3rd Trimester

Shampoo, Lotions & Massage Oil

I am not a FTM- in fact this is my 3rd baby- but it's been years since I have had a little one. I have always used Johnsons & Johnsons products, and never had a problem. I have also used Aveeno (which I think is still a J&J product)...again no problems. However I have heard now that those products are no good? How come? What brands have you bought, registered for, or received at your baby showers?

I am not having a baby shower, however; family and friends (who live in different states) still want to buy some gifts- and I am finishing up my baby registry. I am looking at Burt's Bee's and was wondering if they smell good, bad, or no fragrance? I am also looking at Mustela, however I have smelled some of those products at a boutique and they either have no smell (which is fine) or an awful smell, which I am not down with. Have any of you used Mustela? how did you like it?

Curious what you mama's plan on using when you LO arrives.

I also plan to do infant massage with my baby. I took a class with DS2 and really enjoyed learning different calming techniques, and he really loved it. We were stationed in Germany when I took the class, and they had some amazing massage oil that I found out on the economy. I don't remember what it was called, and I doubt I can even find it here in the states even if I did remember what it was called. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an all natural, light scent (if any) massage oil for baby.

Re: Shampoo, Lotions & Massage Oil

• I use J&J on DS. I love their head to toe wash. We use calendula cream lotion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am using Johnson and Johnson wash and Aveeno lotion. I also have some Burt's Bees stuff. A few folks recommended Mustela and/or Burts Bees baby massage oil. Burt's Bees could smell better, but is super good for baby skin (and mama skin too). :)
    Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan to use California Baby and Burts Bees 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • I believe some of the J&J products were found to contain formaldehyde a few years back. They have since begun reforumlating their products so that none of them contain formaldehyde, but it's still a work in progress. I believe their ETA is 2015?

The long and short of it is that studies in recent years have found J&J products and a lot of other brands to contain chemicals that are not great for babies' skin. 

You can check out the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database at https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ for more info in different brands and to see their safety ratings.

I have used California Baby (don't use them anymore since they changed their formula in 2011/2012), Burt's Bees (hit or miss), Earth Mama Angel Baby (love their every day lotion), and Mustela for baby/toddler skin care. Mustela didn't have the ratings I wanted so I discontinued use. Right now, my go to brand is EMAB.

I tossed all of the J&J products that I've received as gifts or as samples because the ratings are pretty bad and I didn't want to just pass them on to someone else to use on their baby.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a fan of Earth Mama Angel Baby products. Used to use California Baby until they reformulated.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • skioskio member
    JnJ is crap. It's full of chemicals, dyes, perfumes, and preservatives and there was a big scandal a few years back because they kept a harmful preservative in their US products that had been banned in the EU for baby products. I won't support a company that keeps a harmful product in baby shampoo to save a buck. Despicable.

JnJ makes Aveeno, so I won't buy them, either. I admittedly feel very strongly about the JnJ thing because I am very picky about the ingredients in products I use for my babies.

I use Earth Mama Angel Baby [buy on amazon] for the first two years. In the first few months, I rarely use soap. Babies' skin doesn't need it. It smells like oranges because of the citrus oils. I recently started using Burt's Bees on DD and I love the smell.

For oil, organic coconut oil is freaking amazing. It can be used as lotion for baby and adults, diaper rash preventative, massage oil, etc.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageskio:
    JnJ is crap. It's full of chemicals, dyes, perfumes, and preservatives and there was a big scandal a few years back because they kept a harmful preservative in their US products that had been banned in the EU for baby products. I won't support a company that keeps a harmful product in baby shampoo to save a buck. Despicable. JnJ makes Aveeno, so I won't buy them, either. I admittedly feel very strongly about the JnJ thing because I am very picky about the ingredients in products I use for my babies. I use Earth Mama Angel Baby [buy on amazon] for the first two years. In the first few months, I rarely use soap. Babies' skin doesn't need it. It smells like oranges because of the citrus oils. I recently started using Burt's Bees on DD and I love the smell. For oil, organic coconut oil is freaking amazing. It can be used as lotion for baby and adults, diaper rash preventative, massage oil, etc.

Is EMAB only sold on amazon? Can I buy it in a store? I have a BRU, Target, Walmart around me. I have a boutique, but I have been there, and I don't recall if they sell it or not- I will have to look when I go in there again.

Where would organic coconut oil be sold? Like a health food store? I  will look online too- thanks!

• I'm using Burt's Bees and Earth Mama Angel Baby. EMAB can be bought online at Target for some products, otherwise look up smaller baby/mother boutiques in your area if you're looking for buying in store. A lot of those carry their products. Amazon might be your best bet for price though, and you have a better chance of getting everything you need in one stop rather than buying from multiple sites/stores.
  • imagevirginiagirl11:

I believe some of the J&J products were found to contain formaldehyde a few years back. They have since begun reforumlating their products so that none of them contain formaldehyde, but it's still a work in progress. I believe their ETA is 2015?

The long and short of it is that studies in recent years have found J&J products and a lot of other brands to contain chemicals that are not great for babies' skin. 

You can check out the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database at https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ for more info in different brands and to see their safety ratings.

I have used California Baby (don't use them anymore since they changed their formula in 2011/2012), Burt's Bees (hit or miss), Earth Mama Angel Baby (love their every day lotion), and Mustela for baby/toddler skin care. Mustela didn't have the ratings I wanted so I discontinued use. Right now, my go to brand is EMAB.

I tossed all of the J&J products that I've received as gifts or as samples because the ratings are pretty bad and I didn't want to just pass them on to someone else to use on their baby.

J&J said they would reformulate adults products by 2015 and baby products by end of 2013.

• imagevirginiagirl11:

I believe some of the J&J products were found to contain formaldehyde a few years back. They have since begun reforumlating their products so that none of them contain formaldehyde, but it's still a work in progress. I believe their ETA is 2015?

J&J said they would reformulate adults products by 2015 and baby products by end of 2013.

• Where would organic coconut oil be sold? Like a health food store? I  will look online too- thanks!

You can find it at Walmart, Target, Meijer, Kroger, Costco etc... In the Peanut Butter section or at least that's where I've gotten it Health food stores carry it as well, but it's more expensive usually and it's the same thing the grocery stores sell. Definitely getcha some. It's awesome and great for cooking!
  • I use Bert's Bees body wash and the name brand Shea Moisture lotions and oil.  The scent of Bert's Bees is minimal but pleasant and Shea Moisture is awesome!  They have different scents and it's made from raw shea butter.  I actually use the exact same lotion on myself.  It's not widely available though.

https://www.diapers.com/p/shea-moisture-raw-shea-butter-baby-healing-lotion-12-oz-672012

https://www.diapers.com/p/shea-moisture-raw-shea-butter-baby-massage-oil-8-oz-672011

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"