April 2013 Moms

I'm not a bad mom!

I'm done being made to feel like I'm not a good mom because I'm having issues with BF and pumping and needing to supplement with formula. And I know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

I'm not a failure as a parent. I'm doing everything I can to increase my milk supply and I'm doing everything I can to make sure that LO is well nourished, and if that means using formula, formula it is.

And if you are having issues with BFing or its not working, you're not a failure either. Not all of us have an over supply, some of us need the extra sessions with lactation consultants and the fenugreek and the formula supplements.  And that's OK.  We're doing what we need to do to make sure our LOs are happy and healthy and that makes us good moms.

Vent over 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— I took the one less traveled by,  And that has made all the difference." ~Robert Frost

Re: I'm not a bad mom!

• I completely agree with you! Who ever has made you feel like you're a failure is absolutely wrong!! You are doing what's best for your child by making sure they are well nourished. Some women just don't make enough milk or any at all.... And some choose not to nurse and that does not make you a bad mother at all! I'm sorry you've been made to feel like you're failing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Agreed. I supplement. Not to mention that I pump and bottle feed. I did not like the experience of actually BFing but I do want LO to benefit from the milk. At our last pediatrician's appointment, the doc talked to me like I was crazy not to let LO feed directly from my breast. She did say it was OK to supplement. I'm going to do what's comfortable for me and continue pumping, and that does not make me a bad mom.
  • I agree. I'm formula feeding my tongue tied baby because we just couldn't work together to nurse. And we're both much happier. So no, we're not bad moms!
  • Thank you for posting this. I am struggling with the same issues. No one is giving me a hard time about it but I can't stop giving myself a hard time.
  • You're 100 right and anyone that tells you different can suck it. I went through that with my first and it's really hard, especially when everyone is telling you what your body should be able to do.

• You are not a bad mom and don't ever let people make you feel that way. I was unable to BF with my first and she turned out just fine. You just keep on doing what you know is the right thing for our baby and forget what others are saying. Its truly none of their business!

image image

• Thank you. It's me being hard on myselfI cried when she lost 1 pound in the hospital and we couldn't leave...now we are using pumped milk and formula and baby is happy and healthy. After all that's the really important thing.
    Together happily for 7 years, Married March 2012--Buckle up! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Who has been on you so bad about FF?
    "I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 10/22/13 - 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

• Thank you for posting this!  I have been feeling horrible because my LO just wasn't getting enough from breast alone and I was supplementing.  Now the only thing she responds well to is formula and even my family is judging.  I want my daughter to be happy and healthy and if formula does that, why not?  She got the colostrum and has gotten breast milk, but sometimes you just wish people wouldn't make you feel like a failure as a mom for not BFing exclusively.
  • OhSewCrafty, it's been a combination of stuff I've been reading that's based on other people's opinions, my grandparents, and my own ego sometimes you need to correct yourself.

To be fair, I have many others in my life who have been very supportive. But after seeing others expressing the same frustrations and having a day which left me in tears, I needed to get that out.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— I took the one less traveled by,  And that has made all the difference." ~Robert Frost

• We are our own worst critics! There is a reason we chose to breast feed and feeling like a failure when it's not 100 the experience we wanted brings us to being insecure which allows comments straight to your soul. I have a friend who refused flat out to supplement, her baby was jaundice, she claimed colic among other things. Now going through being a first time mommy I am 99 sure her baby was just overly hungry. Yay for healthy babies and mommies that do everything they can!
    Together happily for 7 years, Married March 2012--Buckle up! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you for posting this!  We've been having to supplement ever since baby was hospitalized for an airway infection last week and I've been feeling guilty since my supply tanked while he was there (and I got mastitis).  And this is in Norway where every mum is expected to breastfeed since they get such a long maternity leave...