I know I have to make this decision on my own, but I sure would like the input of some other working moms. Neither of these jobs are glamorous at all, they are just government jobs and my plan is to stay in government for ten years for loan forgiveness. Pay is virtually the same.
My current job is as a child support enforcement attorney. I just started this year and it's my first job out of law school, so I am lucky they took a chance on me in this market. So far, they have provided thorough, slow-paced training and I don't even have a full caseload yet.
-lots of flexibility with my time
-I know what to expect
-I actually kind of like what I do and the idea of it
-I am technically indefinitely temporary, which means NO health insurance for me, DH, or baby, no paid leave or holidays. There is no guarantee whether or when they might promote me to permanent status, and they have a reputation for hiring from outside instead of promoting from within
-If I were "promoted," I would have to sign a two-year commitment and would not receive any kind of raise. After this "promotion" there are NO other promotions available in our office. Ever.
-lots of car travel (I am reimbursed but it's still a pain)
-my coworkers/environment are gossipy and hostile
The new job would be as a public defender. It's a smaller office with a relatively light caseload (I clerked there for a few months). I would probably be thrown into court with minimal training.
-much closer to home, and NO travel
-I would be permanent with benefits immediately
-It would be nice to have developed experience in two practice areas rather than just one, for future use
-The hassle of switching jobs
-The joy of figuring out how to tell them I'm pregnant (I haven't told my current employer yet either, and even though that conversation won't be easy, there's nothing like having it at the negotiation table)
-Don't know what to expect, dealing with (accused) criminals isn't fun, and I might hate it
-Immediately under two-year contract
So there you have it. I have until Wednesday to decide. I'm not in a huge hurry for the insurance because I have Medicaid for this pregnancy, but my husband is emphatic about it because he needs medical attention, can't get insurance through his job, won't leave his job. What are your thoughts? Is there a tactful way to tell my current employer that I have another offer in attempt to get them to promote me to permanent? If I accept the new job, should I inform them immediately about the pregnancy and the leave I'll need so as not to have to tell them in a couple of weeks anyway and appear subversive? I know the laws about hiring pregnant women but I want to be fair.
Thanks in advance!