October 2013 Moms

Robitussin CF?

Is robitussin cf on the ok list? My doc never gave me a sheet with meds. I go tomorrow but I need some relief.
                                                 imageimage
                                    Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                     Lilypie - (aqIx)

Re: Robitussin CF?

• Robitussin is on my a-okay list from my OB. I also saw my PCP last week because I was so congested and she said to continue with the Robitussin. I just checked the bottle and I have been taking Robitussin Cough & Chest Congestion DM. Neither doctor specified that some kinds are okay and some aren't so I assume they are all okay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Robitussin CF contains guaifenesin (decreases mucus) and pseudoephedrine (decongestant), both of which are on my OK to use in pregnancy list from my MD.  Pseudoephedrine is the preferred decongestant in pregnancy, but it is best to avoid this unless you really need it for your symptoms, and limit the amount you take and duration, especially in the 1st trimester.     

I'm not so sure about about Robitussin DM It contains guaifenesin and dextromethorphan (cough suppressant).  Dextromethorphan is NOT on my ok to use list, so I can't say one way or another--it's your doctor's call.   

Plain guaifenesin (Robitussin, Mucinex) should be fine.  Allergy medicines such as diphenhydramine or chlorpheniramine are sedating, but can help decrease runny nose and post nasal drip.  Tylenol (acetaminophen) is safe to take, too.  I would avoid ibuprofen (Motrin)/naproxen(Aleve) unless specifically oked by your MD. 

Always check the active ingredients list for OTC meds since a single brand name (like Robitussin) can have lots of different formulations, some of which may not be safe.  

• Loading the player...
  • imageheather172:

Robitussin CF contains guaifenesin (decreases mucus) and pseudoephedrine (decongestant), both of which are on my OK to use in pregnancy list from my MD.  Pseudoephedrine is the preferred decongestant in pregnancy, but it is best to avoid this unless you really need it for your symptoms, and limit the amount you take and duration, especially in the 1st trimester.     

I'm not so sure about about Robitussin DM It contains guaifenesin and dextromethorphan (cough suppressant).  Dextromethorphan is NOT on my ok to use list, so I can't say one way or another--it's your doctor's call.   

Plain guaifenesin (Robitussin, Mucinex) should be fine.  Allergy medicines such as diphenhydramine or chlorpheniramine are sedating, but can help decrease runny nose and post nasal drip.  Tylenol (acetaminophen) is safe to take, too.  I would avoid ibuprofen (Motrin)/naproxen(Aleve) unless specifically oked by your MD. 

Always check the active ingredients list for OTC meds since a single brand name (like Robitussin) can have lots of different formulations, some of which may not be safe.  

Thanks for the information. My list doesn't mention ingredients, just the brand. I will definitely get that figured out. 

• Mine told me plain robitussin was the only one that was okay.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ugh I got the cf maximum strength by accident that's the phenylephrine one. I don't think we can take that.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • General consensus of the interwebs seems to be that it is unlikely that I've caused any irreparable harm, so I don't need to have a meltdown just yet, but I'll switch to the plain stuff to be on the safe side. 

Ugh. I hate being so congested. 

• imageshelley1002:
    Mine told me plain robitussin was the only one that was okay.

My OB said the same thing.  

Me; 28 Hubby: 29 - TTC since 5/11 - PCOS Cycle #18-21 Clomid & Trigger & TI = BFN 
    Cycle #22 Gonal-F & Trigger & IUI = BFFP!! EDD 10/4/13 Beta#1 50.5, Beta#2 212, Beta#3 452, First HB 133!!!Logan William born 10/7
  • Mine said the same. She specifically said do not get the one with DM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"