, and quite frankly she's a bit crusty after a full day of playing at school.

DS gets soaped up every 3rd day. But he does get in the bath with water only every night as part of his bedtime routine.  He likes splashing around, and I like giving him a quick wipe down to make myself feel like I"m getting the DC germs off  ;-)

• Daily, even if it's quick, it's every day.  Every now and then we skip it (last Friday when she fell asleep in her dinner), but those are the exception.  She loves to play in the tub and I let her play until she's done and then it's into bed.  She's asleep by 6:30 so it's not a problem, I love bath time!
    Hallelujah, it's a miracle, I have children AND a signature!
    image image

TTC since February 2009
    MC 6/28/2010 @ 7w 5d
    Dx low progesterone October 2010, IUI success and then a total surprise!
  • I'm more likely to skip baths in the summer.  We've usually been in the pool or playing in the sprinkler, and I figure, whatever.  He's clean enough, or not.  We are just staying at home and rolling the dirt again the next day.  I generally smell his head!  If it still smells like chlorine or shampoo, he's good to go.  During the school year though when I have to go to work and he's going to daycare, he pretty much gets daily baths with a few skips here and there.  I don't want my kid to the be smelly kid in class!  I bathe daily myself.  I don't like being greasy and stinky. :) 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In the winter my kids get a bath/ shower as needed which is usually 3 times a week. In the summer it's every night. My baby was getting just one bath a week but now he is feeding himself so he needs one every night right after dinner.

Mom to Angels. Chemical Pregnancies 08/03, 04/04, 10/06, 12/21/10 -Gabriel with us for 6w 5d,BFP 5/25/11 -Jade with us for 5w 3d

Mom to N 07/08/06, L 07/25/09, and S 05/14/12

Stepmom to K 02/14/04 and A 12/17/04

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • DS1 every night

DS2 every other night but sometimes every night bc he is just so darn cute in the bathtub and he loves bathtime!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maybe it is a cultural thing.  Growing up, I got a bath once a week. (Unless we'd been playing outside in the muck.) I was totally fine doing a weekly bath, but we actually have to bathe DD every night, it helps with her eczema. 
  • We do them every other night. The only time we bathe nightly is in the summer when she gets sweaty during the day.
    [/IMG]Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I've wondered if this is cultural or regional or what, too. The only time we've bathed every night was when he was crawling and his DCP let him crawl all over their dirty lawn. He was filthy every day. These days, even playing on the playground he's not a total mudball so we bathe twice a week, or as needed if he gets into something major like a painting project.