Sorry it's taken me a few days to post, but Asher Robert arrived last Wednesday at 2:35PM in the afternoon. If you remember any of my earlier posts...yes that's 1 day before my scheduled c-section lol. Here's what happened:
I woke up with a cramp in the wee hours of April 24th - probably around 4-5AM or so. I thought to myself, hey that hurts - but it's probably just a BH. I went back to sleep, only to be awoken again shortly later with another one, then another... they were getting more painful and around 6AM, I started to think this could be it! So I took a shower and ate some breakfast, then by 8AM or so I was sure I was in labor, so I told DH: "There's some action happening, we need to get to the hospital!" I called my doc who wanted to see me. I told her that I really felt I needed to go to the hospital, but she thought there was no way I was in active labor yet, so she really wanted to see me. I wasn't too happy about it but I went. They got me right in, she checked my cervix and looked at me in surprise: "Do you know how far dilated you are?" "um...2-3cm maybe?" I said. Nope - 7cm! She was like, yeah you do need to get to the hospital. Duh! That's what I'd been telling her. She asked if I still wanted to do a c section, and I said well since I'm already halfway there I might as well give the VBAC a try. Up until then the contractions had not been too bad, but they got a lot worse by the time I got to the hospital (probably because I had entered into transition, one of those most painful stages of labor). My doc had called ahead and so they had a room ready and got fluids started right away since I knew I wanted an epidural. They drew some blood, and after a while the anesthesiologist came. But they couldn't place the epidural yet, because they had to wait for some lab results! By then I was moaning and groaning with the pain. I had a good nurse who kept calling and telling them they needed the lab results right away, finally we got them and they could start the epi!. Ugh...holding still for an epidural while in the throes of labor is not easy, let me tell you! But I did it and we got it in, and about 20-30 minutes later things felt a lot better.
It wasn't too long before it was time to push. Now since I was a VBAC and my daughter had turned the wrong way, which necessitated the c-section last time, they basically babysat me through the whole thing. I had a doctor or midwife there the whole time, which is not the norm, so that was great! The doctor told me that my pelvis is so wide that the baby had a lot of room to turn and move, which is probably why my daughter got stuck the wrong way. For most women, the pelvis area is barely big enough and forces the baby into the right position. So they stayed, and I was so glad I had the epidural because they constantly had one or more hands up in there trying to reposition him as he moved down. I was worried I couldn't do it and that the same thing would happen again, but they assured me that they wouldn't let it happen again and that I could do it. Even so, he wanted to come up sunny-side up and so I had some serious back labor going on before the epi kicked in! Anyways, to make a long story short, right at the end he turned the right way and I was able to push him out! He was 9 lbs. 4oz. and 21.5" long! Because he was so big and he was my first vaginal delivery, I had a couple of tears which took them a while to repair (again thank God for the epi). We came home on Friday and I was pretty sore and felt like I had been hit by a truck, but since then, my hooha has felt a little better each day. I lost almost complete control of my bladder too. :( I think it's starting to come back, but I have a feeling it will be a while before I have full control. So, Poise pads for me for a while lol. But - I did it!
Big sister Brynn is really sweet to him and wants to pat him all the time, help change him, hold a bottle for him, etc. She's been acting up a little but it's not really much different from what she's been doing the last few months, so I'm not sure I can blame it on the baby. I think the hardest part is due to how crappy I still feel (and how I feel like I cannot walk 2 feet without losing the contents of my bladder), I cannot do as much with/for her, and I think we both miss that. I'm hoping I feel a lot better in a week or two and can get back to doing more stuff with her soon. Asher is doing great, he's a healthy big boy and a pretty good nurser too. So far he has been a calm baby, but I won't make any judgements on his temperament for another couple of weeks! Anyways just wanted to let you all know how things went and wish everyone else the best!