Breastfeeding

Mixed emotions

DS will be 1 in about 3 weeks. I am so close to my 1 year goal of BFing and I am extremely excited and proud.
I really thought I'd be ready to wean at a year but now I'm not sure. DS may be our last LO and I am really treasuring our BM relationship.
I'm debating about at least stopping pumping a work; I'm down to 1 pump a day anyway. I'm assuming my supply will adjust to nursing morning and night only? I have a large stash so I plan on doing BM in a sippy for awhile anyway.
Just looking to see what others are doing and for any words of wisdom.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
BFP #1 12.5.07 DD born 8.6.08
BFP #2 6.18.11 M/C 6.26.11 @ 4w 5d
BFP #3 9.15.11 DS1 born 5.21.12
BFP #4 5.27.13 DS2 born 1.27.14

Re: Mixed emotions

• I'm feeling just like you....I had initially planned on stopping at 1, but since there are only 3 months left, I find that I have changed my mind. I am a teacher, so I will continue to nurse through the summer, and then go to am and night only (goodbye, pump!). i've talked to some girls at La Leche League, and they say it works, juts cut out feeding/pumping sessions slowly and one at a time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm not that close to 1 yet, but that's my plan. Ditch the pump and enjoy your LO.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

imageimageimage
  • I've been there.

At one point (I had several goals) I was planning on stopping at 12 months.  1 year seems so nice and clean as a cut-off, right?  But as it got closer, it seemed a little arbitrary, and I'd also be stopping RIGHT as flu season was starting.  

So I changed the plan.  I stopped pumping at work, and just breastfed when we were together.  I had enough in my freezer to last a month, and at 13 months I sent WCM to daycare with him instead of BM, but still nursed at home.

June '15 Dec Siggy Challenge.  Awkward Family Holiday Pics

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm feeling exactly the same way - although it has been nice to drop to one pump session at work, it took me a week or two to get used to the idea of being ok with pumping less than she's getting at daycare (I have a freezer stash to use). 

I don't want to wean yet, and my LO seems to be dropping a feeding (both from me and at daycare from a bottle), but is also very much not ready to wean - she pretty much demands boob the second I walk in the door at home.  

I'm not sure how the next few months will go.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• I stopped pumping at 1 year with both DD1 and DD2. I had planned to let both self wean after that. I ended up weaning DD1 at 3y2m because her latch got too bad. She bites down on her straws, and she was doing that to me. I weaned DD2 within a couple months of finding out I was pg. It just got too uncomfortable for me. She was 2y3m.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with continuing to nurse after 1 year however you want to do it. Your supply will adjust to what your toddler needs. Plus nursing a toddler is so much easier than nursing a baby.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I'm still nursing after 19 months. Never thought I would be but he refuses WCM so I kept at it. Now we do only 1 time a day for naps and that's it. My supply adjusted just fine. I'm sure yours will! BFing still has benefits after 1 year so why not continue some?
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • esdesd
    Long-Lasting Membership 2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    Thanks ladies! I'd really like to keep going after 1 year and I love the encouragement :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP #1 12.5.07 DD born 8.6.08
    BFP #2 6.18.11 M/C 6.26.11 @ 4w 5d
    BFP #3 9.15.11 DS1 born 5.21.12
    BFP #4 5.27.13 DS2 born 1.27.14
  • I have it too. Breastfeeding is just so much easier than making sippy cups of milk. (and i hate dishes!) i am using freezer milk and WCM (half and half)

We are down to one a day (right before bed) I hope to keep doing this one until he is done with it or i dry up.

It makes me sad because it is just another example of how he is getting to be a big boy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ilanatilanat
    Long-Lasting Membership 100 Comments Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    My goal was to stop after a year, but LO still wants to nurse when he wakes up in the morning and right before bed and I love the bonding time and knowing that I am still giving him all the amazing benefits of breastmilk, including antibodies designed for his stage.  I'm not sure when I am going to stop.  It would be easier if he showed signs of losing interest, but that has not happened yet.  My supply has adjusted with no discomfort and I no longer pump at all.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards