Breastfeeding

Hands-free bra? (EPing with low supply)

I am EPing for my DS and am struggling with a low supply (I'm currently pumping about 10-11 oz. per day, which is usually less than half of what he eats). Today I used a hands-free bra for the first time. I liked the freedom it gave me while pumping, but I was unable to do as much hand massage as I usually do, so I'm afraid that will affect my total production.

So my question is, have you noticed if you get less milk when using a hands-free bra, or do you think you get the same amount? I would love to use it more, but I'm very hesitant to change anything in case I get less than I would have. Any tips on using a hands-free bra that I might be missing?

My Crockpot Blog

BFP #1: 3.23.12 EDD 12.2.12; blighted ovum 4.18.12; m/c 5.5.12

BFP #2: 8.23.12 EDD 5.1.13
Our beautiful baby boy was born 2.28.13 at 31w1d
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Hands-free bra? (EPing with low supply)

• What is it about the bra that makes it hard to do the massage? I still use compressions when pumping with a hands free bra and it seems to work fine. I haven't noticed a difference in supply when using one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes I got less milk with the bra. It could be bc it stretched after a few Washings
  • I have a harder time doing compressions wearing the bra. It also took some practice, I would say I got better at them after a week or two with it on. Part of it is that I do best using both hands on one breast to do the compressions, so double pumping is hard dividing that.

At work I double pump with the bra and at home I pump one side at a time, it's time consuming but I usually get almost an extra ounce each side that way.

Oliver 7.23.12                Harry likes bananas

imageimage
  • image meggipi5:
    What is it about the bra that makes it hard to do the massage? I still use compressions when pumping with a hands free bra and it seems to work fine. I haven't noticed a difference in supply when using one.

I just felt like I couldn't get as good of a grip for the massage. Could just be because I'm not used to the bra though. I'll try again with hopefully more success next time.

My Crockpot Blog

BFP #1: 3.23.12 EDD 12.2.12; blighted ovum 4.18.12; m/c 5.5.12

BFP #2: 8.23.12 EDD 5.1.13
    Our beautiful baby boy was born 2.28.13 at 31w1d
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I didn't notice any difference in supply.  My bra is adjustable, so I do have to make sure it is tight enough around.  If it is too loose, I will pump less. 
  • I get more milk with a hands free bra, because otherwise the flanges don't stay tight enough to me. 

I'm also not sure why you can't massage while wearing the hands free bra...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦