Breastfeeding

Hands-free bra? (EPing with low supply)

I am EPing for my DS and am struggling with a low supply (I'm currently pumping about 10-11 oz. per day, which is usually less than half of what he eats). Today I used a hands-free bra for the first time. I liked the freedom it gave me while pumping, but I was unable to do as much hand massage as I usually do, so I'm afraid that will affect my total production.

So my question is, have you noticed if you get less milk when using a hands-free bra, or do you think you get the same amount? I would love to use it more, but I'm very hesitant to change anything in case I get less than I would have. Any tips on using a hands-free bra that I might be missing?

My Crockpot Blog

BFP #1: 3.23.12 EDD 12.2.12; blighted ovum 4.18.12; m/c 5.5.12

BFP #2: 8.23.12 EDD 5.1.13
Our beautiful baby boy was born 2.28.13 at 31w1d
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Hands-free bra? (EPing with low supply)

• What is it about the bra that makes it hard to do the massage? I still use compressions when pumping with a hands free bra and it seems to work fine. I haven't noticed a difference in supply when using one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes I got less milk with the bra. It could be bc it stretched after a few Washings
  • I have a harder time doing compressions wearing the bra. It also took some practice, I would say I got better at them after a week or two with it on. Part of it is that I do best using both hands on one breast to do the compressions, so double pumping is hard dividing that.

At work I double pump with the bra and at home I pump one side at a time, it's time consuming but I usually get almost an extra ounce each side that way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image meggipi5:
    What is it about the bra that makes it hard to do the massage? I still use compressions when pumping with a hands free bra and it seems to work fine. I haven't noticed a difference in supply when using one.

I just felt like I couldn't get as good of a grip for the massage. Could just be because I'm not used to the bra though. I'll try again with hopefully more success next time.

My Crockpot Blog

BFP #1: 3.23.12 EDD 12.2.12; blighted ovum 4.18.12; m/c 5.5.12

BFP #2: 8.23.12 EDD 5.1.13
    Our beautiful baby boy was born 2.28.13 at 31w1d
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I didn't notice any difference in supply.  My bra is adjustable, so I do have to make sure it is tight enough around.  If it is too loose, I will pump less. 
  • I get more milk with a hands free bra, because otherwise the flanges don't stay tight enough to me. 

I'm also not sure why you can't massage while wearing the hands free bra...

imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦