Breastfeeding

How long do you keep your freezer milk?

I've read 3-5 months but that is a pretty big window... so I am just curious what others do.

I have some milk from mid january in my freezer and I am not sure what to do with it. Can you smell if it is bad while it is still frozen? I have a babysitter coming on monday and I am afraid of leaving her bad milk. I know she can just thaw more but I want things to be easy for her.

It is in a bottom freezer but in the back where it doesn't get pulled out when we open it. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
image image

Re: How long do you keep your freezer milk?

• The milk should be defrosted to see if it's okay.  But, I'm sure Jan milk is fine, especially if its in the back of the freezer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image alie78_80:
    The milk should be defrosted to see if it's okay.  But, I'm sure Jan milk is fine, especially if its in the back of the freezer.

Thanks, I've hardly used my frozen milk up until this point. 

image image
  • Milk can actually be good for 6 to 12 months depending on how it's kept. If it doesn't smell I would give it.
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It really depends on how you use your freezer. If it's toward the front and you're in and out of it a lot, I'd stay closer to 3 months. Since yours is near the back, I'd be more comfortable with 4-5 months.

Based on how I store the milk, my personal comfort level is 4 months, but we haven't hit that yet and probably never will. LO gets frozen milk one or two days per week and I replace what was used with the milk I pumped that day. That helps keep the stash up to date.

CafeMom Tickers>
  • I just gave her some milk last week from December and she was not happy.  I think the milk was totally fine, but the composition of my milk has probaby changed so much since then.  It gets fattier over time.

I'll still use the older milk, I just need to mix it with a good amount of fresh milk.  I wouldn't recommend leaving the babysitter with a whole bottle of old milk. 

• image cchill01:

I just gave her some milk last week from December and she was not happy.  I think the milk was totally fine, but the composition of my milk has probaby changed so much since then.  It gets fattier over time.

I'll still use the older milk, I just need to mix it with a good amount of fresh milk.  I wouldn't recommend leaving the babysitter with a whole bottle of old milk. 

Thanks, most of my stored stuff is in small quantities so maybe I will leave half and half of new and old.

Maybe I will just start giving her some older milk in her sippy cups while she is learning. Better than letting it go bad.

Thanks for all the information :) 

image image
  • I try to use it within 4 months.  I've been sending milk from mid-Jan this month.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• image theresat858:
    I try to use it within 4 months.  I've been sending milk from mid-Jan this month.

This is me too. I'm on my mid-Jan milk right now.  I keep my milk way in the back in a brand-new freezer and it maybe gets opened 3-4 times a week. 

• I have a deep freeze, so I go up to 12 months.  It was worth the investment.  I stopped pumping at work at a year, and she is still getting 4 oz a day of BM at day care since I had a huge stash.  I'm about to go on a week long work trip and so she'll get more of it while I'm gone.  (The kid will NOT take other kinds of milk... just BM and water!)  Anyway, right now she is drinking July 2012 milk and it is fine and she is ok with it.  (Just 1X a day right now.)
  • I go by the 5-5-5 rule. 5 hours on the counter, 5 days in the fridge, and 5 months in the freezer.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This is from the CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling_breastmilk.htm

Says 3-6 months in a regular freezer.  Milk in the later range may not be as nutritious, but it shouldn't be spoiled.    

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have a friend who had extreme excess production. She nursed and pumped for 6 months and then quit. She had enough in the freezer to last 6 more months. So she would say 6 months is fine
    View Full Size Image image image