Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Is it possible to spoil a 10 week old??

Hi out there! Our baby is 10 and a half weeks old. When he begins to get fussy or cranky and is just on the brink of crying, I pick him up to sooth and comfort him. The only time he really will let out a serious cry is if I'm not fast enough with his bottle and he's telling me he's starving! I try to let him fuss it out on his own before I pick him up and when I do so, I'm literally standing in front of him or am just a few feet away, well within eye shot for him. I've been told two or three times in the last couple of weeks that my baby is spoiled and that I am the root cause. Do you think this is true? Is it possible to spoil a baby at such a young age by comforting him when he is about to lose it? Also, how should I handle those nay sayers? What would you say if someone told you that you were spoiling your baby? Thanks!

Re: Is it possible to spoil a 10 week old??

• Options

Seems cruel to leave a helpless, dependant little baby to fend for itself when it's seeking comfort.

Ignore the people telling you that you are spoiling your baby, you are teaching him that he can trust and depend on you...doing so will in retur

• Options

It's easier to comfort them before they lose it than it is after they lose it. I don't consider that spoiling. That's probably exactly what I'd say to someone too.

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think you can spoil a newborn, I was the same way with DD. If she wanted to be held I would hold her. They are learning trust and that is one way to show it by picking them up when they cry. If someone says your spoiling your child you can politel
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Our culture makes us so afraid that we will have clingy needy babies that turn into clingy needed kids and thus adults that are not independent. Just ignore them. Trust your mommy instinct. They don't need you like this forever!<span style="font-size:1

5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • Options

No. You cannot spoil a 10 week old. Do not make your 10 week old CIO. 

How do you handle the nay sayers? It's your freakin' kid. Tell them to bug off.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That is insane. You "spoil" a toddler ? you're talking about a completely defenseless infant. Ignore these people telling you you're spoiling your baby.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You. An spoil a two year old when thy throw a fit in the store because they want candy, so you give in. At 10 weeks old she is crying because she has needs that are not met, this is completely different. You are doin te right thing pick up your baby and t

• Options
    I don't think you can spoil a baby that young but I've had a lot of friends who regretted encouraging there lo's to sleep on their own in bassinet or crib- they would just rock the baby to sleep.  Problem became they then wouldn't sleep anywhere but
  • Options
    imageRunaway22:

No. You cannot spoil a 10 week old. Do not make your 10 week old CIO. 

How do you handle the nay sayers?

~Formerly~AngnShaun~

~~Transferred 2 Perfect Embryos 5/28 - BFP 6/4~~ HAILEY ELIZABETH ~2/16/13~ 6:39am ~ 6lbs 2oz ~ 20" long ~ 1 Year ~ 20lbs 14oz ~ 29.25"~
    ~10.10 Ectopic, 4.11 Nat m/c 9w, 8.11, 1.12, 3.12 CPs~

Follow Me on Pinterest

Angela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (100-in-2012 shelf)
    imageimage

• Options
    He's only 10 weeks old... Not like you ate coddling a ten year old! I think you're fine... You're all he knows for comfort.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem. My husband tells me I'm spoiling DD. I really think I am. Every time my H tries to feed her she screams her head off. But the moment I take over she is fine. So I think you can spoil a 10 week old. 
  • Options

imagehillarynicole2010:
    I'm having the same problem. My husband tells me I'm spoiling DD. I really think I am. Every time my H trie
  • Options

I read a wonderful blog by a mother who attributes her attentive "spoiling" to the reason why her now toddler will ask for things rather than scream for them. This made so much sense to me. I hope that by responding to my LO as early as possible, I am

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

No.

Your baby went from being held 24/7, so even if you hold him half of the day it's still only 50% less than what he's used to.  

Follow your instincts and screw ever

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imagehillarynicole2010:
    I'm having the same problem. My husband tells me I'm spoiling DD. I really think I am. Every time my H trie
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    image=Lee=B:

Seems cruel to leave a helpless, dependant little baby to fend for itself when it's seeking comfort.

Ignore the

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"