June 2013 Moms

Would you ever consider...

Would you ever want to be a surrogate? Would you ever consider having a surrogate to conceive children if needed?

One of my coworkers is 40, and she's a surrogate. She felt that since a lot of people want babies of their own, and since she's done having children, she wanted to help others start families.
I give her props to be 40 and pregnant. I know that 40 isn't that old, but she has a 21 year old daughter, a 16 year old daughter, and two 9 month old grandchildren. Busy woman!

Re: Would you ever consider...

• I would not...but I'm pretty miserable being pregnant. I have morning sickness through the whole 9 months. Yuck! Plus last time I went into pre e at the end, so the risk to my health just wouldn't be worth it.

• Don't think so, but I don't really like being pregnant if I did I might reconsider.
  • I absolutely would, for someone who really WANTED to be pregnant but couldn't. I have a few friends who suffer from infertility, and I've considered doing it for them under certain conditions.

After this LO I'm considering donating eggs.
  • If this pregnancy isnt a flook and my body handles future ones as well I could consider it for the right person.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, I'm actually considering this for my sister. She is 37 and has had 3 miscarriages. They are going to try a round of IVF and see where that leads. If not I would in a heartbeat.
  • Other then my hesitation because I have HG this pregnancy 

I would in a heartbeat for friends/family.  We struggled to get pregnant and I understand how hard it can be for some couples. 

• I can't answer this question until I actually go through child birth. I'm 40 and the pregnancy hasn't been too bad and it's my first. Barring an uncomplicated birth experience I'd absolutely consider it.

• No. But I applaud women who are able to make that kind of sacrifice for someone else. Being pregnant has been the challenge of my life, and I've truly hated every miserable minute of it. I'm counting the days until its over...I'll be amazed if I am even willing to give my child a sibling at this point. Hopefully in a few years the memory will have faded enough to bring on #2.  

• I might be willing if my sister were to need it. And I would probably accept it if she were to offer and I needed it. But I don't think I would consider anyone else.

• I don't think I could. I don't think I could ever give up a baby I carried in my body for 9 months.
    Aside from that, I'm high risk, so it wouldn't be ideal for anyone.
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would be a surrogate for my sisters in a minute
  • I absolutely would have for close family and friends, but part of the reason I'm having my tubes tied is because pregnancy is just very rough on my body so I think my pregnant days are done after this birth.
  • Yes for a close friend or family member who could not have kids. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I would consider it for a close friend or family member.  I'm not sure if I would do it for a stranger though.

I had GD with my first but not this one.  I'm still at  high risk for GD with future pregnancies so that might be a factor.  Other than that, I've had two very easy and good pregnancies.

• I would consider it. I actually have really enjoyed my pregnancy and have had no major complications. However, I might have an easier time being a surrogate to a complete stranger. I have become really attached to this baby, and I would have trouble giving him/her up and then seeing him/her regularly. That being said, if someone like my sister needed it, I wouldn't think twice.
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • No, I would not.
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • Totally would do it and plan on doing it once the Hubby and I are done expanding our own family. I will also be donating my eggs as well.

DD1 5/16/2006 8lbs 3oz 21" (2 days late, 36.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/08/09 6w5d
    DS1 6/27/2013 7lbs 9oz 19.5" (1 day late, 17.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/18/13 6w1d Twins
    BFP#5 4/6/13 EDD 12/16/2014

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • clizhclizh
    2500 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper

I'm very surprised that a service/agency allowed her to be a surrogate at her age.

I have considered it, I love being pregnant but I don't think I have the emotional strength to carry a child for 9 months that isn't mine.

I am strongly considering donating eggs though.

If we were infertile I wouldn't choose surrogacy, I would adopt. I don't believe I would be able to handle the fact that some other woman was carrying my child, while I was denied that privilege for some reason unknown to me.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm not sure I could. Big maybe for a sister who was having issues conceiving. I don't know. It's just such an emotional and physical sacrifice, one can hardly answer that question lightly without weighing it out first. I'm not even sure I want more than one child myself. But again, not making that decision while 8 months pregnant with first baby. Sometimes WHEN you make a decision is just as important as the decision you make itself.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would never be a surrogate. If some really close member really needed one, I'd have to seriously think about it, but pregnancy hasn't been a good experience for me, so most likely no. On the other hand, I'd love a surrogate to carry my next child if I decided to have another, if I can afford one.
    imageimage
  • I would love to. But I have HG, and being pregnant is a huge burden on my family, so it is not in the cards for us. 
    Please forgive my typos! I'm not as dumb as my iphone would like you to believe :)
    The Maiden Metallurgist
    Curious about babywearing? Check out my friend Meredith's Babyweraring Guide Untitled BabyFruit Ticker
  • A friend of mine did it for a friend of ours. She carried twins boys for 36 weeks.it was tough on her body and her marriage, but my BF has the most amazing gift ever.

I don't know if I would. I would have to discuss with my husband. It would change both of our lives even for a short time,but giving the miracle of life to someone else is amazing.  

TTC: 07/2012 - BFP: 9/30/12 - EDD: 6/9/13

Radley Quinn was fashionably late via induction on 6/17/13

• BC&LMBC&LM
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary
    I think I would, but only if it were for someone I am very close to and only if it were her eggs or donor eggs, and not my own. I don't think I could handle traditional surrogacy: using my own eggs. If the child were biologically mine, I don't see how I could give him or her up.
  • I would, but only for a sister or close friend so I knew I would have a relationship with LO. I kind of don't mind being pregnant, though I do miss beer...
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I dont know if I could do it. Id love to be able to do that for someone but I just think that Id become way to attached to the baby in utero.
    I see how attached and basically in love I am with my baby now. I couldnt imagine handing him off to someone else.
    However, maybe my mindset would be different bc Id know going in that the baby wasnt mine. I dont know. Its really tough to say.
  • I would consider it for one of my sisters but absolutely not besides that. I hate being pregnant.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards