Natural Birth

Constipation (Maybe TMI)

I seriously need some help. I have been constipated pretty much since my daughter was born almost 6 months ago. I had a completely med free birth and no medication after birth either, so there wasn't any medication that caused it. I am exclusively BFing also. I drink about 6 liters of water a day, take Metamucil once a day, take pro-biotic supplements and include raw veggies and beans in my daily diet. I don't really want to take any pharmaceutical laxatives but I don't know what else to do. It has gotten so bad that I bleed at every BM. It hurts more than birth did....

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this problem?

baby development
image image
Married May 14, 2011 DD born Nov 10, 2012
On our way to 2u2, due June 22

June '14 April Siggy Cute Animals!

Re: Constipation (Maybe TMI)

• prune juice

kiwi

I've heard drinking a cup of warm or hot water with fresh lemon juice in it every morning can help.

Do you exercise?  Keeping my body active keeps my bowels more regular.

Have you talked to your doctor about this?

• Yikes, that sounds very uncomfortable.

Would you be okay taking something like Colace? It is a stool softener, as opposed to a laxative, and is available over the counter. I was sent home from the hospital with it (as was pretty much every other mama I know!).

In any case, I would definitely be calling my doctor if I was in your situation. (Though s/he is probably going to recommend Colace...).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My first tri constipation was fixed with prunes, walking after meals, and drinking warm herbal tea of some kind before bed. The ladies that lived in a nursing home I worked in swore that a warm drink of water or tea before bed got things moving by morning and I don't know if it worked or not but it was worth trying. It did made me pee during the night a few time though. I was already eating lots of veggies and drinking a lot of water too. I've used colace when I upped how much iron I was taking and it really did make going a much gentler experience and I've only had a to use it a few times.
    J13 April Siggy Challenge: A plague of idiots is my worst nightmare.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Try adding some flax and chia seeds into your diet. That sounds really uncomfortable :( I'm sorry!
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • 500 mg of magnesium a day changed my life. My midwife recommended it.

Layne-May 6, 2013

Callie-February 14, 2011

• I've read that blackstrap molasses is helpful and I have to say that since I've been craving it things have been moving along much better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Apple juice works wonders for me
  • In second magnesium. I take a supplement called Calm that helps.

• vcabbywvcabbyw
    Ancient Membership 250 Answers 100 Comments 25 Love Its
    Another recommendation for magnesium! I'm taking it now to avoid it and the possibility of hemi's!
  • One more vote for magnesium.  Other things that seem to help are:

Oatmeal with raisins, I eat this every morning and it is so helpful!  You can also switch raisins for chopped prunes.  (The prunes are not to bad mixed with the oats)

Nuts, seeds, homemade trail mix works wonders!  I do a mix of, dark chocolate, raisins, cashews, sunflower seeds, and other dried fruit I have on hand.  ( pineapple, apples, prunes, mango's, ect.. If you have a Costco card you can save sooo much money buying these things from there)

At night I have a "smoothie"  for dinner I make it with organic frozen berry's (again I buy a HUGE bag from Costco)  a handful of spinach and a good sized half cup of Greek yogurt.  

All these things have helped me so much!  I should mention that I have suffered from constipation for the past 13 years, if I keep this diet up I am pretty regular.  

Good luck!