Back story: My first c-section (22 months ago) was because of a placental abruption in labor when I was only 4cm. Unfortunately I was also 11 days past my due date and DD ended up weighing 9 lbs 11oz.
VBAC story: After my second membrane stripping, I went into labor at 40w2d. I used my hypnobabies training to relax. I walked and walked and bounced on my birthing ball. I waited until the contractions, which I couldn't walk or talk through were 3 minutes apart for 3 hours. My goal had been to arrive at the hospital in very active labor around 6cm dilated. DH and I drove to the hospital and I honestly thought there was a chance that we wouldn't make it. When I got to the hospital everyone was so excited that I arrived in such active labor and the vbac was looking likely. The nurses told DH he may not have time to get my cell phone from the car. But then the doctor checked me and I was only 1cm, unchanged from my appt 2 days before. I was devastated. I considered begging them to just do the c-section if they wanted to send me home. Luckily they could see my contractions on the monitor and how uncomfortable I was so they kept me. They offered me a shot of morphine, which I gladly accepted. That took the edge off the contractions. I could still feel them but it was much more manageable. 90 minutes later I was 3-4 cm and I got an epidural (which, for the record was amazing!). It was midnight at that point so I relaxed while my contractions stayed strong and close together all night. I progressed a little quicker than 1cm/hr. Once I was fully dilated they broke my water. I pushed for 7 minutes and she came out. I sobbed hysterically as they cleaned her off on my chest. My beautiful VBAC baby came out at 8lbs 7oz 19.75 inches long.
I did have a second degree tear and two other little ones that required stitches, but the recovery is not even comparable to my c-section.
Other info: There were many points in this pregnancy when I really thought vbac was off the table. At 18 weeks my OB noticed that the placenta was growing over my c-section scar and 2 weeks MFM diagnosed me with placenta accreta. I was told I would need c-section, but when we went to see how complicated it would be at 26 weeks a different MFM told us he didn't see what the other guy saw and he took away the accreta diagnosis. We were excited to plan a vbac again! Then LO was breech from 29-34 weeks and again at 36 weeks. I saw a chiropractor who practices the Webster technique and LO flipped head down after my second appt at 36.5 weeks. It was smooth sailing from that point with the exceptions that I was constantly reminded of how late and big my first daughter was and how that lowered my chances for a successful vbac.
I still cannot believe it actually happened!