April 2013 Moms

Cutting Nails

Hello!

My LO is two an a half weeks and her nails are so long! She is always grabbing at scratching her face! I was goin to cut them but I got scared : I bought a special file more buffer becuz I didn't want it to hurt her and that didn't work! I need advice on how to care for her nails.

I remember someone on her posting about biting them of but I cant do that I have never bitten my own nails and don't know how to safely do hers. I thought I also read that someone's pedi said not too for four weeks? Why and how do u all handle long nails? Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Cutting Nails

• I trim them with special baby nail clippers that are lighted, so you can really see what you're doing.  They're also super easy to hold (not slippery like normal clippers).

Wait until the baby is sleeping or milk-drunk to do it.

Good luck. 

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • This sounds weird but our nurse in the hospital said at this age they're so soft that sometimes they're easier just to peel off, and it was so true. That's how we trimmed them until she was older. We just kind of started in the corner and very gently picked at it and it usually came off perfectly, if there's any imperfections you can use a file.

Layne-May 6, 2013

Callie-February 14, 2011

• Loading the player...
  • imageBoatsNHoes:
    This sounds weird but our nurse in the hospital said at this age they're so soft that sometimes they're easier just to peel off, and it was so true. That's how we trimmed them until she was older. We just kind of started in the corner and very gently picked at it and it usually came off perfectly, if there's any imperfections you can use a file.

this. It's way easier than cutting them.  

Bradley Houston - 04.01.13
  • imagemypalbabs:

I trim them with special baby nail clippers that are lighted, so you can really see what you're doing.  They're also super easy to hold (not slippery like normal clippers).

Wait until the baby is sleeping or milk-drunk to do it.

Good luck. 

This exactly. I'm a FTM and was very nervous but have gotten used to it. With lots of light, baby clippers, and a sleeping baby it's not really that bad. 

• KovakKovak member
    We use cuticle scissors while he is sleeping in a brightly lit room. Our pedi told us not to use the infant clippers cuz it's too easy to clip their fingertips. She recommended biting them as we'll but, like you, I wasn't comfortable with that either. I also try to dress my little guy in tops with the built in hand covers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Did you try to peal them off yet?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I just used an emery board to file them down - I was too nervous to use the nail clippers.

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• I bite my LO while I nurse...i'm scared of the clippers

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• I used a heavy file. As he gets older I'll use cuticle cutters. Right now its too hard to determine skin vs nail.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Poor DH cut Clara's thumb the other night with the clippers! I think he was more upset than she was. Needless to say, her hand is not finished! I'm going to try peeling them, because she scratched her face, and she keeps clawing at me while she's nursing!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dip fingers in flour so you can see the nails well then use clippers.
    Together happily for 7 years, Married March 2012--Buckle up! BabyFruit Ticker
  • my LO was born with insanely long nails, it freaked me out and she was scratching herself from the very first day.. I tried biting and peeling at them in the hospital but she would freak out.. the first night home I used my regular emery file on her when she was snoozing right after nursing.. she didn't seem to even notice!  I didn't go side to side like you would on your own nails, though, I went top to bottom one finger at a time and it worked really well, good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughters nails brake so easily that I don't worry about cutting her nails! But peeling them off is also very easy!!
  • imagehatroopes:
    I just used an emery board to file them down - I was too nervous to use the nail clippers.

This.  It was very easy. 

image BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagemypalbabs:
    I trim them with special baby nail clippers that are lighted, so you can really see what you're doing. nbsp;They're also super easy to hold not slippery like normal clippers.Wait until the baby is sleeping or milkdrunk to do it.nbsp;Good luck.nbsp;

Same!
  • My son was born 2 weeks overdue and his nails are insanely long! He has cuts on his hands from them. They are so thin that my midwife said we could just peel them off. He is 3 days old so I'm going to attempt to try that first. Never heard of waiting a month!
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    I've heard there is a special scissor for baby nails that is curved but haven't checked into it yet. With DS we ended up in urgent care one night because I clipped his finger tip and it would not stop bleeding. Worst feeling in the world. Make sure you have good lighting and just take your time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"