May 2012 Moms

Honey?

Anyone given it yet? DS is just 11 months. A LOT of the recipes I have been wanting to make call for honey and it's the one food we've held off on. I know it's a year at least and I would definitely check with the dr before giving it, just looking for somethine anecdotal here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Honey?

• A paper I got from the pedi said honey may be given at 12 months. If you are cooking with it, I wouldn't worry about it at 11 months. That's just me though.
  • I will not give it at all until a year or later. The bacteria in it can be dangerous in immature digestive systems.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • image bellelamb:
    I will not give it at all until a year or later. The bacteria in it can be dangerous in immature digestive systems.
    . This. I'll probably wait even longer than 12 months. Infant botulism is scary and I don't want to take any chances with it.

• image ELF4321:
    image bellelamb:
    I will not give it at all until a year or later. The bacteria in it can be dangerous in immature digestive systems.
    . This. I'll probably wait even longer than 12 months. Infant botulism is scary and I don't want to take any chances with it.

Same. I have no plans to give it to him any time in the near future, which isn't a problem as we don't consume much at all that involves honey...
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15

December Siggy Challenge - Ugly Christmas Sweaters
  • If you cook with it you should be fine. But I just gave my 2.5 DD honey for the first time recently because I was paranoid, but we don't do a ton of sugar.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image picklesx:
    image ELF4321:
    image bellelamb:
    Same. I have no plans to give it to him any time in the near future, which isn't a problem as we don't consume much at all that involves honey...

this

• I have a stupid queston. What about things like graham crackers? I thought I saw some bumpies using them as snacks but I hesitate buying them because they contain honey. Is it okay since it is processed enough and not straight from the bear so to speak.

• wedseptwedsept
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments
    You shouldn't give anything with honey (including graham crackers or cooked honey) until they are 1.  Honestly, it could kill them.  Why take a chance? 
  • cltk12cltk12
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments
    We discussed this with our pedi at the 9 month appt and she said as long as its cooked its not an issue.  
  • fryratfryrat
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary
    I would not worry about the honey at the grocery store, it's barely honey anyway. I'd be more concerned with the stuff that's unprocessed, with the pollen and everything.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards