VBAC

I had my VBAC!

Molly&Molly&
1000 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper

Back story: My first c-section (22 months ago) was because of a placental abruption in labor when I was only 4cm.  Unfortunately I was also 11 days past my due date and DD ended up weighing 9 lbs 11oz.

VBAC story: After my second membrane stripping, I went into labor at 40w2d.  I used my hypnobabies training to relax. I walked and walked and bounced on my birthing ball. I waited until the contractions, which I couldn't walk or talk through were 3 minutes apart for 3 hours. My goal had been to arrive at the hospital in very active labor around 6cm dilated.  DH and I drove to the hospital and I honestly thought there was a chance that we wouldn't make it.  When I got to the hospital everyone was so excited that I arrived in such active labor and the vbac was looking likely.  The nurses told DH he may not have time to get my cell phone from the car. But then the doctor checked me and I was only 1cm, unchanged from my appt 2 days before.  I was devastated. I considered begging them to just do the c-section if they wanted to send me home.  Luckily they could see my contractions on the monitor and how uncomfortable I was so they kept me. They offered me a shot of morphine, which I gladly accepted.  That took the edge off the contractions.  I could still feel them but it was much more manageable.  90 minutes later I was 3-4 cm and I got an epidural (which, for the record was amazing!).  It was midnight at that point so I relaxed while my contractions stayed strong and close together all night. I progressed a little quicker than 1cm/hr.  Once I was fully dilated they broke my water. I pushed for 7 minutes and she came out.  I sobbed hysterically as they cleaned her off on my chest.  My beautiful VBAC baby came out at 8lbs 7oz 19.75 inches long. :)  

I did have a second degree tear and two other little ones that required stitches, but the recovery is not even comparable to my c-section. 

Other info: There were many points in this pregnancy when I really thought vbac was off the table.  At 18 weeks my OB noticed that the placenta was growing over my c-section scar and 2 weeks MFM diagnosed me with placenta accreta.  I was told I would need c-section, but when we went to see how complicated it would be at 26 weeks a different MFM told us he didn't see what the other guy saw and he took away the accreta diagnosis.  We were excited to plan a vbac again! Then LO was breech from 29-34 weeks and again at 36 weeks.  I saw a chiropractor who practices the Webster technique and LO flipped head down after my second appt at 36.5 weeks. It was smooth sailing from that point with the exceptions that I was constantly reminded of how late and big my first daughter was and how that lowered my chances for a successful vbac.

I still cannot believe it actually happened!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: I had my VBAC!

• What a roller coaster! I am so glad it all worked out.  Congratulations!!!

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    TTC#2 - Shocked to get a BFP first postpartum cycle  
    Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo

TTC # 3 June 2014
  • Wow! That is such a great birth story! I am so glad you got your VBAC! :) I was crying when it happened, too. Still makes me tear up when I think about it. I'm so happy for you!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah! Congrats! I felt so awesome after mine, it erased 2 years of crap I felt after my c/s.

Well done, mama!
  • image lalamakita:
    Yeah! Congrats! I felt so awesome after mine, it erased 2 years of crap I felt after my c/s. Well done, mama!

Agreed.  So happy for your success!  Enjoy your new baby and the thrill of success.

• Yay yay yay! Congrats!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Congratulations!! Your story really highlights the importance of a 2nd opinion when your'e told a vbac is not an option. 

I'm so impressed that you were able to progress more quickly in the hospital than at home. That's great! If you don't mind sharing, how many hours did you labor at home before transferring? I'm curious, because in my first labor, I also found that the timing and intensity of contractions was not a reliable indicator of my dilation either. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congratulations! This is wonderful news!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Amazing story!!!  Congrats!!!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Congrats!!!  So happy for you!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • image mrs.jenRN:
    Wow! That is such a great birth story! I am so glad you got your VBAC! :) I was crying when it happened, too. Still makes me tear up when I think about it. I'm so happy for you!

I agree!  I tear up almost every time I read a success story!  I am SO happy for you.  It is the greatest thing in the world when something you've strived for, stressed out over, cried about, prayed for, all for so long works out just how you wanted it to!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congratulations! I always love to hear successful stories!! And so great to hear your recovery is going well!! Thanks for sharing your story! Also good to hear another mom that got to the hospital in crazy pain only to find out you were only 1 cm!! So difficult to know what his going on during labor sometimes!
  • Congrats!! I love success stories as I gear up to fight for my vbac!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Congratulations! !! How wonderful! I too tear up when I read the VBAC success stories.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image cecilyandgautam:
    Congratulations!! Your story really highlights the importance of a 2nd opinion when your'e told a vbac is not an option.nbsp;I'm so impressed that you were able to progress more quickly in the hospital than at home. That's great! If you don't mind sharing, how many hours did you labor at home before transferring? I'm curious, because in my first labor, I also found that the timing and intensity of contractions was not a reliable indicator of my dilation either.nbsp;

Thanks everyone!

My dr stripped my membranes at 9am on Tuesday. I had contractions and cramping off and on from that point but around 3:30pm Wednesday they came and stayed at regular 5 to 7 minute intervals. At 6pm they were every 3 minutes and around 9pm we left for the hospital. I was sure that I would arrive at the hospital nearing transition. My OB told me that my odds for success would increase if I arrived very dilated and got the epi later. You can imagine how crushed I was when I found out about the one cm. I had a 30 minute ugly cry while wrything around on the bed like a crazy person. I don't know if it was the pain medicine that helped me progress or if it was just a coincidence. Who knows? Either way I am still in shock and just so grateful!

• Fantastic! So glad you ended up getting a second opinion on the alleged accreta! Great job laboring and giving birth to your baby.

My third child and second VBAC baby!
    First VBAC birth story - a 2 hr homebirth
    Second VBAC birth story
    - unattended hospital water birth
  • Congratulations!! I am so happy that you got your VBAC! Beautiful story, enjoy your new baby! And good work on fighting for what you wanted and getting a second opinion!
  •  Congrats on the new addition! So happy for you for a great outcome and a successful VBAC.  I just found this board and now I'm trying to get as much info as I can before making some big decisions.  The story of your first pregnancy sounds very similar to mine as I also had a traumatic labor and emergency cs due to placental abruption, but my OB thinks I would be a good candidate for a VBAC this time around.  DD and baby #2 will be 21 months apart so your story gives me hope that I might have a more normal labor this time around.