Breastfeeding

different shaped nipples?

DS2 is one week old today and we have been breastfeeding exclusively which has been going great (for him at least, he has already surpassed his birth weight as of his appointment yesterday!). However, he only really nurses great on my left breast. I have no pain whatsoever. The right breast is a whole different story.

I have blistered and bled and oh my the pain! I don't do anything differently when having him latch compared to the other breast. For the first two seconds of him latching the pain is excruciating! After that, it is still painful, but tolerable. I'm using lanolin more times a day than I can count.

For the past 24 hours I have just been letting him nurse on my right breast and pumping the left almost every feeding to try to let it heal.

What can I do? I don't want to end up with boobs of different sizes! lol, Do you think it will get better if I give it a few days of just pumping to let the nipple heal? TIA

Lucas 3.5.11
Tyler 4.23.13

Re: different shaped nipples?

• I have this exact problem! My left nipple is a lot flatter and oh my gosh the issues I have had!!! It constantly cracks and bleeds. I am anxious to see what other say about it. What is frustrating is my left side makes about three times as much milk as my right, so I have to nurse him on that side more.
    Mommy to seven-year-old twins who are the joys of my life, and three sweet little ones in Heaven, including Miss Lily Grace who was lost at 20 weeks due to a cord accident.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker

• Have you tried changing your position? Do cross cradle on one side and football on the other. That way LO is approaching both sides from the same angle.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, here we go again. EDD 5.15.14
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • We had this issue and used a shield on the bad side 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image TJ1979:
    Have you tried changing your position? Do cross cradle on one side and football on the other. That way LO is approaching both sides from the same angle.

I've tried cross-cradle, football, and laying side by side. No matter which way he comes at the nipple, it is super painful.

Lucas 3.5.11
    Tyler 4.23.13
  • I'd try a shield on the bad side and see if that helps. My nipples are healed since using a shield. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to try a shield and see how it goes. Thanks for the tips ladies!

Lucas 3.5.11
    Tyler 4.23.13