Breastfeeding

Baby never wakes up to eat :/

I am bfing and ever since the beginning my son has never woken up to eat, he's now 15 days old. I nurse him every 3 hours during the day, and every 4 hours at night. I feel like I need to wake him up every 3 hours to keep my breasts from getting too full and engorged. I am also nursing on one breast per feed because I have a great/over supply. Any thoughts on this? I realize he might not be hungry when I wake him up to eat but I feel like I need to in order to help myself as well.

Re: Baby never wakes up to eat :/

• Is your baby awake at all during the day?  It's not normal for a newborn to sleep 24 hours a day.... have your LOs jaundice levels been checked?

Yes, you're right to keep waking him at least every 3 hours during the day, but at this point he should have somewhat awake periods as well...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• nahwnahw
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    He's awake after feeds or at random times. He doesn't seem to cry for food though.
  • Are you taking any pain medication from your delivery?  In hindsight, I think the reason my baby slept so much the first two weeks and struggled with nursing (we had more problems than sleep) was the pain medication my doctor had me on made him drowsy.  I still feel guilty about this, despite knowing I could not have done without the pain medication and was taking the minimum necessary to survive.

As the other poster stated, yes, continue to wake him to feed.  My doctor had me stop waking our baby to feed at 2 weeks; however at that point I was off the pain medication and he was waking on his own to nurse overnight. 

• Crying is a late sign of hunger, are there other cues you may be missing? If baby starts to root then they are hungry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards