Stay at Home Moms

Soda at our party...question

Maybe an odd question but..

DD's baptism is next month and I've been picking up cases of soda at the food store every time I go.  I've been getting the store brand which is what we usually drink - it tastes the same to us and is a good price.

DH saw it all in the garage and said I should get Coke or Pepsi for the party or we might seem cheap.  I wasn't trying to be cheap, just didn't think about it and grabbed what I always buy.

WDYT - does it seem cheap to have the store brand/generic soda at a party? Should I return it (we don't drink all the kinds) and get the name brand?

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: Soda at our party...question

• eh, It will depend on the people invited i guess and if you care that they might talk about it behind your back for a week (i can't imagine it getting any more attention than that.). I wouldn't think twice about it if i went to a party and it was generic in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would buy store brand if that's what you prefer. It sounds like I'm in the minority though.... I just don't really see what the big deal is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I always buy name brand for parties. But if you want to compromise, but Pepsi or Coke (or both, I always do because we have some picky family members), but store brand for the ones that really don't matter - like ginger ale, club soda, etc.

I feel like people are picky about their colas, so I like to have their choices there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the opinions, I think I'll exchange. I don't mind spending the extra for name brand, just wasn't even thinking of it when I grabbed them.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • imageLalaMama81:
    Yes, I'd buy the name brand. I also wouldn't buy cases/cans for a party b/c more gets wasted. Lots of people don't finish the cans. If I get soda for a party (I don't always) I buy 2 liters when they are on sale. I have also noticed at parties and events that less soda is consumed when it's store brand vs. name brand.

All of that.  I keep sharpies by the cups so people can keep tabs better.  I don't like the taste of store brand so I would probably skip (or occasionally I've called somebody who hadn't shown up yet to swing by the store and get me some diet coke and drink it on the sly).

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageJenniCollins:

imageLalaMama81:
    Yes, I'd buy the name brand. I also wouldn't buy cases/cans for a party b/c more gets wasted. Lots of people don't finish the cans. If I get soda for a party (I don't always) I buy 2 liters when they are on sale. I have also noticed at parties and events that less soda is consumed when it's store brand vs. name brand.

All of that.  I keep sharpies by the cups so people can keep tabs better.  I don't like the taste of store brand so I would probably skip (or occasionally I've called somebody who hadn't shown up yet to swing by the store and get me some diet coke and drink it on the sly).

yes, name brands, 2 liters and sharpies by the cups 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imagenowababy:
    I agree with your H.

Me too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with your H and I agree with Have in this post. I always buy cans for parties. I am not a fan of solo cups and and a sharpie.
  • imageHav=Fath:
    I'm the opposite, I love to be able to throw a bunch of cans into a cooler and let people just grab them when they want one. 

Same Hav.  I find we never drink all of a 2 liter and it goes flat before it's gone.  I'd rather have cans for months afterwards.

OP, it would never occur to me to buy name brand, but I wouldn't second guess anyone who did.  We rarely drink soda, so I wouldn't even care if a party only served water.

• imageLalaMama81:

Yep, if it's a plastic cup kind of party we put sharpies out, too. It's not really any harder than tossing cans in a cooler. 

ETA: Plus we use our cooler and big tub for beer, even a keg sometimes, no room for soda! 

Oh...  separate coolers for sure!  Most of ours are probably more beer than soda too though.

• Two coolers for beer and one for sodas, and one for juice and water. We are a four cooler party family Wink
  • imageauroraloo:
    imageLalaMama81:

imageauroraloo:
    imageAndrewsgal:
    I agree with your H and I agree with Have in this post. I always buy cans for parties. I am not a fan of solo cups and and a sharpie.
    This. I hate having to pour a cup at a party, grab and go, FTW.

For me, it comes from years of throwing events and I know how many drinks were wasted. I refuse to buy a few cases of soda that will only get half drank and I'll have all of those cans to recycle instead of a few 2 liter bottles. Sure, some soda will still be wasted, but not nearly as much.

I mostly use real glass and don't serve soda anyway at parties, so I don't know why I care so much about this.   

Since soda in cans doesn't REALLY go bad, I guess I don't see it as a waste, and it's more convenient for my guests. I can toss the cans in the fridge and they'll get drank (drunk?) later, whereas any leftover in a 2-liter goes flat.The partially drunk cans don't bug me, because I don't really have that many left.

It's not a big deal, not like I"m going to say "I'm not coming to your party because you have 2-liters!", I just prefer cans. 

I agree I actually find less waste with cans. The leftover ones to in the fridge to drink later. I migh find three or four half empty cans. I prefer that over two liters going flat. Also solo cups and sharpies seems so college to me.
  • imagecjcouple:

imageAndrewsgal:
    Two coolers for beer and one for sodas, and one for juice and water. We are a four cooler party family Wink

This!!  Any soda (name brand or not) from a plastic cup is disgusting.

I think that is part of it too. I really think soda from a two liter is yuck.
  • imagecjcouple:
    imageAndrewsgal:
    imagecjcouple:

imageAndrewsgal:
    Two coolers for beer and one for sodas, and one for juice and water. We are a four cooler party family Wink

I know, what is that?  It is really weird because I think the 16-20oz in a bottle is fine.  lol

honestly I can not figure it out. It is just disgusting to me. I prefer a can, but the small bottles are okay. Maybe it is a mental thing. Maybe you and I are mental?
  • I would buy name brand for a party. But I wouldn't think anything of it if we went to a party that had store brand. So it would be ok, just not my first choice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Only name brand and only cans for parties... In my mind that's what people like!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never noticed a difference and wouldn't care, but then I very rarely drink soda at all. Regular soda drinkers might notice. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    imagecjcouple:

imageAndrewsgal:

That's funny. I find anything in a can (beer, soda, juice, iced tea, whatever) has a really weird taste to it. I prefer a glass bottle, then a plastic bottle. 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't judge non-name brand soda, but I wouldn't drink it either.  The only soda I drink is Diet Coke, but if it wasn't available I would just have water.  

I also use cans for parties, two liters are a PITA.  Red solo cups are for kegs 

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"