Multiples

6month old Feeding and Napping issue.

Ok so normally I keep my 6 month old boys on the same feeding and sleeping schedule because one gets angry if I feed one and not the other. So I have been propping them up in their vibrating chair/swings and feeding them that way. Well they have now just about out grown these chairs. I do not feel comfortable about feeding them on the couches because they are very wiggly! How does everyone else feed their 6 month olds? 

Also they nap in these swings because they are normally only down for about 15-20 min every now and again. Should I just cave and put them in their cribs? It takes longer to get them down then their actual nap! lol Advice please! :)  

Re: 6month old Feeding and Napping issue.

• I have fed my twins at the same time since birth, unless one is sleeping through a feeding, which has only happened a handful of times. I use their bouncer chairs. I have bouncer chairs that are pretty big and wide, so it still works for me. I put them in my play room, put on a Baby Einstein movie and feed both at the same time. For solids, I fed in their high chairs that connect to my kitchen table, so they are each on either side of me. I would get bigger bouncer chairs if your LOs are too big for yours. This works best for bottles in my casa :) GL. 
    TTC Since Jan. 2011
    July 2011: Clomid 50mg- No ovulation
    Sept 2011: Clomid 100mg- No ovulation
    Nov 2011: Clomid 150mg- No ovulation
    Jan-Feb 2012: 150mg Clomid and 5 mg Femara w/ Orvidrel Shot- Ovulation!!
    Feb 2012: IUI #1- BFP
    Beta #1: 206
    Beta #2: 2496
    Feb 16: TWINS!!!
    June 13: Found out genders... Boy/Girl (Team Green)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/acc1h5.jpg[/IMG]
  • Yes!!! Cave for naps and start putting them in their cribs. I got rid of napping in their swings around 4 months when I wanted them to sleep in their cribs for bedtime. It took some time, but now, they nap great in there!! They have never been the best nappers, but have started to get better. They have about an hour nap in the morning, their afternoon nap has started to become 2 hours and then they have about an hour nap about 3 hours before their 7:30pm bedtime. My son goes down for naps like a champ. My daughter....I still have to rock in my arms till she's kinda out and then I put her down. I'm slowly trying to put her down for naps more and more awake. I know she's tired, but she fights it!!! It's gonna take some time. Start it now. It will only make your life easier later. 
    TTC Since Jan. 2011
    July 2011: Clomid 50mg- No ovulation
    Sept 2011: Clomid 100mg- No ovulation
    Nov 2011: Clomid 150mg- No ovulation
    Jan-Feb 2012: 150mg Clomid and 5 mg Femara w/ Orvidrel Shot- Ovulation!!
    Feb 2012: IUI #1- BFP
    Beta #1: 206
    Beta #2: 2496
    Feb 16: TWINS!!!
    June 13: Found out genders... Boy/Girl (Team Green)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/acc1h5.jpg[/IMG]
  • I feed my 6 month olds propped up on the couch or in their high chairs. Usually on the couch because it's easier to grab them quickly to burp if they get too much air in their tummies.

I would try the cribs. They might resist at first because they are not used to it, but they might also surprise you by napping longer. It's definitely worth a try if you're only getting 15-20 min naps out of them!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I laid my girls in boppies and fed them that way.  Eventually they moved to laying down and holding their own bottles.  

I'm a long ways from the newborn game, but you're going to have to move them to the cribs eventually, so just pick a time when you have a few open days and do it.  Especially if they are only taking 15 minute naps.  You don't have much to lose!  Establish a routine, monitor their wake times, and catch their sleep cues.  Good luck! 

• I feed my kids in a RnP, but they're going to be too big for that soon so I find this post helpful. Thanks!

To help your kids transition from swing to crib you can get mattress wedges for their crib. It gives just the slightest incline similar to a swing. Most babies don't like the pressure they experience from laying flat at first so this might help you. You can also move to a crib one kid at a time. Let your better sleeper get used to crib naps for a few days or weeks then add the second one.
    4/13/12--1st u/s. IDENTICAL TRIPLETS (?!?) PAIF and SAIF welcome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • bottle feeding, right? I used two boppy pillows on the floor, one on each side of me, for a while. then around 9 months they started holding their own bottles. joy to the world! 

yes, move to the crib when you have the chance! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

ID girls born at 38w

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • High chairs! It works out well because they are experimenting with solids, and I just give them their bottles afterward.

And as far as napping.... put them in their cribs sleepy, but awake. They might cry for 5 minutes when you first start doing it, but they are old enough to self soothe. Do you have a nap/bedtime routine? We use the same routine for naps that we do at night. Story, song, prayer and good night. They are often still awake when they lay down, but within 5 minutes of letting them wriggle around and coo, they fall asleep on their own. Take a look at our routine if you're interested in an example.

TTC since 04/2010
    Ovarian cancer survivor
    DH= low motility
    2/9/11 lap & hysteroscopy- uterine polyp & scar tissue removed
    3/25/11 IUI#1= BFP m/c; D&C at 7w3d (Trisomy 16)
    IUIs #2, #3, #4 and #5= BFNs
    Onto IVF #1= BFN
    FET 4/6/12= 2 extended blasts transferred, with one hatching
    Beta 1= 607; Beta 2= 1,564; Beta 3= 24,439; Beta 4= over 64,000
    First u/s on 5/10= TWINS! Heartbeats 158 and 160!
    It's a boy and a girl!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    My Blog
    Huge congrats to my beautiful BFPB lmj8284, due June 2012!
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." -FDR