Crafty Moms

"do not pre-wash" ?? Help, please.

I bought a little bundle of fat quarters to use to make another pillowcase dress for DD.  I opened it up the other night, and as I did, I actually read the wrapper that was bundling it together, and it said "do not pre-wash" on it. Have you ever seen this?  I don't understand why.

I'm making a dress - I need to pre-wash it!  That's all I know.  For a quilt or something like that, I never pre-wash, but a dress?  I don't know what to do if I don't pre-wash - won't it shrink?  It's cotton, just plain old cotton fabric - why would it tell me not to pre-wash it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "do not pre-wash" ?? Help, please.

• Hmm.  I don't know why it says not to pre-wash, but when I used fat quarters for the pillow case dress I made I didn't pre-wash (because I was clueless that you are supposed to).  When I washed the dress after it was complete I didn't notice any big changes to it.  Still looks the same to me and still fits DD!

If I were in your situation now, though, I would probably pre-wash.  Doesn't make sense why you wouldn't for regular cotton!

• The only reason I can think of is that it's been pre-treated already for colour fading.  With a quilt, that'd be really the only big concern, so they've marked it as a service so that you know you don't HAVE to prewash.

For a dress, I'd pre-wash it for sure.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It is such a small piece of fabric that if you were to wash it it could fray quite a bit.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image CougFan:
    It is such a small piece of fabric that if you were to wash it it could fray quite a bit.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image LittleFish1:
    image CougFan:
    It is such a small piece of fabric that if you were to wash it it could fray quite a bit.

This would be my fear.  Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that fat quarters won't shrink, so if you don't wash until after you sew it you *should* hopefully be fine. 

• The fraying was a concern that had occurred to me, too.  But I made her another pillowcase dress from fat quarters, and I pre-washed and the fraying wasn't too bad.  I only use about 1/2 of each quarter in the dress, so even if it does fray pretty badly, it won't be a problem, I'll just have less fabric leftover. 

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to pre-wash it tonight.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

• When I pre-wash small pieces of fabric, I put them in a lingerie bag.  Or if you don't have a lingerie bag, I'll put them in a pillow case and tie it shut.

It may be all in my brain, but seems like they don't fray as bad...