2nd Trimester

Host My Own Baby Shower .. ?

Re: Host My Own Baby Shower .. ?

• Just sayin'...my new house is awesome and has a killer pool. Since my mom and sisters are planning the shower for Labor Day (ha!), my sisters asked if we could have it at my house. They are planning it and I could not be more grateful. My hubby is also going to make it like a Labor Day cookout with the guys so that will keep him busy. So, in essence, I am not planning my shower, but it will be at my house...I think that makes it ok!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Indifferent  Hell, I got married last year and had a nice wedding and reception for just a little over 5000, I can NOT begin to imagine spending that much on a baby shower! Even 500 seems high! But that is beside the point, I just had to throw my 2 cents worth in on the cost alone..I haven't read the hundreds of posts yet
    Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imagePrimRoseMama:
    PeaceLoveGreen: Caught you in another lie by the way. 

Originally you said your mom thought that she needed to spend a lot of money on you (suit and tie affair, something like 5K). So, no where in that discussion did you mention she wanted to throw you a simply BBQ. So, either she wanted to throw you a 5K party or a BBQ. It sounds like you just wanted to make it seem like her original idea so as not to acknowledge that your real intent this entire thread was to throw you own party and you wanted people to validate you. 

So, yeah, what was that about being an honest and open person again?

I agree 100%, but you know what they say you shouldnt agrue with CRAZY! She wont get it. Clearly having a normal constructive converstation is too much for her!

• imagepeacelovegreen:
    imagealexandra1818:

Definitely don't throw your own shower... a shower is a gift to you and your partner.  So, if you don't trust your family to do it right, you can say no thanks and just not have one.  NEVER is it appropriate to throw your own.  EVER.

If you're really concerned about it not being "up to your standards", you can throw a "Meet the Baby" party after the baby's arrived. That's not for gifts, just a get together --- and that one you can throw yourself, and make it as perfect as you want.

That's the thing , I really am not trying to come off as a brat . I've hosted two other showers and feel I just know what I am doing . I don't think my mother has ever hosted one , esp w how much she thinks she needs to spend to please me . I love the idea of having someone host it , I just don't like the idea of having that "pressure" on them . But I also did think about hosting a Meet the Baby in my new home , my SIL did that for my nephew . ( There were gifts , but it wasn't expected I guess ) I really am not doing it for the gifts , I just have so much family in different states and know they would all love to come see me to celebrate , but of course they will be asking about the registry .

If you are doing this cause you want family to celebrate with you, then do a "meet the baby party" a month or so after LO is born. 

But throwing your own shower? If we were friends, and you told me you wanted to do that.... I'd throat punch you. You sound like you want this to be all about you, you you.... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not going to totally flame you, but:

plan your own shower = no

Also, $500 is way too much to spend on a shower IMO, let alone $5000. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wow. This conversation is still happening? o.O
  • imageyomama2013:
    Wow. This conversation is still happening? o.O

welcome to TB. This thread will never die! :P

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageBliss+Berry:
    imagepeacelovegreen:
    imagebluegirl0429:

Yes, proper etiquette states that you shouldn't host your own baby shower. We had a discussion last week about this. 

BUT..women on these boards have absolutely no right telling you whether you can't throw your own. That is the point I was trying to get across. Who is to say what you should do with your own situation? People don't realize that family and culture remain different throughout the country. Plus, everybody has a different story. 

I like the idea of "meet the baby party." Maybe you can state on the invitation "no gifts necessary" or something to that effect (which pleases etiquette and your husband). Plus, I like a previous poster's suggestions on co-hosting with your mother. That way, you get a lot of the say in the planning process. 

I think an ocean/beach theme would be cute. You are thinking of having it in the summer right? 

Thank you for your ideas . Yes it will be at the end of July / beginning of August . I didn't really understand the joke when I said I wanted to do a "Meet the Baby in the Oven" Party and others thought it would be funny for a pregnant woman to be sprawled naked on a table . To me that "joke" was immature and rude , and I'm sure most of you are much older than me . I feel comfortable letting my mom host and I can help w minor details and help her stay on track . Which then others say I'm "undermining" my own mother - funny . Lots of people here have unresolved personal issues and feel the need to bash the first newbie they see instead of genuinely wanting to help . Thanks again !

Unless you are 16, that's a pretty odd assumption, that we are much older than you.  

even if she is 16 thats quite odd because I'm pretty sure I said I was "young and dumb" being 16 I STILL wouldnt be much older than her. (sorry I was a little late on this one had to hop off and find some sinus meds I could take)
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageBliss+Berry:

imageyomama2013:

Yes, and here you are, reading it. o.O   

Did you have a point? 

LMAO
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • imageMrsMuq:

No.

If you host your own shower, you will look like a tacky, gift-grabby brat.

And what on earth do the colors you prefer for your forthcoming DS have to do with planning your own shower?! If you want items those colors, register for them.

Ugh. This. Very tacky. 

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagepeacelovegreen:
    imagePrimRoseMama:
    imagepeacelovegreen:

now that makes me a liar for understanding where your coming from and letting you know that I will not be a "special snowflake" and host it myself . Not sure why I even reply to you as you seem to be the ignorant one .  

Oh my goodness. I can't believe I have to explain this to you. Please please don't claim I am the ignorant one when the basic rules of communication seem to evade you. No you are not a liar for changing your mind. That is human nature. Change your mind and bless the universe that you've changed your mind. However, don't try to make it seem like this was one huge misunderstanding from the start and that is what you want to do (a small bbq etc.) from the very beginning. That is NOT what you wanted to do from the beginning and you said so yourself. 

You are behaving like a liar for trying to pass off what you are deciding to do NOW as what you originally intended to do in the first place. You were responding to the other poster as if that is what your intent was from the very beginning. That makes it seem like you are trying to lie about this entire thread. Is that clear enough for you? I really cannot believe I had to explain that. 

Thank you for understanding that people change their minds . But unfortunately you didn't know that I already had a huge conversation w my mom about 2 weeks ago and HER idea was a bbq at her house . Now that someone else mentioned it , it confirms that idea for me . Again , I didn't think I needed to put every single detail of my life just to get simple opinions . But once again , this will be trying to justify my lies again lol .

I know I am late to this thread, but if your mom threw out the idea of a BBQ at her house, then why do you feel the need to host your own shower? You said the point of hosting your own shower was so that your mom didn't go overboard (and then a host of tacky things such as making sure it was just like you want). If your mom's idea was to do a BBQ, I fail to see how that could be going "overboard" or cause her to spend $5000. If she was suggesting a BBQ, she obviously wasn't planning the black tie event that you keep talking about. So what was the REAL motivation for hosting your own? To control the color scheme? 

Also, I really don't understand why you keep harping on the idea of having a party BEFORE the birth if you all you want is to celebrate the baby and that gifts are not important. Why not just buy all the stuff yourself and then have a REAL "Meet the Baby" party after the baby is born?

There is so much backtracking in this thread it made me dizzy.  

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• dh13 fantastic use of the dead horse GIF.

Primrose I demand the last hour of my life back. But I'll except a selfinflicted punch on your behalf.
  • imagetaylormarie923:
    dh13 fantastic use of the dead horse GIF.

Primrose I demand the last hour of my life back. But I'll except a selfinflicted punch on your behalf.

That was supposed to say cu nt punch. TB figured out the replace u with v trick.
  • imageBliss+Berry:

imageyomama2013:

Yes, and here you are, reading it. o.O   

Did you have a point? 

Actually I didn't read anything else from this conversation just saw that it had gotten to seven pages and was just like wow...cause I thought the OP said she'd stop responding.

I don't have to have a point to comment?

• Honestly I cant read this insanely long thread, it would make me super sad.  I have no one to really throw a shower for me.  My mom passed away when I was a kid, Im not close with family and I would never want to financially burden any of my friends with having to throw me a shower.  I would rather throw a fun party myself for everyone to get together.  I dont see it as gift grabby.  The opposite since Im paying for the party to not inconvenience anyone else.  I guess if I had close family or a mom it would be different but I had no idea it would be perceived that way.  My friends all seemed excited when I talked about it but now I wonder if I should even have a shower at all.  
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• imagetaylormarie923:

So, can you explain what you are suggesting here? That I deserve a c.unt punch? That's klassy...

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imagedh13:

imagetaylormarie923:
    imagetaylormarie923:

That was supposed to say cu nt punch. TB figured out the replace u with v trick.

its bc we use the term so frequently now! Lmao they have caught onto us!&nbsp;

Also, if you are saying I deserve a c.unt punch I offer you this:

Accept vs. except:
    https://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/acceptexcept.html

YWIA.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I think we are all missing the most obvious question here... Why the h are all of OP's punctuation marks two spaces after the end of every sentence?!
  • Sorry that your Mom wants to spend so much on your shower?
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Taking bets right now: This thread goes to 10 pages.

Takers?

• So she wants to host her own baby shower. I wouldn't do it, but why do some of you care so much? Honestly, I think it's all kind of boring.
  • imageBliss+Berry:

imageVCK:
    So she wants to host her own baby shower. I wouldn't do it, but why do some of you care so much? Honestly, I think it's all kind of boring.

You read through 7 pages of posts and posted about how boring it is?  You're doing it wrong.

All wrong, man.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Do you know what I just noticed? In the OP, she calls him her hubby and in the rest of the thread she refers to him as her fianc. So, OP, are you married or not?
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageBliss+Berry:

imageVCK:
    So she wants to host her own baby shower. I wouldn't do it, but why do some of you care so much? Honestly, I think it's all kind of boring.

You read through 7 pages of posts and posted about how boring it is?  You're doing it wrong.

Actually, I just skimmed through it...it's the same old crap. Snoozefest!

• imageLiz4444:
    Do you know what I just noticed? In the OP, she calls him her hubby and in the rest of the thread she refers to him as her fianc. So, OP, are you married or not?

LOL seems perhaps someone has wishful thinking!

OP, please do answer this question. Hmm?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:

imageVCK:

If its so boring, then what are you doing here? Go blow rainbows and glitter up someone's butt elsewhere. I'll admit its the same tired stupidity, but I'm waiting to drink my glucose drink. Gotta have something to do.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imageBliss+Berry:
    imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:

imageVCK:

Again, doing.it.wrong.

This post is so boring but I'm just going to keep coming back to it and posting about how boring it is. 

Who are YOU to tell me or anyone else they are doing something wrong. The shower opinions are so tired. Seriously, who gives a crap!

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:

imageVCK:

If its so boring, then what are you doing here? Go blow rainbows and glitter up someone's butt elsewhere. I'll admit its the same tired stupidity, but I'm waiting to drink my glucose drink. Gotta have something to do.

Prim- I thought you already did the glucose test??

• imageJocelynB0911:
    imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:

imageVCK:

Prim- I thought you already did the glucose test??

Nope. I have my appointment today at 10am.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imageBliss+Berry:
    imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:

imageVCK:

Again, doing.it.wrong.

This post is so boring but I'm just going to keep coming back to it and posting about how boring it is. 

Who are YOU to tell me or anyone else they are doing something wrong. The shower opinions are so tired. Seriously, who gives a crap!

You obviously give a crap.  Why are you even here?  The title of the post clearly says Baby Shower in it and there are seven pages all about baby showers.  If you don't give a crap, then why are you even reading and posting is my point.  If you are so bored and don't give a crap, reading all this shiz and and posting about it doesn't exactly scream "this topic bores me."  Hence, if you are so intent on showing us how boring you think this topic is, posting about it and reading about it is "doing it wrong."  

I think I spelled that out clearly enough for even the most obtuse person on the planet.  If you can't figure it out, there really is no helping you.   

Again, I did not read it all. I was skimming at 4:45 this morning on my iPhone when I couldn't sleep.I certainly don't need to read it all to know what's going on...I just get sick of people freaking out on someone because they are clueless or have bad etiquette. The reason I have been checking back recently is because I see you have responded to me. Is this so hard for you to understand? Is that doing.it.wrong? Please please tell me? I need you opinion on that before I can go on with my day.

• imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:

imageVCK:

Again, doing.it.wrong.

You obviously give a crap.  Why are you even here?  The title of the post clearly says Baby Shower in it and there are seven pages all about baby showers.  If you don't give a crap, then why are you even reading and posting is my point.  If you are so bored and don't give a crap, reading all this shiz and and posting about it doesn't exactly scream "this topic bores me."  Hence, if you are so intent on showing us how boring you think this topic is, posting about it and reading about it is "doing it wrong."  

I think I spelled that out clearly enough for even the most obtuse person on the planet.  If you can't figure it out, there really is no helping you.   

Again, I did not read it all. I was skimming at 4:45 this morning on my iPhone when I couldn't sleep.I certainly don't need to read it all to know what's going on...I just get sick of people freaking out on someone because they are clueless or have bad etiquette. The reason I have been checking back recently is because I see you have responded to me. Is this so hard for you to understand? Is that doing.it.wrong? Please please tell me? I need you opinion on that before I can go on with my day.

So you are sick on people freaking out on others. Check.

You think, in your world of rational thought, that freaking out on others is solution?

Yeah, I'd say doing it wrong is the tip of the iceberg.

Its not that anyone here (but you) has understanding issues. Its that you are freaking out on people too, but don't see any problem with it.

Obviously you need something before you go on with your day. I suggest a cup of a coffee and a sense of humor.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageVCK:
    imageBliss+Berry:

imageVCK:

Again, doing.it.wrong.

So you are sick on people freaking out on others. Check.

You think, in your world of rational thought, that freaking out on others is solution?

Yeah, I'd say doing it wrong is the tip of the iceberg.

Its not that anyone here (but you) has understanding issues. Its that you are freaking out on people too, but don't see any problem with it.

Obviously you need something before you go on with your day. I suggest a cup of a coffee and a sense of humor.

PrimWeed+BerryGirl=Besties

LOL

• Sleepy wuz here!!!!11!!!

** this gif

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Livening up this board with a GIF dance party for the entertainment of those who made it this far and thought to themselves, "why have I wasted all this time?"

Commence GIF dance party!

• imagedh13:
    imagesleepy33:

Sleepy wuz here!!!!11!!!

** this gif

love u, sleepy! 

Likewise! Oct 13 rulez!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards